Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pattaya - the Wild West

Pattaya - the Wild West

Kiwi killed in Soi Dianna:

Kiwi killed by Swede in Pattaya bar | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

I enjoy going to Patts ocassionally for a couple of days only but tend to watch my p's and q's very much.

Very sad.

Regards,

Mark
    JamesBond likes this.
    Bar4 - Sukhumvit Soi 4, Nana

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

A small world

Got this on Facebook today from an old workmate in Wellington ... went to school together it seems ....
    Hi there. An old friend of mine was stabbed to death in Pattaya today/yesterday. Robert Hollick. Did you ever come across him in your travels (small chance - I know). I remember him always being on the edge - from memory he dissected a golf ball while at school and it exploded and he went blind in one eye!

Sounds like your typical kiwi alright...

He was the owner of Top Dog Personnel, in Perth, Australia
    It operates from a shed in a side street off Dixon Road in Rockingham ... less than five minutes drive from here.

Anyone know what bar in Pattaya is was?

Always the same ... odds are if you are going to die in Thailand it will most likely be by your own actions or those of another farang ...

Enjoy
    Cuzzy likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Found this version of the story ....
    According to Thairath newspaper, the witness Ms. Supisara Vechsuwan, 47, the owner of the bar close to where the incident happened, said that Ringvall and his girlfriend Dao had a drink at her bar earlier. Then Hollick walked in with a dog which ran to the couple. Ringvall and Dao were not happy about it, leading to a bad loud argument. Staff at the bar including herself stopped them from a fight. They all split up but later on Ringvall and Dao came back at the bar with a kitchen knife looking for Hollick. When they both saw Hollick walking with the dog near the bar, Ringvall attacked Hollick and stabbed him several times to death, reported Thairath. (report also says he was stabbed in the street outside Areca Lodge, Soi Diana)

From questioning the two suspects by the police, Dao who seemed to be drunk still, claimed that she had a drink with her boyfriend at the bar until Hollick turned up with a dog which was running aggressively toward them. Then Ringvall shouted at Hollick who didn’t like it and started attacking her boyfriend first. Her boyfriend had to use the knife to protect himself. The police didn’t find Dao’s statement convincing. However, Ringvall refused to say anything to the police.

Wonder why the Swedish guy was so upset he felt the need to kill him?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Sad story, but it is the sort of thing that you will find not just in Pattaya.. Sadly normally either alcohol or drug related.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Wonder why the Swedish guy was so upset he felt the need to kill him?
    Indeed ... if I saw the original incident it would seem to be a fairly run-of-the-mill altercation between a couple of local loudmouths ... nothing more ... except one loud-mouth then goes home, arms himself and in company with another, his TGF ... goes hunting the first loud mouth with intent to maim or kill ... clearly there was more going on in that Swedish guy's head at that time and the Kiwi became the brunt of it .... you never know when someone will pop that last loose screw do you .....as the OP says ... it pays to mind your P's and Q's .......... I wonder if his TGF even tried to stop him ... I suspect not ...

Enjoy ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I doubt we will ever know exactly what went on and why it happened.

My guess is the couple were having a few too many drinks, the NZ guy and his dog come in, the dog runs to the TG, maybe jumps up at her or sniff's her crotch, as dogs do. Just being a friendly dog.

The TG may have been scared of dogs and reacted badly, then the guys start a yelling match. They get told to leave and the couple, drunk, go back to their room where the TG stir's the pot, maybe she wants to be rid of the sweed and this is a perfect way to insure he isn't around to hassle her if she break's it off with him. Seems he has a bit of a temper as well so she may have been too scared to walk out on him.

Just my thoughts....
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

"A hell of a thing.....killing a man.."
    Clint Eastwood
    Senseless waste. RIP
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Top Dog Personnel :: Quality Earthmoving Personnel

This is the business the kiwi operated in Perth.
    Perhaps his motto lends something to understanding how it all came to pass.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Anyone who has a slogan like that on their website would be avoided by me at all costs...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    There seems to be quite a few horrible stories coming out of LOS at the moment. This one happened just outside where we were staying last year.
    It reminds me of one night when we were having a drink on Soi Honey and a young guy staggered along the road covered in blood. He had been stabbed in the shoulder.
    Its a good reminder to not get involved in problems when abroad. Annie.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

"if you're not TOP DOG then you're a PVSSY"

Till now I was picturing some small friendly dog ... not so sure now ...

top dog.jpg

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Sounds like home ..... two machismo white guys having a drunken fight, and one ends up stabbed to death. Local news has a story like that running almost every week, not always with a fatal result, but often with one or more been ambulanced away to the hospital. So it happens in Thailand too ... in Pattaya of all places .... *shrug*

Is that dog in the ad a bull mastiff? If so, then that is the last mutt I'd want to see running towards me in a bar. No wonder the Swede and his gf were pi$$ed off! 555 That would scare the crap out of me too! Well, the guy didn't have a pu$$y dog, and proved HE wasn't a pu$$y .... and now he's dead. RIP.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

very sad story, some crazy people out there.

Just curious, how often do murders/stabbing's occur to farangs in pattaya ?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post

All too often sadly. but like any situation it is often down to the wrong type of people getting aggressive after too much alcohol.
    Out of interest there are a number of PitBull Bars in Pattaya, I wonder if there is any connection?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post

Of course it is sad, and of course things like this happen..
    Don't know how often, but considering that the death of a falang is news in Thailand..
    Over the last 6 months I have only heared about a few incidents.. Far less than the road traffic accidents..

And from my own experience.. I never really witnessed any serious agression in Thailand...
    Nor did I ever feel unsafe (exept for the motorbike taxi's..555)..
    In how many cities in the west would you walk from the red light district back to your hotel at 4 in the morning?
    I would not in my country, but do this all the time in Pattaya or Bangkok..
    Rockitt, josho and VanD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Of course it is sad, and of course things like this happen..
    Don't know how often, but considering that the death of a falang is news in Thailand..
    Over the last 6 months I have only heared about a few incidents.. Far less than the road traffic accidents..

And from my own experience.. I never really witnessed any serious agression in Thailand...
    Nor did I ever feel unsafe (exept for the motorbike taxi's..555)..
    In how many cities in the west would you walk from the red light district back to your hotel at 4 in the morning?
    I would not in my country, but do this all the time in Pattaya or Bangkok..
    Very true. You need to beware of what is going on around you wherever you are. Thailand is no different to anywhere else in that respect.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bar Four View Post
    Kiwi killed in Soi Dianna:

Kiwi killed by Swede in Pattaya bar | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

I enjoy going to Patts ocassionally for a couple of days only but tend to watch my p's and q's very much.

Very sad.

Regards,

Mark
    It's taken a while but....

Kiwi's alleged killer charged - national | Stuff.co.nz

Two years after talking his way out of a Thai police cell, the alleged killer of an Upper Hutt man is back behind bars in his home country - and the Thai Government has apologised to the slain man's family for letting him flee.

Robert Hollick, 43, was stabbed to death at a bar in tourist hot spot Pattaya in 2012.

After the frenzied attack, which was sparked by an argument about Hollick's dog, Thai police arrested and charged Swede Andreas Ringvall with his murder.

But Ringvall left the country two months later in unusual circumstances, after paying 500,000 baht, almost $20,000, in bail.

After repeated inquiries by The Dominion Post, Thai authorities announced an investigation into Ringvall's disappearance, and said an extradition request would be made to Sweden.

Further investigations last year revealed Ringvall had changed his name to Andreas Karlsson, and had begun a new life in the small town of Nynashamn, where he was working as a labourer.

This week, Stockholm police confirmed they had arrested Ringvall on July 29 and charged him with murder.

Hollick's mother, Anne, said Swedish authorities had contacted her last week to tell her of the arrest. They said a homicide detective was on his way to Thailand to gather evidence, and she had been assigned a lawyer to represent her if she decided to go to Sweden for the trial.

She said this was not an option, however, as she had been trying hard to erase any thoughts of Ringvall from her memory.

"There's no way I would want to go, I just don't want that person in my head.

"I've had two years to try and get rid of it, but if I start thinking about it and talking about it, it pops up again."

Despite this, she said she was thrilled that Ringvall would have to face justice. "I'm pleased, relieved a bit, because the thought of him living as an ordinary Swedish citizen, just living his life like nothing happened . . ."

Intranee Sumawong, executive director of international affairs at the office of the Thai attorney-general, said last night: "I really would like to send a message to [Hollick's] family that we are very sorry about the situation. We feel responsible and, as the public prosecutor of Thailand, I will do my best to make sure justice is done in this case."

However, Sweden agreed with Thailand's request to pursue the case and had arrested Ringvall as a result.

"We are very pleased about that. The arrest is the most important thing."

Stockholm police spokesman Kjell Lindgren said a court had decided Ringvall would remain in custody until an August 14 bail hearing.

STORY SO FAR

August 21, 2012: Robert Hollick is stabbed three times in the neck and dies after a bar fight in Pattaya. Swedish man Andreas Ringvall is arrested and charged with murder. His girlfriend is also detained but later released.

August 24: Ringvall is granted bail after paying 500,000 baht (more than $20,000 at the time) and given his passport, but the immigration service is told not to let him leave the country.

August 27: Documents released under the Official Information Act show an unknown person calls the New Zealand embassy in Bangkok and says he has heard Ringvall will try to abscond while on bail. The embassy tells the person to contact police and makes its own inquiries, but has little success.

October 28: Ringvall is granted permission by the Pattaya court to leave Thailand for two weeks. He flies to Sweden and fails to return.

November 19: The New Zealand embassy formally asks the courts for information, but finds out little.

December 14: A warrant is issued in Thailand for Ringvall's arrest, and his bail guarantor is fined.

Late December: Hollick's mother, Anne, hears from a friend of her son that Ringvall has fled Thailand.

January 2013: The Thai ambassador to New Zealand writes to reassure Anne Hollick he will look into the matter.

June: After repeated inquiries by The Dominion Post to Thai and Swedish authorities, Thai Interpol decides to request the extradition of Ringvall from Sweden, or that he be tried for murder in his homeland.

July 2013:The Dominion Post reveals Ringvall has changed his name and is living in a small fishing village, working as a labourer.

July 2014: Swedish police arrest Ringvall and charge him with murder.
    Quarky and Sydney like this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    update on the Hollick killing today

Pub brawl ends in prison time for Swedish tourist

1:27 PM Sunday Mar 22, 2015

A Swedish man has been sentenced to one and a half years' in prison following the death of a Kiwi man at a pub brawl in Thailand in 2012.

The 42-year-old man from Gotland was sentenced to one year and six months in prison for aggravated assault and manslaughter, at the Nacka District Court on Friday, Swedish media reported.

It was reported that he was unable to be charged with murder due to flaws in the investigation.

The conviction comes after an altercation involving the man and New Zealander Robert Hollick, 43, at a bar in Pattaya, Thailand, on August 21, 2012,

Swedish media reported that the pair initially argued about a dog, before becoming involved in an altercation a few hours later.

In the fight, Mr Hollick suffered from stab wounds to the neck, and later died.

The Nacka District Court was critical of the initial investigation into Mr Hollick's death, Swedish media reported.

The court said it believed the investigation was incomplete, inaccurate and unclear, as Thai police did not carry out any detailed crime scene investigation and did not hold any formal hearings.

A knife, which was suspected to have been the murder weapon, also disappeared.

Due to these "flaws" in the investigation, the Nacka District Court was unable to charge the man with murder.

The Nacka District Court also ordered the man to pay $30,000 SEK ($4597 NZD) in damages to the Mr Hollick's family.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ and it's not even April 1st ..
    Quarky and sidvicious like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast