The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Today's "crackdown" - overstayers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Hatari's Avatar

Today's "crackdown" - overstayers

Was a time when there was a crackdown a day, a headline, a photo, then no follow-up .... and here we are again, chasing naughty foreigners in Phuket

Phuket Immigration Police arrest 95 illegal foreigners, mostly overstayers

Phuket is a tourism destination gathering a mix of nationalities of travelers and there are people who enter Phuket as a tourist aiming to work illegally or to commit a crime.

November 10, 2017

The mix of nationalities comprises 62 Indians, 11 Pakistanis, 6 Egyptians and 16 foreigners from other nationalities. 70 of them were overstaying (the longest one is 2,000 days or nearly five and a half years) while 24 others were illegal immigrants and one was charged for contravening the Beggar Control Act.

“Thailand is facing international crimes including drugs, human trafficking, illegal immigrants and overstay. Phuket is a tourism destination gathering a mix of nationalities of travelers and there are people who enter Phuket as a tourist aiming to work illegally or to commit a crime. According to our records, foreigners who usually commit crimes in Phuket are overstaying or are not reporting their accommodation in their 90 day report, which make it complicated to track them down.

“This is a national security concern. There are many reports from locals about Indian, Pakistanis and Nepalese working illegally,” said Commander of the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division Region 6, Pol Maj Gen Jessada Yaisun.
    We will be geared to the average rather than the exceptional

^ a quick roundup of tailors etc, no "big fish" in there

But something fishy here

15 Phuket police officers under investigation over bribes allegations
    November 10, 2017

An investigation has been launched against 15 police officers in Phuket accused of taking bribes from illegal immigrants.

Deputy Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Srivara Ransibrahmanakul said he had been assigned by the national police chief to head the probe into allegations that local police, tourist police and immigration police in Phuket had received bribes in exchange for ‘turning a blind eye’ to undocumented migrant workers and illegal immigrants.

Srivara said he had instructed the Immigration Bureau and Provincial Police Bureau 8, which covers Phuket, to form a joint investigative panel into the 15 officers. Srivara took the action after a Facebook user, who called himself “Spotlight Phuket”, made a recent allegation on his Facebook page.

Initial checks found that police stations in Phuket arrested 142 illegal immigrants from October 1 2016 to October 31 2017 – but there were no records of the immigrants being handed over to the Immigration Bureau in accordance with the law, Srivara said. As a result, he issued an order on Wednesday to have police on the island set up a committee to probe the 15 officers.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Oh, maybe some bigger fish here, from Bangkok Post today

Phuket visa overstayers 'pay B100m a month in bribes'
    10 Nov 2017

Police are tracking down 142 foreigners said to be paying up to 100 million baht a month in bribes to local police for overstaying their visas in Phuket.

Pol Gen Srivara said he had been made aware of complaints earlier that as much as 100 million baht changed hands each month on the tourist island in return for leniency on visa overstaying.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Thank Buddha the country is safe again...

Any follow-up on the red-Bull heir? Or the girl killing a few and FB-ing about her terrible night?
    Distantpeak and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    ^^ Double standards still apply.

That little arsehole needs his head kicked in.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Filed the TM 30 form ( Alien registration ) the other week at the local police shop, the little prick asked for 100 baht to do the paper work. Paid him as you do but I was laughing as I handed him the cash.
    Corruption is alive and well in this joint.

Also at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as a regular pleb you have to wait while the visa agents/ service providers are given preferential treatment when its time to collect processed documents.

The Australian mob are at least forthcoming about bribery, three documents copied and signed 5,280 baht but they give you a Tax Invoice
    Last edited by 1080; 11th November 2017 at 16:48.
    Ian Forbes and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    A license to print money those buggers have. Corruption everywhere, but it's always a few that ruin it for the majority and innocent.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I think the Thai's should look at people overstaying as a complement ....They liked Thailand so much they wanted to stay longer 555
    Cuzzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    I think the Thai's should look at people overstaying as a complement ....They liked Thailand so much they wanted to stay longer 555
    If they made it a bit easier then maybe the semi-resident over stayers might be more compliant. Not everyone is trying to rip off the country. That "right" is reserved for Thai police and officials.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Funnily enough I was watching Australian Border Security on TV and there was one American who overstayed by 9 - 10 years, as you know Australia is so big that it was easy to hide.

So Australia has its fair share of over-stayers as well as illegal immigrants / asylum seekers, in fact according to the Canberra Times and the Sydney Morning Herald there are 64,000 of them.

The Border Security program always catch a few, but their resources are hugely stretched and they are dreaming if they can even scratch the surface.

I think they catch more of them by trying to leave the country, they get in the shit from the cops or tip off's as they are working at say a local deli or taxi firm for instance.

