Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Minder's Soi Cowboy Bar Review(s)

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

Minder's Soi Cowboy Bar Review(s)

http://www.bangkok-infoguide.com/upl...soi_cowboy.jpg

REVIEW NUMBER ONE - July 2016

Many BMs here know that I have, and have always had since first setting foot in LOS a soft spot for Soi Cowboy and its lifesaving Angels or as I have called them more than once, Thailand’s mid-life resuscitation teams.

However, having posted more than once about the delights of Soi Cowboy, I feel that I have offered little more than a personal opinion to date.

So to address this shortcoming I have deliberately engaged in genuine field research of late utilizing a scientific methodology as follows :
    1. Note the approximate time
    2. Go into the bar
    3. Order a beer – Leo / if “No have” then a)Tiger b) Singha c) San Mig Light
    4. Note Happy Hour status and time remaining if any.
    5. Note the cost of the small bottle of beer as per the Bin slip.
    6. Note the number of customers, atmosphere
    7. Note the attire and numbers of girls on stage

1930hrs on a Saturday Night in July 2016 – research begins with a walk up and down Soi Cowboy commencing at the Soi 23 end – looking for drink bargains as good science requires not only investigation but repetition....

The only bars that I see openly advertising Happy Hours that Saturday night were:

The Lighthouse - till 9pm – 80baht (Lighthouse is a fairly newish agogo, which I believe is sister-bar to the Shark bar agogo),

The Dollhouse – till 8pm – 95 baht

Shark Bar – till 8pm – 80 baht (I think)

If my regular Happy Hour haunts – Suzi Wongs and Tilac – were offering Happy Hours I did not see a sign saying so.

So with the clock ticking and research awaiting the first stop after a couple of sweeps up and down the Soi is The Lighthouse.

The Happy Hour Leo priced at 80 baht was downed in about 15 minutes to loud Techno thump thump music – the eight or so girls on stage ranged from bikini, to topless to at least one fully naked girl which I thought surprising given the early hour.

Next stop was The Dollhouse
    The beer was still 95 baht with the Happy Hour price lasting till 9pm there – by 8pm when I moved on every girl on stage was dancing naked. The bar was still fairly quiet at this time with the upstairs table-dancing area not yet in use.

Then came the first miss-step of the night as I now entered Shark Bar after the end of the Happy Hour at 8pm and found the place fairly quiet and the dancers fully clothed, so decided to come back later.

Note to self: Better scheduling and/or faster drinking will be required in future.

Next bar was a long long-time favourite location called, (Yes, DP you guessed it) Long Gun.
    However to my surprise, given the prevailing dress codes at the previous three establishments – every girl on stage was wearing the standard two-piece bar issue striped bikini. The time was now around 8:30 pm and the beer cost 120 baht.

However over the next 30 minutes things changed pace a little and by 9pm for as I moved on - the 16 or so girls dancing on stage were all in birthday suits.

Next stop, having worked my way almost to the end of Soi Cowboy heading toward Asoke, was the sister bar to Long Gun and my personal all-time favourite, Rawhide.

The beer was a reasonably priced – given the time – 120 baht and the girls all naked but in smaller numbers compared to Long Gun. Despite the girls, when clothed, wearing the same striped bar issued bikinis as the Long Gun - and therefore probably transiting between both bars throughout the night – the Rawhide girls appeared to be the younger group.

After leaving Rawhide it was time to retrace my steps back up the Soi and around the corner in Soi 23 to the home of the new but highly successful, Crazy House agogo.
    First stop was to cross the street and take a couple of photos of the club from outside as the time stamps always come in handy for cross checking the times of my notes which were already becoming a little erratic after only the first four beers.

Now came the second rethink for the night as a nasty altercation appeared to take place at the door of Crazy House with a huge young bald guy calling the odds to no-one in particular and a mixed crowd milling around and spilling onto Soi 23 where an impatient Tuk-Tuk driver gunned his vehicle thru the leading edge of the crowd who yelled angrily back as they scattered. The space around the bar entry had that “about to go off” atmosphere.

No so much worried as feeling I can’t be bothered with this sh:t I decided that research into Crazy House could wait till next time and retired around the corner back into Soi Cowboy and onto the next stop, the popular Suzi Wongs.

Suzi Wongs IMHO sets a standard for girls, shows and service that is amongst the best in the industry – but as always, whether or not you have a good time there is pretty much “up to you” on the night.

This bar was another “no have” for Leo Beer and the Tiger replacement was 175 baht as the evening was now well underway with 9:30pm now behind us. The place was crowded with a full on Saturday night feeling well developed. The ten or so girls on stage were wearing garters and suspenders and most had dyed hair (upstairs) ranging from shades of blonde to darkish brown, only two were still black on black.

After 10pm I took another look in the door of Shark Bar and found the place packed with no readily available seating, the girls dancing on stage at that time were all fully clothed.

Next bar stop was the nearby Midnite Bar which had exactly one other customer in it when I entered. This is a phenomenon that has always fascinated me, how certain bars can be standing room only while their neighbours are empty.

Clearly there is more to making a bar successful than just providing girls, lights, alcohol and music. However with the 200 baht price tag for a beer even at that hour being top dollar and with Lady Drinks at 250 baht for a tequila shot that is gone in ten seconds, it is not hard to see why the Midnite Bar was soon reduced to lone customer status again.

The next and what became the final bar stop was back to Rawhide where after 11pm beers where now 170 baht (up from the earlier 130 baht). My note taking by this stage seems to have deteriorated for some unknown reason (hic) as I did not note the price of Lady Drinks at Rawhide.

Thus concludes Bar Review One…

Attachment 13648

(Please note that due to the distress caused to other non-resident BMs by the high frequency of his previously recorded visits Minder will no longer confirm or deny his presence in Bangkok )
    Quarky, PeteGill, Changone and 2 others like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ Six months too late you crafty old dog 5555

I could have used this for my two nights down Cowboy way. As I was on my last stretch before heading home I did not worry too much about beer prices, but did find that some places were packed and some very empty....

Looking forward to revue two.
    Minder likes this.

Good to hear Long Gun is still a standard bearer... Rawhide never gave me the same vibe it gives you.. not sure why... then again I don't frequent GoGos that often...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Maybe after Minder's latest review I might have to have another look at Bangkok... other than just passing through to somewhere else. Then again, maybe I'm just getting old. 555 I haven't been to Soi Cowboy in at least 10 years.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Good report ...
    Im looking fwd to when you cover Baccarra - the one with the upstairs glass floor for the girls...

A map may be useful...

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=ma...96rRtk4e28M%3A

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Good one. The tone zigzags between a sort of article and trip report.

Been a while for me. I'm in Bangers for a night next Friday week, but doubt I can pop in to Cowboy. Mate's missus will be with us so it'll probably be a couple of rooftop bars for me, which I'm looking forward to as well. I'll see if I can ditch them towards the end and get a sneaky crawl in.
    Cuzzy likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Anything to report on Nana? Spankys in particular.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

So to address this shortcoming I have deliberately engaged in genuine field research of late utilizing a scientific methodology as follows :
    Bwahaha....ok Solly Mr M "Scientific"...

Did you have a sober person there as control? I find my reviews of places get better and better as the night unfolds.
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    How's the Missus Khun Minder?
    meese likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Looking smashing I bet. He gets set loose on Cowboy when she's at the hairdressers. This must have been a long session.
    Minder and Changone like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i think you should do it all over again..just for research purposes and to confirm that all info is correct 55555555
    Minder likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    What a **** 555

I am not a gogo guy at all, but I actually like going to Soi Cowboy now that they have outdoor seating at a lot of the bars
    It is much more open than Nana so you don't feel closed in
    Ao and I went there last time I was in BKK for a few beers

I also went to that Bacarra 2 years ago with Robaht from AI.........horrible atmosphere, IMO
    Barely any room to sit

The best times I've had in gogos were in empty ones where it was just me and a couple of friends. You really do create your own atmosphere.

So it kind of sh*ts me even when I catch myself in a less than stellar mood because a certain gogo isn't quite what I expect it to be or some trivial sh*t has managed to piss me off. At the end of the day it still beats just about anywhere else you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The best times I've had in gogos were in empty ones where it was just me and a couple of friends. You really do create your own atmosphere.

So it kind of sh*ts me even when I catch myself in a less than stellar mood because a certain gogo isn't quite what I expect it to be or some trivial sh*t has managed to piss me off. At the end of the day it still beats just about anywhere else you can be.
    Well except if you actually don't like gogo bars 555

I much prefer Canadian Strip clubs.. 555

Long Gun and Angelwitch are the only ones that keep me interested more than 5 minutes...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i find air con enhances interesting.
    Quarky likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I much prefer Canadian Strip clubs.. 555

Long Gun and Angelwitch are the only ones that keep me interested more than 5 minutes...
    So you have not much to add here then 5555
    Quarky likes this.

Cadet Gold
    I guess I have to give Soi Cowboy another try. I've only been there once. Went to a handful different bars and agogos, and I was annoyed a the price level, so I went to Nana Plaza and never looked back. Maybe I will go in happy hour
    Minder likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast