Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Seven_
  • 2 Post By Seven_
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By Changone

Thread: International travel after receiving Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar

International travel after receiving Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309)

I am looking for some insights into international travel requirements following the receipt of the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), and thus prior to permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

For example, if a TG had a 309, can they apply to visit the US as a tourist via an ESTA or some similar quick process. Essentially, does having a 309 get them treated similarly to an Australian citizen.

I suppose, the same questions once a 100 is granted, thus Australian resident but not necessarily a citizen.
    Last edited by Nomad; 25th February 2016 at 15:16.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Obviously I wouldn't know Australia but I can tell you our experience.

I don't believe you are married? And I think she just comes for visits in Australia? Doesn't live there permanently?

I can't remember the time frame but Ao was coming here on 6months tourist visas and we applied for a US tourist visa and she got denied.

Then, less than maybe 2 years later she was living in Canada permanently and on a work permit and she got granted a 10 year visitors visa.

So if you guys aren't married and she doesn't live in Australia full time I don't think she'd be treated same as an Aussie citizen.

Also.....even though we applied in Vancouver, they say that it is beneficial for the applicant to apply in the embassy in her country of citizenship.

On a 12 month multi-entry currently, and expect a 309 to be approved mid-year (de-facto version). Under a 309, this would probably be equivalent or closer to Ao's situation when she got 10 years.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    On a 12 month multi-entry currently, and expect a 309 to be approved mid-year (de-facto version). Under a 309, this would probably be equivalent or closer to Ao's situation when she got 10 years.
    But we were married
    I don't think she would have gotten it if we weren't married.

But Vancouver is notorious for giving 10 years or denying it.
    I think just because Canada borders the US.

So, honestly.....they might look at your situation entirely different and judge it as a one off holiday.

I think your recent travel and length of stay in US may help

Seven_
    Australian Permanent Residency has no bearing on entry or visa requirements to a third country, except New Zealand.

Although applying for the visas from Australia with the fact that you are PR, seems to make the process easier.
    Minder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Australian Permanent Residency has no bearing on entry or visa requirements to a third country, except New Zealand.

Although applying for the visas from Australia with the fact that you are PR, seems to make the process easier.
    Can you expand on the NZ bit? Does it differentiate between a 309 and 100?

Seven_
    The 309 visa is a temporary visa, so means pretty much nothing outside what it grants you in Australia. (IMO)

The 100. Is permanent residency.

As an Australia permanent resident, you can travel, live and work in New Zealand etc the same an Australian citizen. (Or very close to it)

After 5 years as PR, you require a resident return visa to re-enter Australia. Which is valid for 5 years.

Not living in Australia, not married to you will IMO work against any advantage you may gain from the 309 visa in a visa application (to a third country) due to it only being a temporary visa. But once you have the PR it (the PR) will work in your favour.
    Gazmac and Nomad like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

The answer is simple. If she has a Thai passport, she can go anywhere else in the world that she is able to obtain a visa for, as a Thai passport holder.
    This won't change unless/until she is able to get a passport from another country.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

The answer is simple. If she has a Thai passport, she can go anywhere else in the world that she is able to obtain a visa for, as a Thai passport holder.
    This won't change unless/until she is able to get a passport from another country.
    I don't think that is true at all
    Once she has traveled a bit and it is seen she has been reliableeith her visas in her 2nd home.....she can travel quite easy on her Thai passport.

We were going to go to France and stopped by the Consulate here and they said it wouldn't be an issue.
    Past travel counts for a lot, IMO
    Nomad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't think that is true at all
    Once she has traveled a bit and it is seen she has been reliableeith her visas in her 2nd home.....she can travel quite easy on her Thai passport.

We were going to go to France and stopped by the Consulate here and they said it wouldn't be an issue.
    Past travel counts for a lot, IMO
    Around 25 international trips and 8 countries over 3 years has got to count for something! Was hoping that it would get us out of the paper warfare, but looks like I will have to wait for the PR and Australian passport for that.

BTW, very cheap flights BKK - LAX or vice versa at the moment for December '16. (A$900 to $1100).

Around 25 international trips and 8 countries over 3 years has got to count for something! Was hoping that it would get us out of the paper warfare, but looks like I will have to wait for the PR and Australian passport for that.

BTW, very cheap flights BKK - LAX or vice versa at the moment for December '16. (A$900 to $1100).
    If most of that travel is in Asia..........it doesn't seem to count.
    They want to see her travelling to countries where she needs to get visas..............and that is where her Australian experience might help

I think with your travel to US and her travels to Australia......those are positives, not being married is a negative

Regarding airfares................I have a blog I get alerts for cheap flights from YVR........the deals coming out to everywhere are astounding........sub 700cad to fly places that used to be 1300

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    baz where are you 555555..the boys need help 55555

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    baz where are you 555555..the boys need help 55555
    I don't think he has travelled to US or Europe with his TG??

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    I am looking for some insights into international travel requirements following the receipt of the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309), and thus prior to permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).

For example, if a TG had a 309, can they apply to visit the US as a tourist via an ESTA or some similar quick process. Essentially, does having a 309 get them treated similarly to an Australian citizen.

I suppose, the same questions once a 100 is granted, thus Australian resident but not necessarily a citizen.
    Mrs M was in Oz with me and Bali, Singapore and Penang were the extent of our o/s travels thru that period. PR made no difference, it was all about the PP and citizenship and we delayed our Europe travel till Mrs M had her Australian Passport
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    he has been very quiet lately..have you upset him paulie 55555555555555...

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    he has been very quiet lately..have you upset him paulie 55555555555555...
    Me.........how could I ever upset anyone? Little ol me

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    The Aussie passport is the ultimate prize mate. Before then it just sux........... I will never forget the day Dao said "freedom for the world" I will go with you everywhere. Now she would rather stay at home!!!!!!!!!!

10 K a day in the pool lost 30 kegs First 400 is near Olympic qualifying times is the goal rest is swimming out the lactic. Head space is so so clear...working on printing heart valves and joints being printed from a MIR.

Dao needed visa to enter NZ 13 Years ago (See snow) as permanent resident still only Thai PP is the only thing that matters mate.

I GREW UP WITH THIS TO WAIT 5555555555 It plays in my head for any waiting. Just frustration you'er doing well

I dream in Chinese now but for the waiting.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

....Lost 10 K a day playing pool, drank 30 kegs, First $400 on red, near Rio Olympics, good times is the goal....

There, fixed it for you...555
    Zablive likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar

Been there - done that.
    I've no real interest as an older gentleman in revisting either to see how the backpackers, Millennials and Yuppies have ruined them.
    I know SFA about visas to either - not interested.