But I do believe that if did a tour of Issan the Thai Immigration would cat a few more 55555.

Talking about bribing the cops, I know in the past a friend who him and his Thai wife owned a bar in Pattaya and had a house up in Sakon Nakhon, but when they drove home to have a week off, he would put Bt1000 in Bt100 denominations in the sun visor as he know he would get stopped around 5 times on the way up and he told me no words were exchanged all he did was wind down the window and hand over Bt200.

It will probably be different nowadays with the change of government, but I have not driven up there by bus for years (not recommended BTW)
    Cheers

Scottie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

Talking about bribing the cops, I know in the past a friend who him and his Thai wife owned a bar in Pattaya and had a house up in Sakon Nakhon, but when they drove home to have a week off, he would put Bt1000 in Bt100 denominations in the sun visor as he know he would get stopped around 5 times on the way up and he told me no words were exchanged all he did was wind down the window and hand over Bt200.
    i think he may have been a bit tongue in cheek there 55

done the same/similar drive many a time and have made the 200 baht donation once.....although i don't see the MiB on that stretch from Udon>Sawan Daeng Din>Sakhon Nakon anywhere near as much as 6-7 years ago.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    might be easier if we followed the rules 55555....or heaven forbid return to your home countrys 55555555

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    might be easier if we followed the rules 55555....or heaven forbid return to your home countrys 55555555
    Ah yes... "The rules".

Might be easier if the "rules" were a little more consistent... and actually used in the spirit for which they were written.

One narrow, but VERY busy soi connecting the moat area to the outer road going around the south part of the city is a good example. I use it constantly and so does everyone else in the area. And, so do a LOT of commercial trucks and vehicles. However, that does not stop the newly rich from parking their cars, trucks and vans on both sides of the soi and creating traffic hold-ups on a continual basis. It wasn't always like that until about 3 or 4 years ago.

Meanwhile, across town in the hospital-university area, they have parking on only ONE side of the road. Park on the wrong side, bike or car, and your vehicle gets clamped and you pay a 400 baht fine.

I can harp on about dozens of other things that break so called rules or laws, but are never enforced, except at a few well known locations near police stations.

^ rules .... Well the overstaying ones are fairly clear, not too different to those of other countries, either you're there legally or not
    I pushed my luck for a while doing border hops, wouldn't be an option now though
    Even small NZ has a problem with overstayers, 10,894 as at October 2017 (that Immigration know of) despite catching/sending back 2184 in last 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    ^ rules .... Well the overstaying ones are fairly clear, not too different to those of other countries, either you're there legally or not
    I pushed my luck for a while doing border hops, wouldn't be an option now though
    Even small NZ has a problem with overstayers, 10,894 as at October 2017 (that Immigration know of) despite catching/sending back 2184 in last 12 months
    If New Zealand has any axe murderers, rapists and child molesters, then "Canada the stupid" is willing to allow them to immigrate and become "model" citizens. The new immigration minister is welcoming back the weirdo Muslims who went to the Middle East to join up with the radical Islamic groups.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    the overstayers somehow think they are being harshly treated..like the thais are being unreasonable 5555555...

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    the overstayers somehow think they are being harshly treated..like the thais are being unreasonable 5555555...
    I remember the old days in the 1990s when Thai touts would arrive at the smaller airports with a dozen or more foreign passports that would somehow "go out of the country" and reappear all stamped like the overstayer had left the country and had just returned. 555

Those guys almost caused me to miss my early morning flight to Sakon Nakhon because they were taking up the tellers time processing them all. The guys lined up two hours before the booth opened up and I had to stand in line with them... pushing and shoving. And, I was the only guy actually getting on the plane!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    A few years ago at the Cambodian Immigration Visa office in Poipet I was asked by the IO if I wanted "express service".
    After haggling down to 300 Baht my passport entered and exited Cambodia while I sat in the Immi office in front of a fan sucking on a cold beer.
    It saved me a 500 metre walk/hobble.
    That's good corruption 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    A few years ago at the Cambodian Immigration Visa office in Poipet I was asked by the IO if I wanted "express service".
    After haggling down to 300 Baht my passport entered and exited Cambodia while I sat in the Immi office in front of a fan sucking on a cold beer.
    It saved me a 500 metre walk/hobble.
    That's good corruption 555!

If you are in the country and contributing to Thai society, either directly or indirectly, I don't see much harm in it. It doesn't matter if I contribute 100 baht or 5 million baht to Thailand, I'm still contributing and taking nothing away from the country.

It is entirely different with foreigners on welfare in Canada. They contribute nothing and yet are a drain the economy. There is very little welfare for foreigners in Thailand.. if any. It's only when they die destitute in Thailand that taking care of the remains costs something.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast