Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: delete this old crap pleeeeese

Cadet Bronze

delete this old crap pleeeeese

it's no longer relative--for a start the prozzys charge twiceas mutch --and the uk pound is going down the shitter ---it's no longer a cheap place unless your minted and want to hire a mottelly old minge for to spunk in
    Last edited by oldfella; 11th January 2019 at 12:57.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Still cheap as feck...

Maybe if you'd worked a little harder?
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Still cheap as feck...

Maybe if you'd worked a little harder?
    I was not sure what he was on about. I thought he wanted some old thread removed.

The Canadian dollar is in the toilet as well. It's about 23 baht to the dollar when not long ago it was about 32 baht to the dollar. That is about a 1/4 to 1/3 drop in exchange. I just have to budget a bit tighter. Fortunately, my wants have diminished as well.

^ I wasn't sure either. We do have many threads that are out of date though, and I recently unstickied some. So agree about old content, but not so much with the doom and gloom. I understand retirement is a different kettle of minges though.
    Chob and Ian Forbes like this.

Cadet
    I dont think everyones currency is in the toilet, the Thai Baht is getting stronger every year I dont profess to know to much about Thailand but I do know half the worlds crew cab utes are built there they are no longer a 3rd world country they are newly Industrialised country from Wikipedia
    "Thailand is a newly industrialized country. Its economy is heavily export-dependent, with exports accounting for more than two-thirds of its gross domestic product (GDP). In 2017, according to the IMF, Thailand had a GDP of 15.450 trillion baht (US$455 billion), the 8th largest economy of Asia.[26] Thailand has a headline inflation rate of 3.02 percent[7] and an account surplus of 0.7 percent of the country's GDP.[27] The Thai economy is expected to post 4.1% growth in 2018.[28] Its currency, the Thai Baht, also ranked as the tenth most frequently used world payment currency in 2017.[29]"

I would like to know how much the nightlife industry must pull in I am not just talking about the clubs and beer bars but also payments from guys all around the world to their sweet hearts in Thailand 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by joca View Post
    I dont think everyones currency is in the toilet, the Thai Baht is getting stronger every year I dont profess to know to much about Thailand but I do know half the worlds crew cab utes are built there they are no longer a 3rd world country they are newly Industrialised country from Wikipedia
    "Thailand is a newly industrialized country. Its economy is heavily export-dependent, with exports accounting for more than two-thirds of its gross domestic product (GDP). In 2017, according to the IMF, Thailand had a GDP of 15.450 trillion baht (US$455 billion), the 8th largest economy of Asia.[26] Thailand has a headline inflation rate of 3.02 percent[7] and an account surplus of 0.7 percent of the country's GDP.[27] The Thai economy is expected to post 4.1% growth in 2018.[28] Its currency, the Thai Baht, also ranked as the tenth most frequently used world payment currency in 2017.[29]"

I would like to know how much the nightlife industry must pull in I am not just talking about the clubs and beer bars but also payments from guys all around the world to their sweet hearts in Thailand 5555
    Good post, Joca. I have seen with my own eyes the slow changes in Thailand for the better as a whole. I have also witnessed the slow fall in the P4P scene. There are not nearly as many punters as there were 10 years ago when all the bars were full. There are little "spurts" during high season and then it fades away.

I was just talking to a friendly waitress at the UN Irish pub about the changes. She has a small business in nearby Hang Dong, but she has to supplement it with being a waitress so she can pay the rent. But, she also has 2 daughters in university that she helps. That tells me that she has her head in the right place and looking forward for her children's future.

As a former punter in Thailand, I always hoped the best for the countries people... even though i knew it was going to ease my kind onto the back burner and cost us more.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Whilst Thailand officially has a managed-float exchange rate system....wherein the value of the baht is allowed to move in line with economic fundamentals...The BOT (The Bank of Thailand) regularly intervenes in the market to prevent excessive volatility and achieve economic policy targets that include preventing the baht from growing too strong or too weak against a basket of other currencies, including those of many of Thailand’s main trading partners....this is especially true with the $US....so much so that many traders believe there is an unofficial "pegging" of the TB to the $US.....so one could possibly argue that the strength in the TB is really just a reflection of a strong $US atm if this is the case

This system was largely adopted after the Asian Monetary Crisis, which saw loads of OS currency speculators trade down the value of many of the Asian Currencies..with disastrous effect...including the TB...

Of course since the military took over in a coup more than 4 years ago now, a big part of their agenda has been to maintain a steady currency (TB) to promote stability and order...it will be interesting to see what fluctuations, if any, come out of the forthcoming general election
    Last edited by bacwaan; 11th January 2019 at 20:15.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Whilst Thailand officially has a managed-float exchange rate system....wherein the value of the baht is allowed to move in line with economic fundamentals...The BOT (The Bank of Thailand) regularly intervenes in the market to prevent excessive volatility and achieve economic policy targets that include preventing the baht from growing too strong or too weak against a basket of other currencies, including those of many of Thailand’s main trading partners....this is especially true with the $US....so much so that many traders believe there is an unofficial "pegging" of the TB to the $US.....so one could possibly argue that the strength in the TB is really just a reflection of a strong $US atm if this is the case

This system was largely adopted after the Asian Monetary Crisis, which saw loads of OS currency speculators trade down the value of many of the Asian Currencies..with disastrous effect...including the TB...

Of course since the military took over in a coup more than 4 years ago now, a big part of their agenda has been to maintain a steady currency (TB) to promote stability and order...it will be interesting to see what fluctuations, if any, come out of the forthcoming general election
    Does this classify as currency manipulation? Pegging basically falls into the same category as well yeah?

Does this classify as currency manipulation? Pegging basically falls into the same category as well yeah?
    555..Oh, I would never suggest that...it's merely rumours from those pesky international currency traders... 555
    Ian Forbes and Bacon like this.

I think one popular mechanism is just buying and dumping other currencies in bulk using your own, which causes it's value to go up and down. I know that's what China does and it works. And if you stick to trading one single currency, then you're pegging your own against that one. Happy to be corrected and as I know SFA about macroeconomics, but that's my understanding.

Back in the Keating + Howard days AUS FED-RES used to trade $AUS heavily in the market to stabalise it...sell heavily when it was strong and buy heavily when it was dropping...didn't always work but at times they made a lot of money..until they didn't 55
    justcruzing1 and Bacon like this.

^ We should go back to dodgy practices. Honesty is obviously the worst policy.

Get the AUD back to 30 THB.
    Quarky, 1080 and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    In terms of the AUD, the RBA is the smart money in the market. The same cannot be said for all reserve banks as they don't all have genuinely independent charters.

Below is an article regarding their track record:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-...rofit/10287562

However, you always need to be mindful of point 2 and 3 below, yet generally not in conflict with 1.

... is the duty of the Reserve Bank Board, within the limits of its powers, to ensure that the monetary and banking policy of the Bank is directed to the greatest advantage of the people of Australia and that the powers of the Bank … are exercised in such a manner as, in the opinion of the Reserve Bank Board, will best contribute to:
    1. The stability of the currency of Australia;
    2. The maintenance of full employment in Australia; and
    3. The economic prosperity and welfare of the people of Australia.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

^ We should go back to dodgy practices. Honesty is obviously the worst policy.

Get the AUD back to 30 THB.
    I remember when the THB WAS 34 to the AUD, today it is THB 22,42 makes me want to cry 555555
    Cheers

Scottie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ when was that?
    I've only got as high as high 32s the last 13 years or so.
    Tingtong likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    I can remember it being between 3100-3200 on my 1st ever trip in 2002, as Scottie said, you would be lucky to get 2300 at present.

I noticed the difference a lot last time (about a year ago).
    I went into the Irish Times in Patong and bought 3 pints of Guiness, and had to stump up just over 1000baht for the 3.
    When I thought about it later, that equated to about $12-13AUD per pint. Mental not made to myself, not to drink pints of Guiness, unless they are on 2 for 1 happy hour lists.
    I just checked their website and prices are 320 baht plus taxes per pint at present

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    I can remember it being between 3100-3200 on my 1st ever trip in 2002, as Scottie said, you would be lucky to get 2300 at present.

I noticed the difference a lot last time (about a year ago).
    I went into the Irish Times in Patong and bought 3 pints of Guiness, and had to stump up just over 1000baht for the 3.
    When I thought about it later, that equated to about $12-13AUD per pint. Mental not made to myself, not to drink pints of Guiness, unless they are on 2 for 1 happy hour lists.
    I just checked their website and prices are 320 baht plus taxes per pint at present
    My mantra in Thailand is I won't buy anything that is way more expensive in Thailand than it is in Canada

So I don't drink wine
    I'm not going to pay 320baht for a pint of Guiness

I don't mind spending money that is deemed expensive for Thailand but I'm not going to overpay when I can have better at home for cheaper
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    My mantra in Thailand is I won't buy anything that is way more expensive in Thailand than it is in Canada

So I don't drink wine
    I'm not going to pay 320baht for a pint of Guiness

I don't mind spending money that is deemed expensive for Thailand but I'm not going to overpay when I can have better at home for cheaper
    I do not normally either, but in this case, a couple of people had helped me out with some things I needed doing, and that was what they decided they wanted as payment (a trip to the Irish Times and some Guiness). Thank god that 1 pint filled them up, and could not drink anymore 555
    I do not know what you pay for Guiness in Canada, but most pubs in my area in Perth and most of the city pubs here, charge $10-12 for a pint (some even more).

Wine I have found over the last few years is a bit more reasonable at the lower end of the wines, but really good wines are still out of the question.
    I have drunk some of the Chilean reds here in Australia, and they are not to bad. I have had similar from the Wine Connection that are fine to drink when you are having a meal.
    I normally take a couple of bottles of Red with me when I travel, so that takes some of the pain out of buying to much of it in Thailand.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    I do not normally either, but in this case, a couple of people had helped me out with some things I needed doing, and that was what they decided they wanted as payment (a trip to the Irish Times and some Guiness). Thank god that 1 pint filled them up, and could not drink anymore 555
    I do not know what you pay for Guiness in Canada, but most pubs in my area in Perth and most of the city pubs here, charge $10-12 for a pint (some even more).

Wine I have found over the last few years is a bit more reasonable at the lower end of the wines, but really good wines are still out of the question.
    I have drunk some of the Chilean reds here in Australia, and they are not to bad. I have had similar from the Wine Connection that are fine to drink when you are having a meal.
    I normally take a couple of bottles of Red with me when I travel, so that takes some of the pain out of buying to much of it in Thailand.
    My crazy TG that lived with me for a bit in Patong used to go off on her own to the Irish Pub

"I go drink Brown Beer" 5555

I don't drink Guiness much but we can get it for 7-8cad most times

In Samet the restaurants on the beach were surprising cheap
    I think because do many Asian and Thai customers

A big bottle of Chang was I think 150baht maybe even cheaper
    No more than that

M26. On the last 2 trips I have had over there, I noticed that the Irish Times must be the place for TG's to be seen when they go out for lunch dates there, that is all I could put it down to.
    True to form, most of the girls were drinking pints of Guiness, so from what you said about you Ex TG, it must have been the in place for a lot longer than I had realised.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast