Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zablive
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By Zablive

Thread: marriage visa versus retirement visa

Cadet Gold

marriage visa versus retirement visa

Ok for all the seasoned veterans here i am looking for info on both of these visas ,what is good what is bad for each one .I have been told that one is harder to get than the other but i would like some inside knowledge from members who are living in thailand about them so i can get a better idea ,i know things change in thailand at the drop of a hat but a general discussion would help .cheers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Firstly you need to understand the difference between a Visa, only obtainable outside of Thailand and an Extension, only available inside
    Thailand from your local Immigration office where you live.Both Extensions are for one year and both require a Re-entry permit if you want to leave Thailand and come back with an intact Extension.

The Retirement Extension takes one day to obtain (usually) and financial requirements of either 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank OR an Income of 65,000 Baht (certified by Affidavit from your Embassy here) OR a combination of both totaling over 800K per annum.

The Marriage Extension is more complicated in paperwork required, takes an "under consideration period" of 30 days and either 400K in a Thai bank OR Income of 40,000 Baht per month (NO combination method available).

Both Extensions have differing "money seasoning" requirements.

For both Extensions it is best to enter on some form of Non Immi O Visa - or obtain one from a nearby Consulate or Embassy (Laos, Penang etc)
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    IMO, if you qualify for both..... take the marriage extension... less money needs to be tied up
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    IMO, if you qualify for both..... take the marriage extension... less money needs to be tied up
    The money is only tied up while being "seasoned" - 60 - 90 days.
    It can be withdrawn 5 minutes after either Extension is stamped or used as needed for living expenses with no withdrawal costs with a Thai debit card.
    Minder likes this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    If someone is worried about 16k being tied up for a few months
    They probably should go back to their country and work a bit more 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Both Extensions have differing "money seasoning" requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    The money is only tied up while being "seasoned" - 60 - 90 days.
    It can be withdrawn 5 minutes after either Extension is stamped or used as needed for living expenses with no withdrawal costs with a Thai debit card.
    What exactly does seasoned mean ? ...
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    What exactly does seasoned mean ? ...
    The amount of time Immi requires your bank deposit to be in a Thai bank.
    Helps to stop the practice of borrowing the day before the application and repaying the loan after stamping.

IRRC for Retirement, 2 months the first time and 3 months subsequently.
    For Marriage I believe 60 days each time.
    Sydney likes this.

Cadet Gold
    Thanks for the replies guys really just putting feelers out at this time as to what is required and as someone did tell me the marriage visa is a bit more complex but either is easy money to comply with when i decide to move .i think i would prefer to leave it in a high interest account rather than have to worry about when a renewal comes around trying to find it if it had been used just my thinking anyway again thanks for the replies .