Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: delete this old crap pleeeeese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from how I read the retirement visa, you need to put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account and leave it there. That is about $35,000 Canadian. Sorry, i'm not putting $35K cash in ANY bank, Canada included. Anything more than $10K cash gets invested... and certainly not in Thailand where I would have no access to it for 7 months of the year.

For the 6 month TOURIST visa (which I qualify for) I only have to show proof that I have an income of over 60,000 baht a month, which I do. I don't WANT to stay more than 5 months in Thailand each year, and 4 is even better.

I don't mind the two motorbike rides to the border each winter. When Pui was alive I rather enjoyed it because I was up there anyway. It's only when I have to do the trip on a specific date that it becomes a minor annoyance when I might have something else planned. And, because they are tearing up the road in the mountains on hwy 118, it's not as much fun as it once was. Who knows what century that section will get finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from how I read the retirement visa, you need to put 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account and leave it there. That is about $35,000 Canadian. Sorry, i'm not putting $35K cash in ANY bank, Canada included. Anything more than $10K cash gets invested... and certainly not in Thailand where I would have no access to it for 7 months of the year.

For the 6 month TOURIST visa (which I qualify for) I only have to show proof that I have an income of over 60,000 baht a month, which I do. I don't WANT to stay more than 5 months in Thailand each year, and 4 is even better.

I don't mind the two motorbike rides to the border each winter. When Pui was alive I rather enjoyed it because I was up there anyway. It's only when I have to do the trip on a specific date that it becomes a minor annoyance when I might have something else planned. And, because they are tearing up the road in the mountains on hwy 118, it's not as much fun as it once was. Who knows what century that section will get finished.
    You only need the 800,000 if you wish to extend the "O" or the "O-A" visa.

You should be applying for from Canada a Non-Immigrant Visa Category "O-A" for Temporary Residents which cost $250CAD, This allows you to stay upto 1 year in Thailand with 90 day reports.

You must be over 50 and have either $25,000CAD in a Canadian bank or a monthly income of more than $2,100CAD and you need a medical certificate from Canada.
    Last edited by Chilli; 12th March 2019 at 12:14.

He is a link from the Thai Embassy in Canada explaining the visa

Non-Immigrant Visa Category "O-A" for Temporary Residents | Royal Thai Embassy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    You only need the 800,000 if you wish to extend the "O" or the "O-A" visa.

You should be applying for from Canada a Non-Immigrant Visa Category "O-A" for Temporary Residents which cost $250CAD, This allows you to stay upto 1 year in Thailand with 90 day reports.

You must be over 50 and have either $25,000CAD in a Canadian bank or a monthly income of more than $2,100CAD and you need a medical certificate from Canada.
    If he's not keeping money in a Canadian bank either then this is still same same. I doubt they'd be ok with equivalent investments other than hard cash, especially non-fluid ones? Not sure.

I think most of Ian's cash is hidden in various bear caves around Canada for safe keeping.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    If he's not keeping money in a Canadian bank either then this is still same same. I doubt they'd be ok with equivalent investments other than hard cash, especially non-fluid ones? Not sure.

I think most of Ian's cash is hidden in various bear caves around Canada for safe keeping.
    I don't know about Canada. But US banks pay shit interest on savings accounts. I at least want the US TBILL rate to hold my cash. If the Thai government doesn't even allow something like that. Then Ian has no choice.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

As I said or a monthly income of more than $2,100CAD. To get the visa he currently uses he needs to show 60,000baht per month income which is more than $2,100CAD.
    Bacon likes this.

I wouldn't keep all my money in a bank either so I still think Ian is on the right track. What he's doing has worked for him for years.

I get Chilli's point, but given how many people are doing this, enforcing it IS a big problem and will most likely result in plenty of notice if they decide to. Yes, anything could happen and yes, it's a calculated risk on his part, but given Ian's age and circumstances it's not something I'd be overly concerned with. Still doesn't hurt to be well informed though and know your options.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    As I said or a monthly income of more than $2,100CAD. To get the visa he currently uses he needs to show 60,000baht per month income which is more than $2,100CAD.
    Fair enough, so easy enough as you mentioned. Depends on what he's "investing" in as well. As long as it's not all sorts of dodgy stuff then he can report the income. Ian?
    Last edited by Bacon; 12th March 2019 at 14:00.

Fair enough, so easy enough as you mentioned. Depends on what he's "investing" in as well. As long as it's not all sorts of dodgy stuff then he can report the income. Ian?
    Well, I've "invested" in some pretty dodgy Thai women that didn't turn out as expected. 5555

I have the monthly income covered nicely. All my financial investments are with the reputable firm: Edward Jones.

Then you can provide income statements and sort yourself out with a visa that takes the hassle out of the Journeys for you as well. Should you choose!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    The amount required is actually 65,000 baht per month for an O-A based on monthly income.
    I should add ''currently" as who knows what edict will be passed down tomorrow...

I use the 800k method , and rightly or wrongly , most of us who did so saw those using the 65k a month avenue as 'poorer' , mainly because the folk who did that were on pensions and 'we' werent and , assumably , had capital reserves.
    But that method is now far more attractive.
    Now 65k x 12 months doesnt even make 800 k , it equates to 780k.
    Go figure...

But somebody in the Thai government has decided that those who lodge 800k in a Thai bank - mostly at zero interest , rather than be 'hand to mouth' and spend their monthly stipend ( or those saw sense in never bringing more cash in Thailand than the minimum they were required to spend ) , must lodge the 800k for 5 months rather than the 3 month as before.
    Ok.
    But the odd part is that , of that 800k , 400 HUNDRED THOUSAND BAHT , must now , simply rest in a Thai bank... forever ( if you wish to stay in Thailand ).
    This has nothing to do with Insurance cases , because if you Ever go under 400k , you are OUT.

So -
    Before I had to keep 800k for 3 months , so I added on 300k living money for that period , to the see thru the seasoning of the 800k ( for the rest of the year ) and that totalled 1.1 million baht a year expenses ( a tad more than I spend - 100k or so for emergencies , holidays etc ) That now totals $50k aud a year , calculated at 22 baht on the $1 aud.

But soon I will need 800k untouched for 5 months ( so I will add on 500k to live on ) , totalling 1.3 million , but .... there is more ... THEN I also need another 400k that I have to leave in a Thai Bank pretty much forever...
    So the Total requirement for the coming year for me is now 1.7 million baht or $77, 272 for the coming "Extension of Retirement Visa ".

I calculate a loss of interest earnings of around $6000 aud on the lot , or 130,000 baht - or a new Honda Forza I could buy . Not any sort of fortune ... but certainly a good holiday ..

So , if Im being careful with my money , I suppose its time to go home and set up an income stream of 65,000 baht a month.

Either that or let my O-A lapse and get a new one , since I can get almost 2 years out of a new O-A ( approved ) application.

Ive been too-ing and fro-ing for 2 months ... but now purchased tickets to go home and set up my Super to send me 75k baht a month.

Its just so stupid...
    If bankers were sitting on the panel that designed the above - well now they wont get many thousands of punters like me leaving 800k in the bank at no interest for a year.
    And the Thai Government will get drip feeding expats as 'customers'.
    I will get my interest , and they will get their 500 baht transaction fee each month...

But stand bye !
    The rules may well change again just after we all go and modify our income streams.
    This is Thailand .
    Rivo, Ian Forbes and sidvicious like this.

Platinum
    ^ Or many will just move somewhere else!!
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    ^ Or many will just move somewhere else!!
    Exactly. Dean hasn't exactly been the terrible mongering expat living of the avails of what Thailand gives him for free... you know, the person that M26 accuses me of being.

There are thousands of expats like Dean in Thailand. Most have a steady lady, even if they might not be married. Marriage isn't cracked up to be what some try to make it anyway. People like Dean contribute far more to the true Thai economy than the wealthy tourists who stay in high ended accommodation, and where their money goes into the pockets of the super wealthy Thais, and Chinese-Thais. That money does not "trickle down" to the average Thai with a "Mom and Pop" business.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Exactly. Dean hasn't exactly been the terrible mongering expat living of the avails of what Thailand gives him for free... you know, the person that M26 accuses me of being.

There are thousands of expats like Dean in Thailand. Most have a steady lady, even if they might not be married. Marriage isn't cracked up to be what some try to make it anyway. People like Dean contribute far more to the true Thai economy than the wealthy tourists who stay in high ended accommodation, and where their money goes into the pockets of the super wealthy Thais, and Chinese-Thais. That money does not "trickle down" to the average Thai with a "Mom and Pop" business.
    1st off, did I ever mention any sort of mongering? I love how people keep putting words in my mouth
    Now mongering, many have talked about what I have contributed to Thailand..........when I never mentioned that also

As for staying in high end accommodation and does not trickle down to the average Thai
    That is almost as dumb as Rak saying I stay in "American hotels" when he obviously has zero understanding of hotel franchises and most likely, the vast majority of those hotels are locally owned

But back to your stupid comment............. It doesn't trickle down to the 100's of Thai employees that work in those hotels?

Is there anywhere in the world as cheap to live for the same standard of living as Thailand?

Are Vietnam and Cambodia comparable living standards... if not... where is? Does anywhere offer as good a bang for your buck? Maybe rural South Island NZ... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Is there anywhere in the world as cheap to live for the same standard of living as Thailand?

Are Vietnam and Cambodia comparable living standards... if not... where is? Does anywhere offer as good a bang for your buck? Maybe rural South Island NZ... 55
    It depends on your definition of standard of living

Just overall standing of living, infrastructure, etc.. it has to be up there as one of the more affordable places with a very good standard of living

But again, it depends on your lifestyle
    I looked at #'s and it wouldn't be that much cheaper, or cheaper at all, to live the lifestyle I live in Vancouver in Thailand
    Moderate accommodation is very affordable and also can be very nice

But the higher end accomodations aren't really any cheaper than in Vancouver
    And if you were comparing them............I haven't seen many places in Thailand with fixtures and build anyone near the quality you have at home

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    It depends on your definition of standard of living

Just overall standing of living, infrastructure, etc.. it has to be up there as one of the more affordable places with a very good standard of living

But again, it depends on your lifestyle
    I looked at #'s and it wouldn't be that much cheaper, or cheaper at all, to live the lifestyle I live in Vancouver in Thailand
    Moderate accommodation is very affordable and also can be very nice

But the higher end accomodations aren't really any cheaper than in Vancouver
    And if you were comparing them............I haven't seen many places in Thailand with fixtures and build anyone near the quality you have at home
    Yeah I guess I am thinking the lower end... 55

But it's still decent. Just thinking of Nel's situation in Samui. Where else in the world could he live like that with access to nice beaches and good amenities you need to survive?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Quarky View Post
    Yeah I guess I am thinking the lower end... 55

But it's still decent. Just thinking of Nel's situation in Samui. Where else in the world could he live like that with access to nice beaches and good amenities you need to survive?
    yes Thailand is fantastic for what I would call "moderate" accommodation
    And that certainly doesn't mean they are shabby........some very nice places

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    The amount required is actually 65,000 baht per month for an O-A based on monthly income.
    I should add ''currently" as who knows what edict will be passed down tomorrow...
    This is the amount required to extend an "O-A" visa, the amount I quoted is for applying for one in Canada, the amounts also change depending on which country you are applying for the "O-A" in.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    In my opinion...The PI, Cambodia and Vietnam are all considerably less expensive for the average expat to live in than Thailand these days..I have been to all many times and I still choose to live here (Samui)..it just has the best all round living conditions for me...the cost of living is only one factor in this..its the quality of life I am after rather than just a cheap existence...
    Quarky, kaptainrob, Rivo and 2 others like this.

Moving is not a great option for extapts with family and roots. Single blokes yeah, much easier.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast