Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: OA visa applicants will require health insurance from Oct 31 2019

OA visa applicants will require health insurance from Oct 31 2019

Extension of stays do not require this so dont let your visa lapse!

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expa...rts-october-31
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Trump administration just put this out as a requirement also

I don't see anything wrong with that at all...............

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Extension of stays do not require this so dont let your visa lapse!

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expa...rts-october-31
    Yet............

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Trump administration just put this out as a requirement also

I don't see anything wrong with that at all...............
    The underlying situation of having health insurance anywhere in the world is sound. If you do some research into what is required and consider the financial implications, you will quickly realise that the new requirement is a financial rip off and benefitting only a selected group of insurance companies as I understand it.

To be more specific, out-patient insurance is required; the new requirement is a package for both in and out patient, non negotiable! Currently, one can have in-patient only if they want (or none at all), and "self insure" for out-patient. The amount required is 40k baht (which pays for a hell of a lot). The problem is that the extra premium for the 40k, for some folks, is actually greater than the maximum amount that you can get back (if you were chronically ill and used out patient regularly), the vast majority of people using out-patient services would be unlucky to even go 20k in a year; it makes no economic sense and currently there is no allowance to self insure for out-patient.

Another problem is that people that have come to Thailand and have been caught out, with insufficient funds for whatever reason (including amongst other things, poor planning, currency fluctuations etc), may not be able to even pay for insurance due to their age; ie.insurance companies will not insure them and they are also more likely to have pre-existing conditions that will preclude them; premiums rise with age,which may affect their means to pay. Another problem in Thailand, is that above a certain age (60-75, depending on insurance company), one cannot get health insurance (you self insure or suffer the consequences); what happens to this group of people? There is no mention in the new order of how they will be accomadated. By extension then, what happens to their unfortunate dependants/family?

I do however agree 100%, that insurance outside of your own country is essential and not having it is fool hardy and irresponsible; you may get away without it in your own country but you should never expect a host country to bail you out. I think that the Thai authorities should have perhaps considered a"grand-fathering" clause for those older folks that have been here for quite considerable time. I think that it would not be a significant number as most would probably already be on either Retirement or Marriage extensions.

Interesting times in front of us.
    Last edited by retdent; 10th October 2019 at 01:26.

Latest news ...

I heard from an informed source [visa agent] today that the new insurance requirement will also apply to RETIREMENT extensions. Thai visa forums are debating the law which is somewhat confusing but in perusing the section below, it appears to apply >

Scroll to Page 8, criteria ...

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?c...CO7VsLUU_LlGn0

Looks like I'll be extending on a marriage visa.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

And I might just swap to tourist visa's, and hope that travel insurance will be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    And I might just swap to tourist visa's, and hope that travel insurance will be OK.
    Might work out easier, cheaper in the short term. Wait for more water to pass downstream. ...

Just to muddy those waters a little, there's this ...... https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expa...ce-in-thailand
    Cheers, Rob.

Won't a marriage visa also attract the insurance?

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Won't a marriage visa also attract the insurance?
    No mention of it at all. Many expats alrrady changing to marriage extension confirmed by my agent friend.
    Cheers, Rob.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I am still very confused if this new law will affect my situation, as most know im on a O-A Visa issued from Canberra Australia, this is off their website today :

As of 31 October 2019, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.

Details of the requirement for health insurance are as follows:

For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
    For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
    In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate” as attached, as well as an original health insurance policy. A copy of the health insurance policy may only be accepted, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from participating Thai insurance companies as listed here Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand.

The 1st line says a Visa Applicant, which I am not ?..........................The good news is ive just renewed my annual Thai health insurance at the beginning of this month and it is on the list of Thai Insurance Companies required .................the bad news is reading my coverage I dont think it meets the OP requirements
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I am still very confused if this new law will affect my situation, as most know im on a O-A Visa issued from Canberra Australia, this is off their website today :

As of 31 October 2019, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must have health insurance which covers the whole period of stay in Thailand.

Details of the requirement for health insurance are as follows:

For In-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
    For Out-patient: health insurance policy must have coverage at least 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year.
    In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate” as attached, as well as an original health insurance policy. A copy of the health insurance policy may only be accepted, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from participating Thai insurance companies as listed here Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand.

The 1st line says a Visa Applicant, which I am not ?..........................The good news is ive just renewed my annual Thai health insurance at the beginning of this month and it is on the list of Thai Insurance Companies required .................the bad news is reading my coverage I dont think it meets the OP requirements
    Don't fret Gav, confusion reigns supreme. Wait until a few November extension applicants report back on Thai Visa. Worst case scenario you could tie the knot. Not?
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Had a quick look at some suggested sites, AXA is one, is around 60,000 Baht per annum for the basic plan for my age group.

https://www.axa.co.th/en/SmartCare-E...Long-Stay-Visa

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Don't fret Gav, confusion reigns supreme. Wait until a few November extension applicants report back on Thai Visa. Worst case scenario you could tie the knot. Not?

From memory my next 90 x day report is the 10th of November, watch this space
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    You already have your visa Gav.
    I don't think you need to worry until 2 years after your visa was issued.
    Leave the country and re-enter as planned just before 1 year is up. You will get another 12 months. Start worrying then.
    Rivo and bacwaan like this.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Double post.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    You already have your visa Gav.
    I don't think you need to worry until 2 years after your visa was issued.
    Leave the country and re-enter as planned just before 1 year is up. You will get another 12 months. Start worrying then.
    I concurr..so far this requirement is only relevant to people making an application in their own country for a new O-A Visa AFTER the 31st October this year ..you already have yours Gav...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    bacwaan likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    and the wheels on the bus go round and round...555
    Chob likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast