Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Buying Mobile Phones in Thailand

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Buying Mobile Phones in Thailand

Ok so at 4am this morning I get a call from Noy's mum's phone. I call it back and Noy answered blubbering and crying, "A fcuking ladyboy stole my phone". She is learning English very quickly 555. Anyway I called her back again this morning and she said she had not slept as she just wanted her phone back, anyone would think he sister died or something...

Well I know she has no money so I am going to buy her a Phone once I get to BKK as she will need it to call home when over here. Any Idea at where I can buy a Genuine Nokia Phone from for a decent price? She had a Nokia C7 so thought I would get her the same one again. MBK a good place or should I stick to something small outside of the Shopping complexes?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    We bought one in Panthip (computer place) for a good price, we then went to MBK and when we asked how much the same one was they were willing to do it cheaper than what we paid... MBK phone floor is huge and they are willing to barter with you.... It's probably the only thing I would buy there besides food!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Mrs W said hard if lose phone.She said that if she still has phone ID card can go to police and they can track.
    I asked her where she would go buy.
    She said if Nokia or any phone for that matter just go to Carefour or Big C centres many sellers there and they will all negotiate.
    If Sukumvit, end of soi 26 on Rama 4.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I doubt you will find a cheaper phone than in MBK, there must be 1000 shops that all sell phones, we bought one last trip and their price varied a fair bit.

My mate bought the Nokia phone for himself and the deal clincher was a kiss on the cheek from the lovely young girl at the shop, I got to take that picture with the new phone, worked great 5555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Yes MBK is best in BKK, a huge selection of new and old models, although if you want the latest model it's probably no dearer at the Nokia shop. Carrefour/BigC (JungCeylon) have a special on atm, ~600 baht for a basic phone and there were several makes to choose from.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

thanks guys will give soi 26 a go and have a look around and will also be heading the MBK so will look around and see what i can find. Are there any 'copy' scams I should keep my eye out for? Genuine is always better IMO.

As I am calling Noy's mum phone to talk to her any one got any idea how I can say "Hello(Sawadee Krup). Can I please speak to Noy" in Thai/Issan? The mum cannot speak any English and she generally answers the phone and we have that awkward silent moment 555

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    As I am calling Noy's mum phone to talk to her any one got any idea how I can say "Hello(Sawadee Krup). Can I please speak to Noy" in Thai/Issan? The mum cannot speak any English and she generally answers the phone and we have that awkward silent moment 555
    Even if you learn to say "Can I please speak to Noy", you'll still have the "silent moment. Noy's Mum will either answer "Please wait while I get her." Or " Sorry, she's not here." You won't know which one she's said. There'll be silence until Noy answers or Mum gets sick of the silence and hangs up thinking "Stupid farang, I told him Noy isn't here. Why he don't hang up?"

I have this problem every time I call a friend in Japan. None of her other family members speak English and if one of them answer I just say her name and wait until either she comes to the phone or the family member hangs up. It's awkward but not much can be done about it.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Even if you learn to say "Can I please speak to Noy", you'll still have the "silent moment. Noy's Mum will either answer "Please wait while I get her." Or " Sorry, she's not here." You won't know which one she's said. There'll be silence until Noy answers or Mum gets sick of the silence and hangs up thinking "Stupid farang, I told him Noy isn't here. Why he don't hang up?"

I have this problem every time I call a friend in Japan. None of her other family members speak English and if one of them answer I just say her name and wait until either she comes to the phone or the family member hangs up. It's awkward but not much can be done about it.
    Have the same issue from time to time Mrs W understands bits of my crapppy thai but no one else seems to.....

We met a falang at a market today who has been going to LOS for the last 27yrs... he seemed to speak fluent Thai, but Thip had to ask (on more than on occasion) what he was saying as his tones were wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post

Totally understand, where you are coming from and think I have a lot more to learn then just the original sentence. I may have to have a chat to my teacher...

Bought one of the Carrefour/BigC specials today as a spare, a Nokia C1 for 820 baht. $69 in Aus. CLICKY
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

link didn't work but is that the Dual Sim Nokia? I was thinking about getting one for myself

Yes Dual sim. Search 'DSE Nokia C1' for specs. Comes with charger and headset.
    Cheers, Rob.

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Don't know about the Nokia, but that is one magical avatar Rob. Does she have a sister!

Quote Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
    Don't know about the Nokia, but that is one magical avatar Rob. Does she have a sister!
    Ah a TG who likes girls... mmmm... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    link didn't work but is that the Dual Sim Nokia? I was thinking about getting one for myself
    The link will work if you replace the '****' in the URL with 'D I C K' . as in Duck Smuth electronics.

Bloody silly forum software censorship.

Try THIS link
    Last edited by Norabunga; 26th May 2011 at 08:20. Reason: to try to circumvent 'nanny' software

Thanks for that I did not think it would sensor a link, I guess I was wrong. I have had a look into that phone as i needed a second phone for my Lyca Sim. I was about to buy it but then a guy at my work just gave me his old phone so did not need a new one. I do like the idea of a dual sim phone though.

Ok I brought a New Nokia C7 from MBK and got a good price for it, 9000B. They handed over the box unwrapped and everything looked great. Opened up the phone and everything looked good from what I knew. They phone worked well but towards the end of the trip the camera stopped working, then when we got to Australia started to use a 3G sim card (which normally uses a lot more battery). Then the batery would be lucky to last a day (with no calls or even using it0 In LOS she would get 5 days without a charge. Last night I decided to do a firmware upgrade to try and fix the camera issue. connected to the computer correctly but after installing the existing firmware the phone will not work now. I turn it on and all i get is a white screen that cannot be switched off unless the battery is pulled.

Have I brought a fake? Anyone had similar issues and know how to fix it (if it is not a fake). I will add, looks totally genuine and works as a genuine one would.

go to Dandy Market on a saturday or wednesday... there are a couple of good mobile phone guys there that will fix it