Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Thailand Immigration update - regional experiences

Thailand Immigration update - regional experiences

Since late last year (2016), all Chiang Mai Immigration services had moved to Promenada Mall whilst long awaited demolition and rebuilding commenced on the Airport site.

Promenada services have improved out of sight since the partial move of 2 years ago which saw very long early am queues and too many grumpy old men getting wound up over document* requirements. *Mostly self-induced.

The new sub offices eg Lamhun, have taken the strain off CM which has become far more efficient anyway. They ditched that personal info form pretty quick too ... no means of data storage/retrieval other than on paper.

If one arrives early, say 0700 (not 2am anymore) you'll get a visa extension slot for the same day.

I have only done 1 x 90 day report in 2 years and walked in at 11am to be served not long after but that was an exception rather than the rule.

I also choose to use an agent to process my extension/re-entry rather than arrive at 7am and be there until late afternoon, cost is 3,500 for G4T fast track service and usually means depositing docs with them (office also in Promenada) before lunch and returning at 3pm to collect stamped Passport. That's for Retirement, Marriage requires your return visit a month later for stamp(s).
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet silver
    As of this year, Lampang also has a full service Immigration office. This has further reduced the workload on Chiang Mai.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    On Retirement Extensions -

Phuket Town is far more organised than they once were BUT , one now has to return the NEXT DAY at/after 1pm to pick up their stamped passport.

I chose to go days later to the Patong Office for my Multi-entry stamp , as everyone arriving at 1pm causes an afternoon rush at Phuket.

There were ( possibly ) 2 new requirements that I heard from other expats for this years RE.
    That was -
    1. An A4 sheet with the applicant standing next to his house or rental properties house number
    2.An A4 sheet with a map of the properties location.

But when I approached the farang advisor at PTI to get him to check my paperwork , he said he wasnt really sure that the latter 2 items were a 'must' and possibly they were "run arounds for applicants the Immigration Officer didnt like !"
    He asked I feedback about them.
    I waited about 15 mins for my number to come up then the IO spent 3 minutes reshuffling my papers silently , came to these 2 items , shrugged , but kept them.
    I was then sent to a boy who photographed me , then said to see him at the same spot the next day at 1pm which I did.
    No problems.
    The Farang Advisor thanked me for my feedback but said he was none the wiser.

Except for the double trip - though I always enjoy my scoot around PT nowadays - it was all quite painless.

There were ( possibly ) 2 new requirements that I heard from other expats for this years RE.
    That was -
    1. An A4 sheet with the applicant standing next to his house or rental properties house number
    2.An A4 sheet with a map of the properties location.

Those are part of the additional requirements for a Marriage Visa. I changed to a RE to avoid cutting down half a forest each year.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    yeah..retirement extension always seemed a lot less hassle than marriage but the money side of marriage a lot easier.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Those are part of the additional requirements for a Marriage Visa. I changed to a RE to avoid cutting down half a forest each year.[/COLOR]
    Yes.
    Who knows why Phuket added them to the Retirement extension!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Out of interest what qualifies a person for a retirement visa?

Can they be a self funded early retirement type or is there a age?

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post

50 and over
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

In a nutshell:

• Applicant must be 50 years of age or over.
    • Must meet ONE of the financial requirements. Deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai Bank Account for 2 months prior to the visa application or Monthly income or pension of at least THB 65,000.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    50 and over
    Well that's is the best thing I have heard since turning 50 a few months ago....555
    Rockitt likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Well that's is the best thing I have heard since turning 50 a few months ago....555

Its only a memory now Ozzy 555...........ive got a few years to go yet 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    In a nutshell:

• Applicant must be 50 years of age or over.
    • Must meet ONE of the financial requirements. Deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai Bank Account for 2 months prior to the visa application or Monthly income or pension of at least THB 65,000.
    That is halved (400,000) if you're married to a TG is it not? Some other extra allowances for have a kid as well I believe.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    That is halved (400,000) if you're married to a TG is it not? Some other extra allowances for have a kid as well I believe.

yep..but in OZ's case I am not sure he would be able to get his wife in on the same visa as she is not 50 years old (or even close...and she is Philippina not Thai) ... and even if he could he would need 800K each for both himself and her...
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    ^ I Looked and did not see any special circumstances for ASEAN countries applying for Non-immigrant O.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yep..but in OZ's case I am not sure he would be able to get his wife in on the same visa as she is not 50 years old (or even close...and she is Philippina not Thai) ... and even if he could he would need 800K each for both himself and her...
    We both like Chiang mai but I have no intention of moving at this stage. If I did I could maybe employ her as a nanny to get around the visa...55

The schooling would bother me.

We both like Chiang mai but I have no intention of moving at this stage. If I did I could maybe employ her as a nanny to get around the visa...55

AFAIK Your wife can stay on a Dependent's visa, same as children.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar

i'm sure she'd expect you to want to stay in cebu if you were going to live in asia somewhere?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    i'm sure she'd expect you to want to stay in cebu if you were going to live in asia somewhere?
    We have spoken a bit about this and that's why the KL thing came up before in that other thread. She also likes Bangkok but I don't like big city's to live in. She has mentioned a few times that she would pretty much live anywhere but I'm guessing deep down its Cebu. Its Perth for now and I can not see myself moving for at least 5 years.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Currently, as she is a non-Thai, if you are legally married and you get an Extension based on Retirement she can piggy-back on that with a dependent extension of the same length without showing additional finances.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Read on Thai Geezer that 90 day reporting is back online. Yay...for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast