Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire in Tiger Disco

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar

Fire in Tiger Disco

this is what Nikki put up on his facebook about 10 minutes ago !!! I hope everyone is ok !
    Niklas Kring
    Tiger disco had fire tonight, never seen so many police men, fire men and fire trucks on Bangla before. Look like I arrived on the aftermath, never saw the fire itself and fire trucks started leaving. What is worrying police asked people to leave so they could move people, sounded like there are dead people around. I can imagine the panic when lots of people want to leave and deadly smoke inside, even it the fire itself didnt seemed to be that big. I tried to walk past Tiger disco to go home but was not allowed to cross, police blocked that part of Bangla.

i hope everyone is ok nikki
    that is very worrying news
    I hope so Garry.
    But as I said, police asked people to leave to avoid see dead people. (According to the street translator)

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    4 dead 7 injured not good at all
    The Wan

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Just hit the ABC news here Wabbs 14:24
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

4 tourists dead it seems...Pics look bad.

Apparently a lightning strike on a transformer at the back of the Disco was the cause.

One of the girls thought it was a special effect till she saw the flames and was pushed out a door...Scary scary.
    Makes me think of those fires in Disco's on BKK the death toll is never low!

A recurring nightmare I have about LOS (Along with crazy taxi drivers) RIP

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    I saw this on the News tonight. It must have been an awful scene to witness. I can't work out which building it is though. Is it part of the new Tiger complex? Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I saw this on the News tonight. It must have been an awful scene to witness. I can't work out which building it is though. Is it part of the new Tiger complex? Annie
    It's above the Old Tiger complex Annie.

Foundation Member Cadet Bronze
    That is terrible. I quite enjoy the place myself...I can't imagine trying to get out of it while it was on fire. So many people, narrow walkways and dark. Must have been awful.

My condolences.

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    It's above the Old Tiger complex Annie.

Ah, I recognize the building now, thanks DP. We spent many an evening in the bar area below but we have never been to the Disco above. I expect that will be the end of that complex now that the new Tiger area across the road is up and running.
    All very sad for anyone involved in this incident. A good night out can end so tragically. Annie

Foundation Member Cadet Bronze
    I wish it wasn't the end for the entire complex, but I could understand if it was. The new Tiger has no soul, IMO of course. Keeping in mind that my opinion is now almost 9 months old, I know that a lot can change in 9 months.

^I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will be beside themselves... might be just what the owners wanted. Shame life is so cheap...

PHUKET Authorities on Saturday will begin work to identify the four people who died in a nightclub blaze early Friday morning in Phuket.

Experts from Bangkok are due to arrive on the resort island to examine the remains of those who perished at the Tiger disco on Bangla Road in Patong.

A member of the emergency response team at Patong Hospital, who asked not to be named, said that the four victims were so badly burned that it was not even possible to discern whether they were men or women.

Eleven people were injured in the fire at the Tiger Discotheque, a bar and dance club on a street packed with pubs and restaurants.

Rescuers carried out four corpses on stretchers covered by tarps in the morning. Beach sandals were scattered among the charred debris.

The nationalities of the four victims were not immediately known, said police Maj Gen Chanasit Wattanawarangkun. The injured are four French tourists and seven Thais.

An initial investigation indicated sparks from an electricity transformer near the club started the fire after heavy rains caused a brief blackout in parts of the island, Pol Maj Gen Chanasit said.

"There are four confirmed dead. We believe they are foreign tourists but it's not yet confirmed," Phuket deputy governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada told AFP by telephone.

Tomrongsak Boonyarunk, an executive with the Tiger Group which runs the nightclub, told AFP that the venue was officially closed at the time of the fire but about 70-80 people were still inside sheltering from rain.

"What happened is a force majeure. There were up to three lightning strikes and blackouts before the fire broke out," he said.

"We fully comply with the law on fire exits. We will not duck responsibility. We are sorry. I've sent staff to hospital to look after the injured people."

According to the Phuket News, police and a nightclub employee said the building caught fire around 4 am as the result of an electrical short circuit during torrential rain. The flames were extinguished around dawn.

Hospital workers in the seaside resort said the injured included both Thais and foreigners.

One badly burned 30-year-old Frenchman was in intensive care, along with a 33-year-old Thai staff member who broke her leg when she jumped out of the burning building, according to officials.

"Two are in critical condition from severe burns. One of them is a French man who suffered burns on his torso," a hospital worker said. "The four dead bodies were burned beyond recognition. We cannot identify even their gender."

The Phuket News reported that the burned bodies were discovered in the restrooms. The four had attempted to escape from the blaze, but failed.

The second person who suffered severe burns was a 31-year-old Thai woman, Butsakorn Jesa'i. She remained in Patong hospital.

Police kept back a crowd of onlookers as ambulances arrived to collect the casualties, local media reported.

"It's totally destroyed on the second floor where the fire broke out," said a provincial official at the scene.

At least nine injured people had been discharged from Patong hospital by Friday afternoon. Three are from France and were named as Nicholas Robyn, Mathieu Lagrange and Yasmine Khelaef-Humber.

Friday's fire is the latest deadly event to tarnish Phuket's image as a tourist paradise. A 60-year-old Australian travel agent was stabbed to death on Phuket in June after two Thai men tried to steal her purse.

Friday's blaze is likely to revive a debate about inadequate safety measures at shoddily built nightclubs in Thailand.

A fire at the Santika nightclub in Bangkok killed 67 people on New Year's Day in 2009. More than 1,000 revellers were inside the club when an indoor fireworks display set off after the countdown to the new year ignited the blaze.

The Santika's owner was sentenced to three years in prison and found guilty of having caused the deaths without intent. The verdict did not address allegations that police had turned a blind eye to safety violations at the club prior to the fire.

Anyone worried about a missing relative or friend who might have been in the disco at the time of the fire can call either Patong Hospital (+66-342633-4) or, for foreign languages, the Patong Tourist Police Volunteers (1155).
    Last edited by wabbits; 18th August 2012 at 14:20.

Was thinking about what i do when i go out...Take all my important stuff out of my pockets (no ID), keep what i think is enough money.
    If as described burnt beyond recognition as sad as it is how do they work out who it is... Would be a time and man power problem.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Was thinking about what i do when i go out...Take all my important stuff out of my pockets (no ID), keep what i think is enough money.
    If as described burnt beyond recognition as sad as it is how do they work out who it is... Would be a time and man power problem.
    Missing persons from local hotels have already been reported so they'll have a good idea who the 4 are. Next stage is to send remains to BKK for full examination and matching with dental records etc requested by Thai Police. May take a few more days before names/nationalities are known.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

My wife Tane told me last night that it wont be rebuilt !!! Was never supposed to be there to start with ! The license when building it was for hotel rooms above the bars.Police have already said no to rebuilding it as a nightclub . As to where she got her information : a very close friend of hers , in fact she calls him her 2nd father , is the manager of the whole Soi Tiger bar/discotech complex. A nice guy and i am very happy that he is ok . He has always taken care of us and made sure we were safe when partying there .

This was taken in Tiger last time we were there...sad to see it go
    P2190198.jpg

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Isn't it no photos inside the disco ? 555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast