Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dipping my toes in the water.

Dipping my toes in the water.

GíDay All,

Great to find a forum like this to garner some bits of information, hopefully to create a more enjoyable thai travel experience. Itís nice to be able to learn from others as Iíve tended to have too much stuff go wrong on previous holidays, so hoping this time itís forewarned is forearmed, or something like that.

I should say that partly to blame is excessive holiday drinking. I donít drink much back home, so when on holiday I tend to over do it. Also I have this issue where once I have my first drink I literally canít stop, basically until I pass out, which I always hope is back at the hotel. The next day there are definitely gaps in my memory for those last few hours, which usually results in a quick check that I still have everything on me, and no injuries have occurred. Iím sure some of you can relate, itís not something done intentionally, but as I say, that first drink and the rest follows.

So back to my thai holiday. What I had in mind in order to counter the excessive drinking is some nature time. Iím looking at doing a few kayaking trips from Phuket and some other jungle stuff. A few nights away from temptation and that way Iíll have some sober time to balance things out.

When back in Phuket I would like to do some sight seeing, beach time and other activities, which brings me to a few questions I have. I have heard that there are girls that for a fee will spend the day with you and help you to get around and see places, preventing my inevitable getting lost for half the day scenario.

Iím not looking to go on any kind of tour, just to have the company of a friendly lady to help me navigate the place, have a few laughs etc. Not used to travelling by my self, so I think after a few days I might be looking for a companion. Iím not looking for sex or anything (bit cautious), just some general company for some of the time Iím there. Would that be possible and what sort of cost would that involve, $100-$200 a day? of course also I'd be paying for meals, travel and activities.

Also what about getting around the place, I wonít be riding on any scooters, but I also have heard that there is a bit of a tuk tuk mafia thing going on, that makes travelling around very expensive?

If anyone has any suggestions of things worth doing in Phuket, feel free to share, Iíd be really grateful for any tips, advice or words of wisdom

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriffOfNothing View Post
    I should say that partly to blame is excessive holiday drinking. I don’t drink much back home, so when on holiday I tend to over do it. Also I have this issue where once I have my first drink I literally can’t stop, basically until I pass out, which I always hope is back at the hotel. The next day there are definitely gaps in my memory for those last few hours, which usually results in a quick check that I still have everything on me, and no injuries have occurred. I’m sure some of you can relate, it’s not something done intentionally, but as I say, that first drink and the rest follows.
    WTTB SoN

This quote sounds like our moderator DP's description of his nights out!

Get reading, and I am sure all your questions will be answered.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

WTTB mate

im no LOS expert so ill leave it to all the veterans of the forum to give you advice

Quote Originally Posted by SheriffOfNothing View Post
    G’Day All,

Great to find a forum like this to garner some bits of information, hopefully to create a more enjoyable thai travel experience. It’s nice to be able to learn from others as I’ve tended to have too much stuff go wrong on previous holidays, so hoping this time it’s forewarned is forearmed, or something like that.

I should say that partly to blame is excessive holiday drinking. I don’t drink much back home, so when on holiday I tend to over do it. Also I have this issue where once I have my first drink I literally can’t stop, basically until I pass out, which I always hope is back at the hotel. The next day there are definitely gaps in my memory for those last few hours, which usually results in a quick check that I still have everything on me, and no injuries have occurred. I’m sure some of you can relate, it’s not something done intentionally, but as I say, that first drink and the rest follows.

So back to my thai holiday. What I had in mind in order to counter the excessive drinking is some nature time. I’m looking at doing a few kayaking trips from Phuket and some other jungle stuff. A few nights away from temptation and that way I’ll have some sober time to balance things out.

When back in Phuket I would like to do some sight seeing, beach time and other activities, which brings me to a few questions I have. I have heard that there are girls that for a fee will spend the day with you and help you to get around and see places, preventing my inevitable getting lost for half the day scenario.

I’m not looking to go on any kind of tour, just to have the company of a friendly lady to help me navigate the place, have a few laughs etc. Not used to travelling by my self, so I think after a few days I might be looking for a companion. I’m not looking for sex or anything (bit cautious), just some general company for some of the time I’m there. Would that be possible and what sort of cost would that involve, $100-$200 a day? of course also I'd be paying for meals, travel and activities.

Also what about getting around the place, I won’t be riding on any scooters, but I also have heard that there is a bit of a tuk tuk mafia thing going on, that makes travelling around very expensive?

If anyone has any suggestions of things worth doing in Phuket, feel free to share, I’d be really grateful for any tips, advice or words of wisdom
    If you want to save money on drinking,

these can be purchased at 711 for 250 baht...gets you about 12 shots. I suggest drinking the entire thing before hitting any bars...will save tons of money and the onset of the drunk is a lot more euphoric then beer or drinking liquor slowly would ever create.

90% of girls you meet at a bar or especially ones on the beach in the after hours will be more then happy to "tour" you around especially without sex. Do not hesitate to ask. Girlfriends friends in the past who I like to conversate with about $ they make from farangs run older bro's about 1500 baht per 24 hours to 2000 for a sleepover and full day "tour".

Stick with the scooters. Your not going to die. They are fun and inexpensive.

No need to be cautious about sex mate...if your not going to use a condom just make sure your immune systems up to par and you won't catch anything and don't be afraid of sleeping with the girls who weigh 90lbs their bodies are so malnutrition-ed from staying awake that the viral/bacteria cell count of any std is near untraceable or transferable. Granted their immune systems are compromised given their state, the viral/bacteria cell count is relative only to their body...certainly not yours who I presume is in full health. I've never caught anything from any girl and I never use protection.

If your really looking to counter excessive drinking or random things to do if it rains or you don't feel like spending money.

Most rooms come with an LCD tv so bring an HDMI cable along with your laptop to stream movies or whatever on rainy days. There are plenty of football leagues and google some volunteer work to participate in.

Some days I would spend 800$ and have a blast

Some days I would spend 10$ and have even more fun

Hope that helps

Oh and if you are on HOLIDAY as opposed to living there, don't ever haggle in Thailand...incredibly distasteful to try and scheme a 100 baht discount off a hard working Thai person who's minimum wage is 16x less as yours.
    Last edited by supmate; 19th July 2013 at 19:51.
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post
    WTTB mate

im no LOS expert so ill leave it to all the veterans of the forum to give you advice
    Thx Mate. Good to meet a fellow QLD'r, I'm just up the road on the Sunny Coast. Have you been to Thailand much? I'm planning for an October trip, work permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post

these can be purchased at 711 for 250 baht...gets you about 12 shots. I suggest drinking the entire thing before hitting any bars...will save tons of money and the onset of the drunk is a lot more euphoric then beer or drinking liquor slowly would ever create.

90% of girls you meet at a bar or especially ones on the beach in the after hours will be more then happy to "tour" you around especially without sex. Do not hesitate to ask. Girlfriends friends in the past who I like to conversate with about $ they make from farangs run older bro's about 1500 baht per 24 hours to 2000 for a sleepover and full day "tour".

No need to be cautious about sex mate...if your not going to use a condom just make sure your immune systems up to par and you won't catch anything and don't be afraid of sleeping with the girls who weigh 90lbs their bodies are so malnutrition-ed from staying awake that the viral/bacteria cell count of any std is near untraceable or transferable. Granted their immune systems are compromised given their state, the viral/bacteria cell count is relative only to their body...certainly not yours who I presume is in full health. I've never caught anything from any girl and I never use protection.

If your really looking to counter excessive drinking or random things to do if it rains or you don't feel like spending money.

Most rooms come with an LCD tv so bring an HDMI cable along with your laptop to stream movies or whatever on rainy days. There are plenty of football leagues and google some volunteer work to participate in.

Hope that helps

Oh and if you are on HOLIDAY as opposed to living there, don't ever haggle in Thailand...incredibly distasteful to try and scheme a 100 baht discount off a hard working Thai person who's minimum wage is 16x less as yours.

Thanks for the info Mate. Not sure about the unprotected sex part.. but the rest resonates. When you say football leagues, do you mean on TV or physically at the ground? I'd like to check out some Muay Thai as well.

Knocking off a bottle of that sangsom should give a very good start indeed!

2000 for a day tour and sleep over sounds great.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    What do they say...never seek advice on the internet. Are you for real!
    Last edited by Nomad; 19th July 2013 at 20:21. Reason: Edited for Supmate!
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    What do they say...never seek advice on the internet. Are you for real!
    About what?

Please ignore the part in bold. Plenty of healthy people catch STDs from unprotected sex. And unprotected sex in Thailand's Tourist centres is particularly risky...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Please ignore the part in bold. Plenty of healthy people catch STDs from unprotected sex. And unprotected sex in Thailand's Tourist centres is particularly risky...
    Yeah sorry about the wording, was just going off my track record. Realistically it should say unlikely instead of you won't.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Welcome to the board mate.

Try the quad bikes if you're interested. You don't have to have any experience, they'll guide you through. Loads of fun. Boat trips to the islands might be up your alley as well. But make sure it's a good one with only a handful of people on it, as Thai boat tours tend to jam dozens of tourists into crowded boats like sheep, taking them to crowded beaches not worth a sh*t just to maximise profit. So ask around before booking that one. Try and go with Western companies.

And having female company is of course more pleasant, but if you're mainly interested in sight seeing, just look for a local driver who knows his way around. Pay him a fee for the day and you got yourself transport + tour guide. I wouldn't really know how much it would cost you. But in Bali I usually pay a driver 4 to 500k, which works out to around 50 bucks a day. Thailand would be a bit more, and I would go as far as paying 100-150 Aussie a day for one, if he's willing to pick you up early and make a full day out of it for ya. Meals are cheap and I wouldn't even bother worrying about the money unless you're really on a tight budget. Treat your driver. They'll love it and look after you more in return.

And last time I was in Phuket I had a female driver giving me lifts to and from the airport. If I wanted to I could have hired her for a day to drive me around and give me tours as well, so they're definitely there too, which will make your time more pleasant. Juts have to ask around. Starting at the hotel is a good place. Especially if you're staying somewhere like Summer Breeze or anywhere else with a Western Owner. That and Kelly's are the only ones I know personally, but there might be more.

And that's about the extend of my knowledge.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    You should be rewriting all the literature I have ever read..!

If your immune system is on par, you cannot get STD's and HIV?
    If nutritional status is poor, the virus count is low?

Please, anything to back this up other than the fact you have been lucky so far?
    Would like to put up some malnourished HIV patients, but that would be distasteful..
    And I would like to compare these statements with your statements on substance abuse, addiction, etc. But this is still on L1...

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Yeah sorry about the wording, was just going off my track record. Realistically it should say unlikely instead of you won't.
    Perhaps the most piss poor advice I've ever seen on a forum......

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Welcome to the board Sheriff ON.
    Your post reminds me of my first ever thailand trip post on another board and you are asking the same questions as I did.
    Exactly like you, I wasn't looking for anything in particular but it found me anyway.
    The bars in Phuket are full of friendly ladies many of whom (Not all) are just waiting for you to ask them to accompany you on your holiday. Just remember that many of them have regular jobs that they would really like to keep after you return home, so don't expect them to just drop everything to go with you. The best approach is to talk about what you want and see who puts up their hand. As you have said you aren't expecting instant sex so make it clear that you are not there to butterfly. Many thai girls would love to show you around in return for a fair daily income, plus expenses from you. Other than that, you really should expect to have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    Perhaps the most piss poor advice I've ever seen on a forum......
    Never said it was wise but sure as hell packs a punch 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Hey Mod's and guys and girls.

How about a few sticky's "Advise on first time in Patong/Phukett"
    Another "Advise on first time in BKK"
    Also "First time in Pattaya".

We can cover all the normal things, metred taxi rank, GF (Girl friendly) Motels. Barfines (what they are not costs) Day trips, night exercises, etc.

Then if after reading these there are other or more specific questions we can do it on a normal thread.

I think a lot of us have answered the same things on posts by most of the fresh members.

Over to you.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Never said it was wise but sure as hell packs a punch 55
    Please be aware that a new member does not know you, and is not aware of the amount of stupidity in your actions..
    Someone might take what you say serious..
    TMTBOUND likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

Hope that helps

I think I disagree with just about everything in this post 555
    TMTBOUND likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Please be aware that a new member does not know you, and is not aware of the amount of stupidity in your actions..
    Someone might take what you say serious..
    And then they would deserve all the bad luck they get....

If people can't tell what is stupid health advice, then they likely suffer a lot of mischief in their life...

And probably best they see what sort of ridicule someone presenting that advice receives, rather than burying it....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    And then they would deserve all the bad luck they get....

If people can't tell what is stupid health advice, then they likely suffer a lot of mischief in their life...

And probably best they see what sort of ridicule someone presenting that advice receives, rather than burying it....
    Had to read that a couple of times..555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast