Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Long-term Travel Insurance

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Long-term Travel Insurance

Anyone bought LT travel insurance , for a continuous period over 90 days ? Which company did you use , I see some have age restrictions for backpacker insurance ( under 41 ... )

I already have annual cover , free with a packaged Bank account , so might see if they will provide extra cover , but also checking out stand alone policies

Suggestions please

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Can't answer your question, because I don't think the insurance company is really relevant.

I have dealt (as a occupational doctor) with a few repatriations, and I think the service abroad depends on the claims handler..
    SOS international is a very good one for repatriations and communication.. which is essential in times of need...

For myself I have continuous travel insurance through a medial non-profit club, but they cover a max of 90 days abroad...

I would focus on the claims handler...

I thinking of delays , loss of luggage , cameras , cash etc as well as medical cover

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I thinking of delays , loss of luggage , cameras , cash etc as well as medical cover
    Don't know what your travel plans are, but imo the stuff you take is hardly worth insuring...
    Claims will have always have a lot of hassle in the way of how you took care of them... So just don't take things you can't afford to lose...555

Only real thing is medical emergencies and repatriations... But that's just my 5 cents..
    Quarky and anmeno like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Covermore and Nomads.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    I have a 12 month world nomads policy. Covers just medical and repatriation.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    I also have Nomads. About 600AUD a year. Doesn't cover you in Australia when I head home.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Se, most companies I have looked at do a normal 30-45 day holiday policy or they do a frequent traveler policy that last 12 months.
    If you have any existing medical conditions, try a company called Covermore. They were the only ones that would insure me for what I had done with the operation on my heart. All the others would insure me without a problem, bit would not cover myt existing conditions.

Found a company called Holidaysafe.co.uk , good ratings from Which magazine

Medical insurance of 10million , possessions 2000 , plus gadgets 1000 , lots of other bits of cover , watches , eyewear , money , passport etc

70.53 for the period I am looking at

Did you read this?

Avoid holidaysafe insurance! : Travelfish Insurance travel forum

Just one guy's experience... but still maybe worth a read...
    Stillearly likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Directline 125.98 , similar policy ..

I used to have an annual policy with them and know they do pay out ..

Will carry on with my research
    Quarky likes this.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Did you read this?

Avoid holidaysafe insurance! : Travelfish Insurance travel forum

Just one guy's experience... but still maybe worth a read...
    From the tread in travelfish, I would say that insurance is not worth the paper it is written on.
    As everyone know public hospitals in Asia is top notch.

I had been directed to go to a public hospital in Chiang Mai as private wasn't covered

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    From the tread in travelfish, I would say that insurance is not worth the paper it is written on.
    As everyone know public hospitals in Asia is top notch.
    Gotta disagree , we keep seeing stories like this No travel insurance proves costly for Phuket tourist

, I have always had insurance and have thankfully only had to claim once , a friend that I was travelling with died the night before we were due to leave , so I cancelled my holiday - my flight , hotels and other prepaid expenses were reimbursed

Platinum
    Gotta disagree , we keep seeing stories like this No travel insurance proves costly for Phuket tourist

, I have always had insurance and have thankfully only had to claim once , a friend that I was travelling with died the night before we were due to leave , so I cancelled my holiday - my flight , hotels and other prepaid expenses were reimbursed
    I think you misunderstood me.

What I tried to say was that the insurance from Holidaysafe.co.uk is not worth the paper it is written on as according to 2Peas on the travelfish forum that insurance only covers public hospitals.

I would never travel without a travel insurance.

Sorry I did misunderstand

Although it is only one story , most people that are happy won't bother to post about it , I assume most Insurers have a small % of unhappy customers

agree - but the guy in that paticular quoted story may have had trouble getting insurance cover if he was honest with his many pre-existing health conditions; if he lied, then of course insurance co find out and do anything they can to avoid making any payment

often these 'no insurance' stories eventuate from accidents that would not have been covered anyway - the obvious one is anything involving a motorbike, where typically (1) the policy specifically excluded any motorcycle-related accident cover, (2) rider was not licensed (this rules out a claim from pillion too), having never ridden a motorbike before and (3) pissed (ditto re pillion). Then it's hands out for mates to pay up.

Last travel cover I had - 1Cover - policy is 80 pages, exclusions don't get a mention till page 67. And there are plenty of them.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I have a yearly policy with QBE insurance and it cost just over $200 Aust. I found it when searching in the Iselect web site,

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I have a yearly policy with QBE insurance and it cost just over $200 Aust. I found it when searching in the Iselect web site,
    I have accident insurance with QBE. I have found that they are very good.
    I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Just to clarify "yearly" or "annual cover" Most yearly policies cover trips up to 45 days. I used to have one with TID.
    My policy with world Nomads covers me for an entire year of travel. I think mine was about AU$4++ for travel to Asia and the missus paid about AU$6++ because she's also going to UK/Europe.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I am now getting Expat Travel Insurance adverts on my Facebook page, any connection to this thread?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast