Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krabi: Ao nang

Krabi: Ao nang

Ok guys, let me know where to go and what to do at night in Ao nang

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    There is a recent thread about Ao nang..

Last time I have been there was 6 years ago..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Lots of islands to see from ao nang. Railey beach is really nice too. There is a little soi full of maybe 15/20 bars opposite macdonalds and a disco too Anna 69. I was there about 2 years ago during high season and it wasn't that busy tbh. The demographic there seemed to be mainly couples and families so if you are looking I think you should have no probably finding company for the night. Excellent food too.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Ao Nang is dieing. The Bars opposite Maccas are down to about 3, the bar complex on Beach Rd is half occupied with them competing on loudest/distorted stereo, and the little bars at the guesthouses in the back alley are abandoned.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Ao Nang is dieing. The Bars opposite Maccas are down to about 3, the bar complex on Beach Rd is half occupied with them competing on loudest/distorted stereo, and the little bars at the guesthouses in the back alley are abandoned.
    Wow... maybe its a seasonal thing.
    We were there about 9 months back on the way to Koh Lippe and it was humming along , all the Soi opp. Maccas had bars , and the far cnr of Beach rd., ( behind) was a Soi of bars as well.
    It was so much fun we stayed an extra two nights.
    I recall posting how the villiage now felt like a Town...

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    We were there about 9 months back on the way to Koh Lippe and it was humming along , all the Soi opp. Maccas had bars , and the far cnr of Beach rd., ( behind) was a Soi of bars as well.
    I hope you are right

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I was there last Friday night.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Ao Thalane kayak tour is a nice 1/2 day out from Ao Nang.
    Heaps of wildlife and some nice scenery in a rather small narrow creek.

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    No mate, Ao Nang isn't dying at all. It's low season. May-Oct is quiet there. It's always quiet in low season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    Ok guys, let me know where to go and what to do at night in Ao nang
    small place just walk around and see.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Ao Thalane kayak tour is a nice 1/2 day out from Ao Nang.
    Heaps of wildlife and some nice scenery in a rather small narrow creek.

yep it's very good as is bor thor kayaking, ko hong and phi phi snorkeling and also khlong thom crystal lagoon and hot spring. also fun spot to ride a motorbike around as there's great scenary and not much traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    No mate, Ao Nang isn't dying at all. It's low season. May-Oct is quiet there. It's always quiet in low season.
    I'll be there from september 1, hope to to quiet

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    yep it's very good as is bor thor kayaking, ko hong and phi phi snorkeling and also khlong thom crystal lagoon and hot spring. also fun spot to ride a motorbike around as there's great scenary and not much traffic
    Sounds like you`ve spent a bit of time around there Ned? one of the prettiest parts of the world IMO.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Holiday View Post
    I'll be there from september 1, hope to to quiet
    no probs re crowds but aug/sept are normally the wettest months but you'll should get some sunny days as well

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    It was my experience that the farther down the beach you went from the main road heading towards the beach, the better chance there was of finding some place inexpensive. I walked down the beach road for about a mile or so and found a simple place for about 500 baht a night. When we stayed up the hill on the main road the price was around 1000 baht a night.

Judging from the "talent" I saw in the few bars I visited, I would say it's better to "import" your own. I had a gal with me so life was pretty good. I also agree that visiting the off shore islands was nicer than hanging around the beach at Ao Nang. But then I'm long past the age when I just lay on the beach. I prefer to explore. Be sure to visit Railey Beach and Hong Island.

A handy ATM for what the nearby sign suggests...

A day trip to Koh Phi Phi was also enjoyable... but a little more expensive.

Like I said, it's best to bring a friend...

Of course, if you are young and "hansum" then you can always hustle the back packer chicks for free...

If you are going to rent a kayak (which I would suggest), do so for just an hour. it's hard on the back until you get used to it.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Nice photos Ian, and thanks for the side-trip suggestions, as I'll be heading down that way in November for 4 days. Anyone taken the ferry over to Phuket from Krabi?
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Yes , I took it from Racha Pier ( Hkt) to Ao Nang ( AN is the beach town , Krabi is a pleasant town but up a muddy river)and then on to Koh Lanta 4 years back.
    Its fine and better than a taxi.
    Obviously it can be rougher in Low Season.
    Scenic trip. The price was fine , I dunno what it costs nowadays but.
    Trouble was , our ferry was late to Ao Nang , and we , the only two who needed to, had to transfer to the Lanta ferry at sea.
    This involved leaping from the Ao Nang boat to the Lanta one , which was somewhat hairy.
    The tg crapped herself at the prospect , but we stayed dry...

roughly how long does the ferry take chob?

Just had an interesting morning exploring some lesser know spots in Krung Thep.

I made the girls get out their expensive thousand dollar Canon SLRs ( while me , who is paying everything for their holiday used my 6k baht old Cybershot 555) and started off at Ta Tien market.
    We actually took a Tuk Tuk at 60 baht ( I gave 80 , the ferry would have cost 45 baht for 3 pax and entailed waiting ) so the girls could experience that , and shoot away in the Amulet Market I knew we would pass though .
    This is River Ferry stop N7 , and used by many to get to visit Wat Po . Hardly anyone realizes that if you turn hard right as you arrive on the land , and pass thru the stinking dry fish market at Ta Tien , you'll will dissapear into a rabbit warren of squalid wharehouses and shanties that could easily be a movie set for something out of old Kowloon.

Change the signage to English and its positively D!ckensian.
    This is ancient Chinatown at its grottiest , with buildings leaning on each other and 'barrow boys' whistling in warning as they hurry thru the slushy darkened walkways. The sun doesnt reach the ground here , but the photography is to die for.
    You have to see it to believe it. The old Chinese either stare silently , or offer a quiet hello.
    The dusty bric-a-brac they hoard and the jumbled crap stacked high is simply amazing. People live in wooden shipping boxes.

Good views of Wat Arun across the river here as well. ( You can take a 10 baht ferry there acros to it)
    Head inland and back into the light and you hit Wat Po in 1 minute.
    It is all you can do to fend off the tuk tuk touts here.
    One little cnut attempted the old scam that it was closed , and was sort of startled when I snapped , "Go Hok!!" ( Bulls!t !!) and I immediately regretted that , thinking he could easily have turned on me. Instead he just gave me a silly grin and toddled off.... its one thing to chase a fare IMO , but its another altogether to lie to people and spoil their day... anyway , we saw him further along trying the same thing and he saw us and gave us another grin .... I started looking around , but he had no back up. I guess there isnt much transport solidarity in Bangkok..

We had a quick look at the famous Reclining Buddha ( 100 baht entry) at Wat Po , then trudged the 5 blocks down river along Thanon Chakraphet ( parallel to the river ) till we hit 'Pak Klong Taladt' , Bkks world famous flower market. This is open from 5am till 6pm , and you need to persevere through another D!ckensian scene ( if you weadle your way through the wharehouses on the river which is the most interesting way) encompassing the vegetable traders streets BEFORE you hit the flower part.
    The veggie part is another photographers heaven...
    The smell of fresh flowers should lead your way out. There is an arch saying 'Flower Market' , but in true Thai signage style it only sells vegetables , so you need to push further right.

Soon you are surrounded by flowers. We couldnt find it ourselves , but having that bit of Thai really helped with everything today , and Im feeling all that reading is paying off.. Lots f Bkk people are genuinely appreciative of attempts to speak Thai. Many openly guffawed when I used the South , "Chung whooo"to mean "Maak maak".
    The prices are ridiculously cheap for 'dok mai' ( flowers) , not that we had any reason to buy some. Skillful old ladies churn out flower arrangements for weddings and funerals and temple offerings , and sweating young men load them into pickups , all on the edge of the crowded road.
    The girls clicked away fascinated ...some shops were a/ced , so as to preserve their orchids and marigolds .... there were arrangements the size of cars ... any flower arrangement you could think of , they had thoght of and made already.

Here I spotted a small a/c cafe ...the daughters friend , a Kiwi and a whinger feeling the heat , jumped at the chance for me to take them in there , and buy her an ice coffee.
    Little did we know that this was an outlet for a 'Training School' , teaching Thai teens how to use espresso machines and serve food. Nobody told us this , but next 10 kids vacated their seats to make room for us 3 , and started fussing over us and practising their mangled English... it was all good fun , but interpreting the gorgeous young girls " Eat what are you?" and the happy boys , 'Bin are 1 million 30 baht ' ( he meant 1 HUNDRED and 30 baht) left us grinning.
    They all had a giggle and a push at each other , as they performed a mniscule task each , one made the coffee , one added the sugar , another stirred it , and the deliverer , pointing to the girls boldly and asked "This you brother?" which put everyone into hysterics , the young Thai ladies covering their faces with their hands and almost crying with laughter and embarrassment.
    As an ex teacher I did notice the free reign and exuberance the teachers allowed these kids which is great , but is also probably reflected in the service quality across the nation...

Next it was off to Wat Traimit , the home of the 2 and a half ton solid gold Buddha.
    This proved tricky , as 3 taxi drivers just didnt know what I was talking about. I tried saying it many ways , and even saying " Rue Buddha Tong ( gold) mai?" without success - the poblem with 'tong' is that it means many things depending on the tone.
    Finally we got a driver who understood , and we drove 100 metres before burying ourselves in one of Bangkoks famous traffic jams ( 'Rot dit maak maak'). We didnt move for 30 minutes. It took and hour to go 4 ks... and 78 baht.
    We got out of the taxi and Miss Kiwi started whinging about the heat. Then about the 20 baht SHE had to pay to cover her barely clad body. I let them go and wandered off , taking photos of some giant shark fins in restaurant windows , and deftly arranged piles of Swallows Nests looking undelicious.
    When I returned the girls had had enough , and Kiwi girl wanted to return to the Hotel pool , so I decided to leave Bae Bo Market for another time , and I hailed a taxi back to Banglamphu.
    This driver hailed from Chiang Rai , and claimed to be Lisu . I believed him because he was clearly a man who had walked all his life and never driven a car before.

It was a good day , but daughter then reminding me that she had left one of her lenses back at my home in Kamala was yet another frustration at travelling with children...555
    If you were to see the startling array of expensive gear chucked across their hotel room , you'd easily understand why they are constantly losing their sh!t BTW.
    Anyway , Kiwi girl is leaving tomorrow , and tonight we are joined by my ex neighbours daughter who is a lovely kid.

But if one more taxi man points at daughter and asks me how old my 'wife' is ....
    Last edited by Chob; 11th June 2013 at 20:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast