Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Changone

Thread: In loving memory of Sarah Carter........a Thailand HATE site !!!!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

In loving memory of Sarah Carter........a Thailand HATE site !!!!

Thailand holiday fatalities & serious illness cases | Sarah Carter New Zealand

Not how I would honour the memory of a loved one........
    Life is the unexpected ...

Thai-Spy
    It's hard to see how a reasonable person could equate the bringing to light of some negative, lesser known but presumably factual stories with hate. Thailand Inc. has a very slick marketing machine at work via the TAT and other authorities, and they are very good at spin, manipulating statistics and churning out glossy brochures and natty websites all of which give an overly-positive impression of Thailand. It's entirely appropriate that the other side of the story get an airing as well, especially as regards the Thai propensity to sweep things under the rug, shift blame and evade responsibility.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    More Aussies die on holidays in NZ than any other country in the world.... If you looked at every known death there i'm sure death by many different toxins has occurred.... any young person who dies is a tradgedy and when travelling in a 3rd world country the chances increase!

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    More Aussies die on holidays in NZ than any other country in the world.... If you looked at every known death there i'm sure death by many different toxins has occurred.... any young person who dies is a tradgedy and when travelling in a 3rd world country the chances increase!
    I agree ... I remember a few years back when a few Canadians died in Hawaii in a short stretch of time. One fell off his balcony drunk, one was killed during a break and enter, and one poor guy was randomly shot on the beach where he was illegally backpacking and tenting. The local Vancouver paper ran big frontpage headlines titled something like "Danger in Paradise: Are you putting your life at risk going to Hawaii?" Utter crap, considering the tens of thousands who die on North American highways every year, and considering the hundreds of thousands ... possibly millions ... who vacation in Hawaii without a mishap.

Some people just cannot accept tragedy as tragedy and move on, and of course the news people love to sensationalize, its how they make a living.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    There are a million ways to die and we all wish to live long and happy lives.
    When an old person dies we celebrate their life and achievements.
    But when a young person dies we are sad and grieve the loss of what could have been.

Death comes to us all in time and nobody can avoid their fate so its useless to try to memorialize a lost loved one by laying blame couched in terms of warning to others in this way.

There is only one way to live and that is to live every day as if it were your last.

I think, no wait..., I know that most of the board members here live by that creed, because Thailand has a way of bringing you to that place.

One of my all time favorites..

The Road to Samarra

A soldier in ancient Basra in Mesopotamia, who was fearful, went to the king and said to him: "My lord, save me, help me flee from here. I was in the marketplace and I met Death all dressed in black who eyed me with a deadly look. Lend me your royal steed so I can hasten to Samarra which is far from here. I fear for my life if I stay in the city." The king granted his wish. Later the king met Death in the street and said to him: "My soldier was terrified; he told me he met you and you looked at him very strangely." "Oh no," Death replied, "my look was only one of astonishment, because I was asking myself how this man would get to Samarra, which is so far from here, because I am waiting for him there tonight."

PatongBeachBoy likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Thai-Spy View Post
    It's hard to see how a reasonable person could equate the bringing to light of some negative, lesser known but presumably factual stories with hate. Thailand Inc. has a very slick marketing machine at work via the TAT and other authorities, and they are very good at spin, manipulating statistics and churning out glossy brochures and natty websites all of which give an overly-positive impression of Thailand. It's entirely appropriate that the other side of the story get an airing as well, especially as regards the Thai propensity to sweep things under the rug, shift blame and evade responsibility.
    "Dad and I went to hollywood, as I told him it was a good place, how wrong was I. we sat down and ordered a round of drinks, I went for a dance, as I was dancing 3 security surrounded my dad, he asked had he done something wrong, they grabbed him and were pushing him towards a back exit, I then saw them grab him in a choke hold, and there were now five security , they were using elbows , knees and punching him, I came to help and 4 more security came over , they proceeded to bash us all the way down the stairs into the street, the bashing was so severe we spent the next 5 days in bangkok local hospital, the guards reeked of alcohol and we didnt resist leaving,this was our 2nd trip to phuket this year and probably our last, no wonder tourists are leaving in droves.........SHAME SHAME SHAME"

Take a look around that site and apply your "reasonable man" standards to the content. You will see that under the main story of the Sarah Carter tragedy it is becoming a gathering point for the sort of stories detailed above...."presumably factual"? We'll agree to disagee on that.

Read through the growing list of comments attached to the main SC story......lots of blind negativity and downright falsehoods there ....."reasonable"? No, just mostly one-sided rants against perceived wrongs in Thailand.

Who would want this hate mail collection centre as a memorial to a loved one?

Enjoy.

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Every country has its issues and cover ups. Anyone heard of weapons of mass destruction!

Agree that I wouldn't want a hate site as a memorial for my child, but unless you go through it, it is hard to know how you would act.

BTW, I thought it was resolved that it was an over-use of pesticides, or is it that the govt/authorities haven't accepted this conclusion?

Thai-Spy
    Stories of individuals with apparently little to gain, financially or otherwise, versus the shallow, commercially-driven glossing over of the ugly underside of a troubled country and culture? Have to go with the little guy on this versus parroting the party line.

Perceived wrongs? When a famous hospital kills a family member and won't take responsibility for numerous errors in medical judgment? Not perceived; we consulted on such a case (not on the site in question). The innumerable jet-ski scams that go on with police connivance? The need to offer cops money to do their jobs, and the subsequent use of money power as a substitute for justice because it's the only way the cops can get a cut? We've seen it too often. Nothing perceived about it, abuse of authority and the love of the cover-up is rife throughout Thai society and Thai culture.

Shining a light on such wretchedness -- whether in hopes of correcting it or at least warning others that they are entering something other than a safe and squeaky-clean Disneyland -- seems a fine way to memorialize a loved one lost to it.

Quote Originally Posted by contrarian View Post
    Every country has its issues and cover ups. Anyone heard of weapons of mass destruction!

Agree that I wouldn't want a hate site as a memorial for my child, but unless you go through it, it is hard to know how you would act.

BTW, I thought it was resolved that it was an over-use of pesticides, or is it that the govt/authorities haven't accepted this conclusion?
    I can understand the motivation for setting up the site - that desire to make the tragedy of her death "count" for something, to gain some sense of control over something that you had no prior say in.......as therapy for the relatives it may do some good....but that's all the good it will do.

Pesticides seems the likely culprit..... (unless you agree with the Thai serial killer theory being touted by at least one poster on the site itself.)

Sad to look at the photos of the girls - they were clearly having a great time in Thailand before becoming ill. Life hangs by a thread for us all.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I can understand the motivation for setting up the site - that desire to make the tragedy of her death "count" for something, to gain some sense of control over something that you had no prior say in.......as therapy for the relatives it may do some good....but that's all the good it will do.

Pesticides seems the likely culprit..... (unless you agree with the Thai serial killer theory being touted by at least one poster on the site itself.)

Sad to look at the photos of the girls - they were clearly having a great time in Thailand before becoming ill. Life hangs by a thread for us all.

Enjoy.
    I only spent a minute on the site to get a flavour for what it was about and the message...too morbid for me.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

I remember starting a thread about similar subject matter as above highlighted................Now how did that end again.55555555
    Sorry contrarian a in joke.5555
    But i might start that thread here was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai-Spy View Post
    Stories of individuals with apparently little to gain, financially or otherwise, versus the shallow, commercially-driven glossing over of the ugly underside of a troubled country and culture? Have to go with the little guy on this versus parroting the party line.

Perceived wrongs? When a famous hospital kills a family member and won't take responsibility for numerous errors in medical judgment? Not perceived; we consulted on such a case (not on the site in question). The innumerable jet-ski scams that go on with police connivance? The need to offer cops money to do their jobs, and the subsequent use of money power as a substitute for justice because it's the only way the cops can get a cut? We've seen it too often. Nothing perceived about it, abuse of authority and the love of the cover-up is rife throughout Thai society and Thai culture.

Shining a light on such wretchedness -- whether in hopes of correcting it or at least warning others that they are entering something other than a safe and squeaky-clean Disneyland -- seems a fine way to memorialize a loved one lost to it.
    Well, there it is....some broad sweeping statements and emotive language, the age-old chestnut of bent coppers and a rousing three cheers for the underdog for having a go.

Thank goodness you didn't add a rousing soundtrack or I may have thrown up over my keyboard.

Thailandtraveltragedies.com is a website that is attracting rants from people the likes of which Sarah Carter and other decent young women normally cross the road to avoid. Nothing more.

"Shining a light on such wretchedness".....oh please

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    I remember starting a thread about similar subject matter as above highlighted................Now how did that end again.55555555
    There you go Yank bashing again!!!! 555

Should I go searching for a thread of mass destruction wabbits? Is it worth the read?

Should I go searching for a thread of mass destruction wabbits? Is it worth the read?
    It was removed long ago on another forum

Will start it again as it was what started this forum in its way and is interesting stuff.

Will start it again as it was what started this forum in its way and is interesting stuff.
    Are you referring to the Laos thread?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Are you referring to the Laos thread?
    Yes what do you think rev it up again?