Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1
  • 1 Post By Hatari

Thread: Cheeky Bugger, er Begger

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Cheeky Bugger, er Begger

Remember seeing pics of this poor guy begging in Bangkok with the huge bloated leg on the Facebook pages of some of my fav. Thai girls, got alot of sympathy and they raised 40 000 Bt for him to get home. So what does he do with the money? Same thing I would! 555

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-ne...ourist-police/

in The Nation as well

Man with swollen leg detained, may be deported; social media fumes over abuse of Thai generosity

AFTER ATTRACTING sympathy and donations from Thais in Bangkok, a German with an excessively swollen leg was seen enjoying drinks and the nightlife in Pattaya on Wednesday night. Tourist police have detained Benjamin Holse, 29.
    The taxi motorcyclists in Pattaya claimed that Holse showed off more than Bt40,000 when they recognised him. "He also gave us money, telling us to get him some beer and some girls for him to sleep with," one of the taxi motorcyclists said

on beggars - on 1 September our town's afternoon/evening marketplaces were moved and combined at a new purpose-built area, covered area about football field size, as much again concreted for food carts/tables under umbrellas, and lots of parking

And a few weeks later, something we did not have previously - beggars.

Usually we only see them at festival times in Chan city when there will be a selection of mother-with-baby, limbless landmine victims, blind and so on.
    I would be considered a soft touch. What if they're put there by a 'gang' and are kept as virtual slaves? What if they're genuine? Who knows.
    Though MsH did note the man with one leg, when finished begging, puts on his artificial leg and rides off on his motorbike. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's a fraud does it? He may not be able to earn/work at any job. There's no welfare as we may know it from western countries.

I really don't know.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I have told before, I'm a soft touch and in Patts there are a lot of them.
    Sometimes they come around the bars and the owner will shoo them away. At first I thought it was harsh but I can understand they don't want their customers hassled.

There was a woman and very small, malnutrioned baby that sat in the gutter outside a 7/11 on 2nd Rd just North of Soi Dianna. I used to drop 50 or100bt most days to her.
    One day I was with my expat mate that lives there and I dropped her 50bt,, Gary just shook his head at me and when we stopped at a bar he said to me they are professionals, they pay off the cops, they are dropped off and picked up by a guy in a Merc.
    I couldn't believe a woman would deliberately starve her baby, it was just the same as the ones on TV adds for African save the kids charities.
    What I did was I stopped giving money but i bought milk and food from the 7/11 and gave her that instead. I felt better that way but now I have learnt that they have a deal with the owners of the shop and return the milk for 1/2 the price in cash!!

Still it wasn't much to me and I would hate to refuse someone that was genuine just because of some that are a con.
    Bacon likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I was much the same JC, until the missus wised me up.... She reckons, not to give money to the beggars, because of the reasons you say, but she is the first to give money to the *disadvantaged* kid selling stickers or the blind bloke singing awful songs being led around by his missus.. She reckons, that at least those people are having a bit of a go, where the beggars are being *run* by others.... I don't know how true that is though, could be urban legend, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was true..
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    When in NYC years back, we had Breakfast every day for a week in a corner Cafe with big glass windows. Someone gave us the heads up to watch outside and sure enough everyday without fail a car pulled up, and a few scruffy individuals got out and moved off. When we walked back to our Hotel, said individuals were on the next few street corners, begging.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Yea Dave I think the girls know best. Both Jeab and Bum told me they are not even Thai, most are imported by the bosses.
    I agree with your lady, giving to someone trying to have a go. There was an old Thai man, had all of 3 teeth left 555 used to see him around the LK Metro/Dianna area collecting plastic bottles out of the bins, he never bothered anyone and was always smiling, I have no idea how old he was but it was old, maybe 70-80??? so I would slip him 100bt when I was walking past every couple of days.
    The first time he looked at the note, sort of couldn't understand..maybe he hadn't seen one for a long time 5555 he looked at me and you could see in his eyes he was wondering what I was doing..Why??? then as I walked past he jumped in front and wheyed me and dropped to his knees. I felt like crying for This poor old fellow. I used to look for him when i was walking around the area but only caught him about 5 times in 5 weeks, I guess he worked the bins in other areas as well.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    "Rent a baby" is common in Chiang Mai. I wised up after the first year. There was a whole group (maybe still are) that used to live near my hotel in Chiang Mai. One adult would walk the whole group of kids (ages 6 to 12) into the Loi Kroh bar area of the city (2 km away) about 8PM and walk them home again just after midnight when the bars started closing. I got to recognize the boys when I walked around my neighbourhood. Some were cheeky little devils that I couldn't help but like. Occasionally, I would buy them a meal but never gave them money. I taught a few of the older boys to play pool figuring they might get good enough to be hustlers later. They sure weren't going to learn anything useful from their parents. I took a couple of the older girls (12 years old?) and got them into better schools so they could learn something useful. I had a 50% success ratio. One graduated and the other didn't. I think they are about 22 now.

early days when I lived in Karon used to spend time at a bar - since closed - evenings there'd be a child or two selling flowers, English owner there always gave them 20 or was it 50 baht, 'on your way', said he knew they were genuine, I of course being there all of a few weeks and therefore an 'expert' thought they were a fraud
    few months after, I moved to Chalong and the mother of those kids lived near us. She had 4 kids, two or maybe three to a Swede who had left, and left them with less than nothing (debts when he split). Used to cart the four kids around one as pillion three in the sidecar - get them scrubbed up, clean, off to school, she spent the day doing house cleaning, preparing and weaving flowers. Owners of the little local 'restaurant' often gave them food. A hard worker doing the best she could for her kids.
    How wrong I was.

Whenever we're going near the border - not far from us, MsH takes food for the kids. Same when we're in Phnom penh, her little 'mission' involves food and fresh fruit from the market for the 'river kids'. They can be a pain with their begging for a dollar, but to see them devour whatever food's offered at 7am, well, nothing false about that.
    One for the heartstrings, one time we went - about 3mths from last visit - little girl recognised her, showing the little embroidered New Zealand flag we'd given her as 'ID'.

I'll add my own counter-argument here

When I worked in NZ, Wellington, used to be an old bloke, big Santa beard, who would simply kneel, silent, hands in front of him
    He reminded me of one of my late father's friends, and I grew my own guilt trip, 'what if, eg, it was one of dad's old WWII friends'
    Despite the jibes of workmates I donated a dollar or two every time I saw him
    Then he was in The Dominion, regional newspaper, quite wealthy just 'not 100%' seems he just went begging for a hobby, no need for $ at all.

Win some, lose some.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    the blind bloke singing awful songs being led around by his missus.. She reckons, that at least those people are having a bit of a go,
    One of those teams use to come into my local bar in Patong.
    The bar owner had adopted a big dog from Thais who must have mistreated it as it hated Thai men and would bark and growl at them if they came near the bar.

Blind guy and assistant come in one day and the dog is growling and snapping at his ankle and blind guy tilts his head down ever so slightly when he hears it growl and snap and manages to pull his foot away from it's jaws a few times just in time and in the right direction to stop the dog biting him.

Seems you only need to squint to pull that one off 55 i' m sure there's some that are genuine though....which ones?? don't know.

I use to call them a blind man and assistant franchise as you would see them all over tourist spots here all seemingly with their own turf as the same ones would go into the same bars all the time..

As mentioned before entrepreneurs would scour the countryside looking for the most hideously disabled people to take them to places like Patong,set them up begging and split the money with them.

"Coke bottle man" in Patong was said to be very wealthy and drove a Merc. He was on the streets just about every night mainly making money from people who wanted a pic with him.
    As mentioned beggar scams are common in the west too.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 29th September 2014 at 12:29.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

City foreign beggars to be deported
    in General | October 10, 2014

The Social Development and Human Security Ministry will begin a crackdown on beggars in the capital as they might fall victims to human trafficking.

Foreign beggars will be deported while Thai children beggars will be sent to schools.

According to the Minister of Social Development and Human Security Pol Gen Adul Sangsingkeo, certain measures to regulate beggars found living off the streets and pedestrian bridges in the capital will be implemented next week.

He said the number of beggars in Bangkok has been steadily growing due to poverty, among them are a number of children belonging to a human trafficking gang were forced to beg on the streets.

Many are dependents of migrant workers and are unable to attend schools, he said.

Therefore, he has requested municipality officials, social workers, doctors, and NGOs to help provide aid to these homeless people and resolve the problem of human trafficking.

Pol Gen Adul said that should these beggars be foreign nationals, then they would be sent to the Immigration Office and deported back to their countries of origin.

But if these beggars are Thais, then the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security would provide assistance to let them have a better opportunity in society.

As of now, it is estimated that there are at least 410 Thai beggars and 323 foreign beggars living in Bangkok, he said.