Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Advice from Bangkok residents

Cadet

Advice from Bangkok residents

Some help needed folks, I am aware that I could try and Google this information but I believe that if it comes from the horses mouth its usually more reliable.
    I have visited some parts of Thailand such as Hau Hin, Kanchaburi, Udon Thani, Chang Mai, mostly playing golf.
    However I have never stayed in Bangkok for more than one night.
    I am planning to have a long-long weekend in the city once I retire; I would like to have a couple of games of Golf during the day with one of Bangkoks expat societies, and at night I would like to dine at some quality restaurants ( any nationality),
    After dining, to complete my night, I would like to visit some nice bars, or music venues, Im little to long in the tooth for the techno or rap scenes (if thats the in thing right now ??) , I can find the normal bar scene down here in Pattaya, I am hoping for something a little different, a little more up market
    Wondering if Bangkok residents or anyone who is knowledgeable regarding my request could give me some advice on where to stay, I have no real restriction on my Budget so recommendations to a top class hotel in an appropriate location would be appreciated.
    If there anyone who knows whom I should contact regarding the golf this would be helpful.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Cant help with the golf the only golf coarse i have played on in LOS is Asia beach in Patts and I think most people would not rate that very highly...Though I love the bar across the road.55555
    I understand what you mean about bars and maybe a little more upmarket.
    Bangkok will cater for you massively in what and which ever you want.
    Soi 33 off Suk is a good place to start for a more laid back bar scene but at the same time very nice.

Tawandang German beer for good food good beer and a Thai orientated show that is worth watching for its differences.
    Bed supperclub for something different.
    Banyan tree for the up market dining though i think there might be better out there...But the service will be very good.

Next to Imperial Queenspark on Soi 22 there is a little Japanese restaurant that is superb and a must for those that like Japanese.
    Hotels your choices are wide and varied the above mentioned QP is nice Citrus is very good on the same soi or the Davis further along.

I like staying around Soi 22 for me there is loads around there close at hand.

DP will have a few ideas I am sure.

Cadet
    Cheers wabbits,

Appreciate you taking the time for some useful information,
    it much better if I have some idea where to go and where to avoid.

Thanks

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Easy pezy there are a few that know BKK well so a few will pipe in for sure.
    It will be dependent on where you stay in BKK as to what is worth the time taxi wise.
    I always think about this and the fact I know my way around Suk well but Silom not so well.
    So think where your going to stay and then think of entertainment in a 100bt taxi ride range which is 1/2 an hours travel about...(Not far in peak hour.5555)

If you stayed Soi 22 you could walk to Soi 33 Soi Cowboy, Robinson on Suk good food on Soi 20, massage...well everywhere and not big taxi rides to other spots like Linpini or the river..etc.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Banyan tree rooftop is an awesome spot, one that everyone should check out at least once.... the hotel itself is worth staying at for quality accommodation.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Banyan tree rooftop is an awesome spot, one that everyone should check out at least once.... the hotel itself is worth staying at for quality accommodation.
    Banyan is next door to where I am stayin Mekong Beach Boy..... Yes!!!!!
    What I do want to know is how far away am I from Bar 4, i have my tourist map book and it shows what I beleive to be Soi 4 but not sure how far away???? Walk or tuk yuk or taxi... I cant walk on cement.

walking stick is in the wardrobe and dont need it unless I have to walk any distance on concrete..

Help please..... members....
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Spot, you are a short taxi ride to Soi 4 (50 baht), and hopefully the driver will know the cut through along Soi 2 (20 baht fee but saves a lot of time).

Lumphini Park is a 10 minute walk from your hotel, an oasis in BKK.
    Assuming you haven't changed intended hotel, see above.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Spot, if the taxi does the cut through along Soi 2, get out at the end of Soi 2 (where you pay the 20 baht) as this is Soi 4. Bar 4 is not far down Soi 4 on the left hand side.
    Quarky likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Great to see the wealth of information that the members here have and give so freely.
    Not just this post, right across the lot.
    Thanks to all that do this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Unfortunately though I have spent a lot of time in Bangkok, I never played golf there, nor did I ever dine in upmarket restaurants. In fact almost the opposite as my TG at the time took me to all sorts of out of the way places to eat... the poshest place I ate at was a Japanese restaurant in a shopping mall!

Actually I know people have recommended this place...

Bangkok Restaurants Fine Dining | Long Table Bangkok | Trendy Bars and Restaurants

Just realised you are asking hotel advice as well.

I really like the Citadines Hotels on Soi 23 and Soi 11.
    Citadines Sukhumvit 23 Bangkok Bangkok Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

Citadines Sukhumvit 11 Bangkok Bangkok Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

Last edited by Quarky; 5th September 2012 at 23:11.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Guy
    Did you stay there DP?

I looked at them couple of times but never booked.
    When in Bkk I stay suk soi 18, Darjelling hotel. Very Nice, i feel like coming hole there mainly Becos i stayed there lot of times and they know me by now.

Citadines are appartments if i am correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Did you stay there DP?

When in Bkk I stay suk soi 18, Darjelling hotel. Very Nice, i feel like coming hole there mainly Becos i stayed there lot of times and they know me by now.

I have stayed at both Soi 11 and Soi 23 hotels. Yeah it says serviced apartments, but it feels like a hotel. Separate bed area to the TV/desk/sofa and kitchen area... I like it there. There is one on Soi 16 as well I think...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Did you stay there DP?

I suppose this is in the nightlife section. 555
    Quarky likes this.

Guy
    I suppose this is in the nightlife section. 555
    Good one

Cadet
    All information greatly appreciated.

The one night I had in Bangkok for a company seminar, I was lucky enough to stay at the Mandarin Oriental.
    Having finished our company business, 3 of us, on the advice of concise went to a hotel approximately 15-20 mins from Mandarin.
    We were told to go to a bar (ground floor) where there was disco music and later a live band, if I remember the band were from North and South America, a very smart lady lead singer,
    I cant remember the name of the hotel, Lots of really classy Thai girls, one in particular caught my eye, dark leggy with typical Issan features, stunning, however as I later found out the price of the girls reflected the up market venue, but in all honesty it was worth every Bhatt.

Hi Pete,

You sound interesting. You also sound like you would welcome some tips and tricks over a few drinks in a suitable venue.

I lived in Bkk for for 11 years, speak the lingo but now spend just two months a year there.

I'll be in Bangkok in December January,

I'd like to meet you

Will you be there then?

Cheers
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by BangkokSteve View Post
    Hi Pete,

You sound interesting. You also sound like you would welcome some tips and tricks over a few drinks in a suitable venue.

I lived in Bkk for for 11 years, speak the lingo but now spend just two months a year there.

I'll be in Bangkok in December January,

I'd like to meet you

Will you be there then?

Cheers
    Hi Steve

Don’t know if my mates would agree about me and interesting going together, but thanks for the compliment anyhow.
    I am back in Thailand from middle of November until beginning of December, my leave Rota at the moment is 91days work 16 holidays.
    If our holidays coincide I don’t see any reason why I cant have a few days in Bangkok.
    Have you some good suggestion where to find some real Quality Thai ladies and some upper class clubs,.
    If we cant meet up the next time you in Thailand I am hoping to finish this project sometime Feb 13 following that I intend retiring to Pattaya, so there can be future opportunities to have a meeting..

Cheers Pete

Will you two get a room...555

Sorry, just making me jealous!!!
    wabbits likes this.

Cadet
    Will you two get a room...555

Sorry, just making me jealous!!!
    You never know!! The two of us with three or four willing Thai ladies, a little swapping never did anyone any harm. "You should try it once in a lifetime"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You never know!! The two of us with three or four willing Thai ladies, a little swapping never did anyone any harm. "You should try it once in a lifetime"
    I think the only appropriate words are "up to you"!!! 555
    wabbits likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast