Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jontymate

Thread: Kohsan rd & Patpong

  1. #1
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858

    Khaosan rd & Patpong

    hi all

    Just like my second trip to LOS i will be spending 5 nights in BKK again, so far ive already ventured to Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza & soi 4. This time around im interested in venturing Khaosan rd, & patpong.

    I would like to hear from fellow BM's on what they think of these 2 places ? is it worth a visit ?

    your feedback is much appreciated
    Last edited by josho; 28th June 2013 at 22:00.

  2. #2
    Platinum Mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Thailand, for now
    Posts
    522
    I first went to Khao Sarn Road in the early '80s well before it started to become what it is now. I went to a meeting at the Viengthai Hotel, in the next street. A year or two later I stayed at one of the first two guest houses there. They were in the same soi, owned by different members of a family that didn't get on too well.

    I seldom visit Bangkok now, but when I do I tend to drop by the area to check out the changes, and to get a haircut..... from a woman who first cut my hair in the early '90s. She always remembers me.

    I find it an interesting, unique place, with a backpacker ghetto culture (of sorts) of its own. It is not Thai, but could not really be anywhere else. I can't say that it is really my scene these days; it is a long time since I stayed in the area. I gather that, of late it has some places that have become somewhat popular with young Bangkokians for an evening out.

    Check Khao Sarn Road out; you may or may not like it. Eiither way it will add to your experience.

    Likewise Patpong Road, which has also changed over the years. Worth going or not....? Each too their own. You won't know until you have been. That is what travel is all about.
    Last edited by Mick; 28th June 2013 at 14:46.

  3. #3
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858
    cheers for the advice Mick

    has anyone else got any recommendations on go go bars, pubs, and restaurants etc.
    Last edited by josho; 28th June 2013 at 15:54.

  4. #4
    Platinum Mate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    738
    The Club Khaosan looks good if you like a bit of doof music.

    I think Khaosan Road gives you the opportunity to meet a normal thai girl in a farang friendly environment. Not like Cowboy or Nana where all you will meet is P4P girls

    Patpong is worth a visit but be very careful about the ping pong shows. They will rip you off and you wont be able to do nothing about it, eg they will not let you leave until you pay them THB1000 for 2 beers etc.
    Last edited by Mate; 28th June 2013 at 16:49.

  5. #5
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,962
    Patpong is more than the three streets. It is a few blocks but you have to look for it. Up many alley ways etc.

    Watch out for bars like this though




    There is a whole boy bar section adjacent to silver town jewellery district.

    Yes you will still be a hansum man there too 55555
    josho likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,342
    I was just at Khaosan two weeks back Josh.
    ( Khao san actually means 'rice milled' BTW.)
    My 19 year old Aus daughter likes it there , me not so much as when I was there way back in 1980.
    ( Bonnies Guesthouse ...Bonny was 5 years old , apparently she is now a wealthy developer...)
    Unfortunately today it is packed out with pretty much the same same you can buy anywhere , a 20 metre wide street with maybe 5 metres in width you can actually walk down , whilst still having your path blocked by annoying touts.
    I nearly clonked one ( Bangladeshi) last visit...
    So from the middle heading outwards , you have touts and aerial toy sellers, then panhandlers with quickly moveable glass cases and chairs ( eg jewellry, hand readings , fake tattoo books ) , then pushcarts ( most of whom also flee the hourly Police car patrol), then clothes tents ( same old sh!t with T-shirts with farang girls giving you the finger ) and food stands ( sushi, pizza slabs , kebabs , everything) , then finally , if you can get through all that , real buildings with average bars competing to sell the cheapest beer , tailors ,Tattoo artists , and western style cheapo Thai food.
    I did like the "You Dont Need ID to Drink Here Bar" , but. 555
    Of course its full of farang kids drinking cheap buckets thinking they are blazing some travellers trail...

    Much , much better is the area above the top of Khaosan rd and next to the temple called Wat Chana Songkram ( means Temple Win War I think ).
    When facing the temple when standing in front of the Police Station , cross toward the Wat and go right ,then left on to Soi Rambuttri. This is a great little leafy street of cafes and shops for food or drink... follow it all the way until you get to Phra Atit Road , that runs parallel to the Chao Phraya River. ( See Map)
    Khao San Road travel guide - Wikitravel

    ( You are actually about 10-15 mins walk to The Grand Palace if you went left ...)

    Turn right. This stretch has lots of cool little bars and cafes frequented by Thai students of an evening who will nod and greet you cordially . Lots of imported beers and wines available here and not expensive. Some live low key music also. At Number 4 on the map is an old fortress , part of old Krung Theps ( Bkk) fortifications and worth a look.
    The ferry wharf ( # 10 on the map ) next to it is called Phra Athit and is a scenic way to get to Khaosan if you want to come there by boat up river from say the BTS stop at Saphan Taksin ( Taksin Bridge - not too far from Patpong Road.)
    5 minutes further walk on from the fort ( purple #4 on the map) is a great little blues pub that I highly recommend.

    Back on Khaosan on the top corner opposite the Wat , is one of the famous Gulliver chain of Taverns ( purple #8 on map ) that usually has a mixed crowd as the real young backpackers wont pay middle prices , so its cool and has bands most nights.

    As its been 5 years since I was on Patpong Road , I wont dish out info as old as BM 'meese' and act like its current ...555
    But I will repeat 'mate' and 'jontys' warning above .... the Go Gos there are renowned for scams and I have heard of beers costing well more than $20 each and some serious bouncers insisting you WILL pay. Or youre sitting at a bar and music starts and a girl comes out and strips on the bar...hey presto , the 'Show' will cost you 2000 baht and a tip for the girl is only fair...
    The middle of the roads here have markets selling the same same as well.
    Still , the place is fine for a couple hour walk around , and a hidden gem bar may be found as long as you are VERY clear on pricing and pay as you go...
    Last edited by Chob; 28th June 2013 at 20:37.

  7. #7
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858
    thanks for that chob by the sounds of it khaosan is only good for a ST visit.

    yes i have herd from several people that patpong establishments will scam you but i just had a look at TR done by a BM from bangkok addicts forum. he listed several places that were good, some a little pricey but they wont scam you (Pink Panther, Bada Bing, Electric Blue, King's Castle 1 & 2 and King's Camelot on PP1) which is promising

  8. #8
    Cadet Gold Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    201
    Pretty comprehensive description of Khaosan from Chob so ill only offer my view on Patpong.

    Yeah I've heard about the scams here but have never experienced it myself. Went into a couple of different go go bars on the last trip with no problems, quality of girls wasn't anywhere near as good as nana or cowboy.

    Patpong is now dominated more by night markets these days which are worth a look. Prices are a little high here, I reckon the vendors are upping the prices based on the infamy of the place. It can be really busy as well, lots of tourists keen to say they went to Patpong.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18,342
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    thanks for that chob by the sounds of it khaosan is only good for a ST visit.

    yes i have herd from several people that patpong establishments will scam you but i just had a look at TR done by a BM from bangkok addicts forum. he listed several places that were good, some a little pricey but they wont scam you (Pink Panther, Bada Bing, Electric Blue, King's Castle 1 & 2 and King's Camelot on PP1) which is promising
    There you go , Ive learnt something too!
    But I do urge people to pay as they go.
    "Mistakes" with the bin ( always THEIR way ) are becoming so frequent lately ....

    I also should add that as far as tourists go , my last visit was the quietest I'd ever seen Bkk.
    Last edited by Chob; 28th June 2013 at 21:49.

  10. #10
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Well, if you are feeling adventurous, my friend Rob has been to this place I couple of times and said it is awesome ... tho a little too out there for me. I briefly considered it for an afternoon on my last trip, but passed ... just not really my thing. But Rob says the girls there are amazing and lots of fun ... well worth the price. Again, not sure if this is anything that would interest you, but thought I'd pass it on ....

    Fetish club in Bangkok - BarBar Patpong Soi 2 - Bangkok Thailand - Mistress and BDSM Club
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

  11. #11
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    There you go , Ive learnt something too!
    But I do urge people to pay as they go.
    "Mistakes" with the bin ( always THEIR way ) are becoming so frequent lately ....
    +1

    yes, always best to pay upfront then to get burned in the long run

    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Well, if you are feeling adventurous, my friend Rob has been to this place I couple of times and said it is awesome ... tho a little too out there for me. I briefly considered it for an afternoon on my last trip, but passed ... just not really my thing. But Rob says the girls there are amazing and lots of fun ... well worth the price. Again, not sure if this is anything that would interest you, but thought I'd pass it on ....

    Fetish club in Bangkok - BarBar Patpong Soi 2 - Bangkok Thailand - Mistress and BDSM Club
    Holly fuck 5555 just had a look at that website vanguy 555
    the foot fetish isnt really for me but the spanking and tying up girls part sounds alright 555 by the looks of it you dont have to get involved as such you also have the option of just watching there dominatrix shows 555

    Last edited by josho; 28th June 2013 at 23:30.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,663
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    thanks for that chob by the sounds of it khaosan is only good for a ST visit.

    yes i have herd from several people that patpong establishments will scam you but i just had a look at TR done by a BM from bangkok addicts forum. he listed several places that were good, some a little pricey but they wont scam you (Pink Panther, Bada Bing, Electric Blue, King's Castle 1 & 2 and King's Camelot on PP1) which is promising
    At Patpong, if you don't follow a tout and stay and ground floor level, you are pretty "safe".
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  13. #13
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858
    apparently Bada Bing is rated the best club in patpong, very relaxed and your not pushed into buying lady drinks sounds good to me


    Bada Bing Go-Go Bar in Bangkok - Bangkok.com Magazine
    Last edited by josho; 28th June 2013 at 23:36.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post

    Holly fuck 5555 just had a look at that website vanguy 555
    the foot fetish isnt really for me but the spanking and tying up girls part sounds alright 555 by the looks of it you dont have to get involved as such you also have the option of just watching there dominatrix shows 555
    My buddy Rob heard about it from a friend of his, who is a long-time LOS mongerer. He was a bit leery about it, but said he had the absolute time of his life. He said that the attitude of the girls was 100% and it was wide-open for possibilities. Devil's Den was a challenge for me, and I was just a little too much in fear of the whole leather, whips and chains thing to try Club Bar Bar, but it does look like it could be a lot of fun. I still remember Rob's email from the day after he spent about 6 hours there (and a fair bit of change for that length of time), and he was still flying pretty high, saying it was some of the most fun he'd had in Thailand to date.

    Anyways, I just passed it on, as it is in the area you are looking at, and I wasn't sure if it was up your alley or not. Have fun whatever you choose to indulge in, and be careful out there!! 555

    ps: I watched that video too, and thought the lady does look sort of cute as she gives the tour and describes what each room is for. funny
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

  15. #15
    Platinum josho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    At Patpong, if you don't follow a tout and stay and ground floor level, you are pretty "safe".
    Thanks nomad, puts my mind at ease

    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    My buddy Rob heard about it from a friend of his, who is a long-time LOS mongerer. He was a bit leery about it, but said he had the absolute time of his life. He said that the attitude of the girls was 100% and it was wide-open for possibilities. Devil's Den was a challenge for me, and I was just a little too much in fear of the whole leather, whips and chains thing to try Club Bar Bar, but it does look like it could be a lot of fun. I still remember Rob's email from the day after he spent about 6 hours there (and a fair bit of change for that length of time), and he was still flying pretty high, saying it was some of the most fun he'd had in Thailand to date.

    Anyways, I just passed it on, as it is in the area you are looking at, and I wasn't sure if it was up your alley or not. Have fun whatever you choose to indulge in, and be careful out there!! 555

    ps: I watched that video too, and thought the lady does look sort of cute as she gives the tour and describes what each room is for. funny
    Thanks vanguy, I'm glad you told me about this place 555 I will have a look in October and when I get back I'll do a detailed TR on patpong.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I went to a meeting at the Viengthai Hotel, in the next street.
    I stayed there once too a few years back now and found that street to be a great little entertainment spot with an English type pub and plenty of live music at night...well worth a look.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,327
    Patpong
    has some real cool corner bars now with nice seating and just sit and people watch

    also, i always hit Madrid Bar
    one of the oldest bars in Patpong, going since 1969. quite alot of history there
    it is the 5th picture down on this link
    good food and just reeks of a certain time before

    Timeless Patpong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •