Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Planning my next trip

Cadet Gold

Planning my next trip

Hi Gents

I've been away from the board for a while. Was far to depressed to even think about Thailand after I got home from my last trip. That was 6 months ago. I've only just recovered... So I am now ready to think about my next one, only I am am not sure when to go, where to go, or what to do!

My first experience of LOS was a backpacking trip with a few mates: Bangkok, Phuket, Lanta, Phi Phi, Samui and Phangan. It was such an adventure! I had never experienced anything like it. Obviously I fell in love with the place and have been back every year since, although admittedly subsequent trips have been more 'nightlife' based. I normally do a week in Patong followed by the same in Samui. Every night is mainly drinking and looking for girls. Days are I spent reading on the beach and getting massages. I did try Pattaya once, hated it - too many Russians and the Thais seemed miserable.

For the next trip I would like a good mix of adventure, culture and girls. I normally go in June (for my birthday) but the past trip was in February because I wasn't working at the time. The difference in season made a huge difference. Both Patong and Samui were far too busy for my liking. Falangs everywhere. I much prefer to spend time with the locals.

So I am thinking April/May could be the best time to visit, after Songkran? The end of the year is too wet, and too long to wait.

As for where to go; I have never been to Chiang Mia so at least a few days will be dedicated to that. Probably at the end of the holiday. Is there much to do there - nightlife and culture wise?

I should probably start the trip with a few days in Bangkok. The anticipation will have me horny as hell. There will only be one thing on my mind. But I am bit intimdated about being there alone. Should I be? I feel safe on the islands but remember BKK at night feeling very shady at night. Maybe if I stay within walking distance to Nana it won't be so bad? But then there is more of a traveller culture in Kho San Road. It would be better to meet people to find adventures with there. I'm 35.

I will also do a week in both Samui and Phuket, but would like to experience a different side of them. I stayed at the SBH last time which was great, but it did mean I never had to go more than 100 yards from Bangla. It was the same in Chaweng. My hotel was close to Soi Green Mango, I ate at the Ark bar and drank at Henry Africa. Undoubtedly I will find myself in either those places at the end of the night, but I would like to experience a different side of the islands.

I'm also quite tempted by train or boat trips.

Any recommendations?

How long did you spend in Pattaya? I actually find Pattaya very relaxing and laid back.... because it is so big, you can wander down sois and hardly see another farang... and the girls seem relaxed too. Much as I love Lamai... Pattaya has become like my favourite teddy bear to me... 555

Chiang Mai... why at the end? I'd make it nearer the start... if you have never been it may feel a bit quiet after all the other places. My only recommendation is not to cram too much in... else you spend far too much travelling.

Have you tried Lamai beach?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    I was there for a couple of weeks over Christmas a few years ago. The scene felt totally different to me. I mostly drank around walking street. Very rarely would any of the girls talk to me. It's the opposite in Patong. I usually know all of htme after sitting down for an hour.

I always head to Lamai for at least one days and night when I am in Samui. Last time I did a full lap, didn't see anyone I was even close to fancying, so headed back within 20 minutes, never to return!

I was thinking of Chaing Mai at the end as it will give me some time to recover from weeks of hard drinking in Samui and Patong!

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    I was there for a couple of weeks over Christmas a few years ago. The scene felt totally different to me. I mostly drank around walking street. Very rarely would any of the girls talk to me. It's the opposite in Patong. I usually know all of htme after sitting down for an hour.

I always head to Lamai for at least one days and night when I am in Samui. Last time I did a full lap, didn't see anyone I was even close to fancying, so headed back within 20 minutes, never to return!

I was thinking of Chaing Mai at the end as it will give me some time to recover from weeks of hard drinking in Samui and Patong!
    You want to get away from Walking Street and see the sois... far more relaxed... but two weeks is quite a long time. So you should have got a good feel... 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I wouldn't worry about BKK at night, maybe just avoid Sukhumvit Soi 3 & 5 if you want to be cautious (but unnecessary IMHO). There are alot of ladyboys on Soi 4/Nana, just don't be an easy target for pickpockets.
    Last edited by Bawdy; 22nd July 2014 at 16:51.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Ahhh a trip planning thread. Love these. I'm thinking mid October myself(this year). Or possibly hold off in favour of a longer trip in December.

It's already been six months. You sure you don't fancy a short trip this year?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Did you ever finish your old TR? Can't remember.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Ahhh a trip planning thread. Love these. I'm thinking mid October myself(this year). Or possibly hold off in favour of a longer trip in December.

It's already been six months. You sure you don't fancy a short trip this year?
    The months have flown by.
    I've gone 7 months since my last trip to LOS and not really hanging to get back.
    Melbourne for a weekend next month.
    Back to LOS next April I think.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    The months have flown by.
    I've gone 7 months since my last trip to LOS and not really hanging to get back.
    Melbourne for a weekend next month.
    Back to LOS next April I think.
    You should go in September QS, your team ain't playing finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    quiksilva likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Did you ever finish your old TR? Can't remember.
    The last we heard he had arrived in Samui .. 5555

What happened Wannabe ?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Wannabe , lots of threads on CM , Raming Lodge is a favourite place to stay for BMs , great location , GF , good value - when I was there my favourite things were , Doi Suthep and Patara Elephant Farm
    Last edited by Stillearly; 23rd July 2014 at 03:32.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    My last trip on my own was for 12 Days on the way back from the UK about 18 months ago. Had 8 nights Phuket & 4 nights Lamai. Really enjoy Phuket and Lamai, but am getting to enjoy Samui the more I go there. It still has a great island feel about it. The farther you get away from Chaewang, the better it feels.

I Stayed at a beach front place in Maenam Beach with my GF last year on a 16 night trip as well as Bohput & Lamai, and found Maenam very quiet, but a really good place to stay. Good places to eat, very few bars and a great market at the weekends. Fair few places on the beach to eat and drink though.

3 nights there for me was about enough, but would have no hesitations visiting on my own if I just wanted to totally chill out for a while and is even more chilled out than Lamai
    Last edited by chelski; 23rd July 2014 at 03:22.

Cadet Gold
    When I got to Samui the bungalow I had booked was too far from the wireless router to get internet access. It was too much of a pain in the ass to lug my laptop out to the reception area. Plus, there really wasn't much to report. I slept alone every night. It's not as if I didn't try, but Samui at the time had very slim pickings. There were a few special massages during the day time, but I mostly just played golf in the day and pool at Henry Africa in the evenings. I did make one trip out to Lamai, and one around Reggae Bar, but both seemed lifeless. I didn't expect anything more to be honest. It's always been like that every other time I've been. I had a great time relaxing and hanging out with the staff at Henry.

I've spoken to friends in Samui who told me it is still busy in April/May. I much prefer it in low season, so will delay my trip until June. That means I have almost a year until my next trip... I have been thinking about taking my first trip to the Philippines in December. That seems to be the best time weather wise. Plus, I am self employed so don't get paid on public holidays. I wouldn't be able to work two days of the two weeks anyway. I will post another thread about that.
    Stillearly likes this.

456 Bacwaan approved TGs say Lamai aint lifeless... 555

You must be very unlucky...

Cadet Gold
    More like very fussy. My stringent requirements are:

1) Similar age to me, early 30's
    2) Cute
    3) Happy eyes
    4) Big boobs
    5) At least 7/10
    6) Good English
    7) No stretch marks
    8) Fancies me too (or a very good actress)

ahhh big boobs.... I see your problem... 555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar

2) Cute
    3) Happy eyes
    4) Big boobs
    5) At least 7/10
    6) Good English
    7) No stretch marks

555..it take more than 20 mins to assess one and put the ticks or crosses in their boxes....let alone anything else you may want to put in them....555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Wannabee, perhaps in the time that it took to asses the attributes of said BG's most were snapped up from under you nose.

While being not as busy as Phuket, I certainly would not call Lamai/Chaewang lifeless. I have visited in July and September and found plenty to do and people to drink and eat with.

Just booked my Feb 2015 tickets with EK through ebookers for just under 500, I know that there are advises to wait until between 3 months and six weeks for best prices but I wanted the A380 all the way (only because I felt better after my last trip having got 4 seats to myself and I think the volume of air and individual air louvres), the shortest total time and using the same terminal in DXB (last trip arrived on a B777 and transfered to A380 but did not realise until last knockings I had to catch the underground train to next terminal) also I wanted to arrive early morning to meet up with TGF coming up on overnight bus and same reason, morning departure, she leaves me at BKK and catches her bus back.
    Icing is, a day after booking, the price jumped 26-

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar

2) Cute
    3) Happy eyes
    4) Big boobs
    5) At least 7/10
    6) Good English
    7) No stretch marks
    You should plan a trip with Sheriff of Nothing and run amok.
    Nomad likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast