Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Where to get a sim card

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar

Where to get a sim card

I don't think there is a thread like this on here that I've seen, so I'll just ask anyway.

I'm getting my smart phone unlocked before my trip in July, and want to pick up a sim card for LOS. Anyone know a good place to do this? Unfortunately, my plane gets into BKK at around 1am, so not really a good time to be hunting around the airport. But my hotel is right near Asoke Skytrain Station, so I'd like to pick something up after waking up.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Just go to any 7/11 they sell them, and recharges as well.

As JC said, 7/11 is easiest.

Also, TrueMove have a big shop/office + coffee shop almost under Siam BTS station on the southern side opposite Siam/Paragon complex. With True you can get a promo SIM (also available FREE from kiosks at all airports) which gives very cheap local and International calls but has a 30 day expiry if no longer used.

You would otherwise pay ~ 299Bt for either a standard SIM or an INTER SIM, they come with 25 Bt credit and you buy recharges as required. I have a Dual SIM phone and use SIM1 for local calls and SIM2 for International. The difference with INTER SIM is 1 Bt per minute calls to Aus/NZ/USA etc versus ~ 12 Bt for standard SIM.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    They are usually at the airport as well VG, look for the pretty girls advertising. I use Truemove and they seem good, very cheap, available any 7/11. Last trip to Bangkok I went and sat at the bar opposite our hotel waiting for my mate to come down, one of the bargirls asked me what you do know, i said after drink I get sim card, she said give me 200baht I do for you so off she went and came back with truemove sim in about 5mins, she even put it in my phone for me 555

Did cost me a lady drink though 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Thai-Spy
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    As JC said, 7/11 is easiest.

You would otherwise pay ~ 299Bt for either a standard SIM or an INTER SIM, they come with 25 Bt credit and you buy recharges as required. I have a Dual SIM phone and use SIM1 for local calls and SIM2 for International. The difference with INTER SIM is 1 Bt per minute calls to Aus/NZ/USA etc versus ~ 12 Bt for standard SIM.
    No offense, but they must have seen you coming. The True InterSIM has never cost more than 99 baht and we've bought several.

OP & all, there's a decent small phone shop on the top level of Robinson Department Store at Sukhumvit Soi 19. It's in the corner near sporting goods.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I used 1 2 call, can't be sure but I think it cost 110bt and had 100bt charge on it. Got it at 7/11.

So the promo sim-cards that are handed out free at the airport expire in a month? So if I'm only there for 3 weeks, would that be all I'll need? And just to make sure, does a sim-card I pick up in Bangkok still work when I'm up north in Chiang Mai? Newbie questions perhaps, but I've never unlocked my phone before or swapped sim cards.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

The TrueMove FREE SIM's expire in 30days if NOT USED, (after 1st use), so ok for you. Yes, all SIM's work throughout Thailand.

Make sure your phone is UN-locked or grab a 600 Baht special at BigC and use that.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Mrs M.
    I don't think there is a thread like this on here that I've seen, so I'll just ask anyway.

I'm getting my smart phone unlocked before my trip in July, and want to pick up a sim card for LOS. Anyone know a good place to do this? Unfortunately, my plane gets into BKK at around 1am, so not really a good time to be hunting around the airport. But my hotel is right near Asoke Skytrain Station, so I'd like to pick something up after waking up.[/QUOTE]

Seven Eleven 7eleven.jpg[QUOTE=vanguy77;11224] is a tourist best friend, (even we are not tourist they are our best friend too) We were using Dtac before and they give you very long time when you recharge, ours still last another year even we do not recharge anymore.

But now we got TRUE from the last trip as I hear that its cheaper than the last one we used.

P.S. If you want some good food, real Thai taste if you want to try/ I garantee on this. I love them.

And they have quite a several choices for you, if you want to know that they are too spicy for you or not. I recommend ask the staff. They should be able to tell you. ^_^ I think.

7/11 have their frozen food available and they even heat them up for you in a microwave. And they cost ~35-49 bath ~less than AUD2.00.
    Its quick and easy, and work great if do not feel like sitting down anywhere, just get it and go back to your hotel with a few cans of beer ^_^. How is that for a start? ^_&

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    So the promo sim-cards that are handed out free at the airport expire in a month? So if I'm only there for 3 weeks, would that be all I'll need? And just to make sure, does a sim-card I pick up in Bangkok still work when I'm up north in Chiang Mai? Newbie questions perhaps, but I've never unlocked my phone before or swapped sim cards.
    Phone card works anywhere in Thailand, providing there is service 555

I just use my cheap Aus($30) unlocked phone in LOS, leave your expensive phone at home IMO
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Phone card works anywhere in Thailand, providing there is service 555

I just use my cheap Aus($30) unlocked phone in LOS, leave your expensive phone at home IMO
    Might be a good idea, Rivo. I have to pay $50 CAN here to get my phone unlocked, so it might be cheaper to just buy a cheap phone and sim card while I'm there. I have to bring my "expensive" phone tho, as its got all my Android apps, like "LearnThai" on it. I'm thinking I will be using the voice feature on "LearnThai" quite a bit while I'm there.
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs M. View Post

I'm getting my smart phone unlocked before my trip in July, and want to pick up a sim card for LOS. Anyone know a good place to do this? Unfortunately, my plane gets into BKK at around 1am, so not really a good time to be hunting around the airport. But my hotel is right near Asoke Skytrain Station, so I'd like to pick something up after waking up.
    Seven Eleven 7eleven.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    is a tourist best friend, (even we are not tourist they are our best friend too) We were using Dtac before and they give you very long time when you recharge, ours still last another year even we do not recharge anymore.

But now we got TRUE from the last trip as I hear that its cheaper than the last one we used.

P.S. If you want some good food, real Thai taste if you want to try/ I garantee on this. I love them.

And they have quite a several choices for you, if you want to know that they are too spicy for you or not. I recommend ask the staff. They should be able to tell you. ^_^ I think.

7/11 have their frozen food available and they even heat them up for you in a microwave. And they cost ~35-49 bath ~less than AUD2.00.
    Its quick and easy, and work great if do not feel like sitting down anywhere, just get it and go back to your hotel with a few cans of beer ^_^. How is that for a start? ^_&
    Thankyou Mrs. M, if I don't pick up something at the airport, I'll check out the nearest 7/11. Its funny you recommend the food there, because in Canada they have awful food!! 555 I'll have to try out the Thai food at one while I'm there, now.
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I'm not sure about the Android, but my Iphone takes the new mini sim cards.... I have heard that they're a bit harder to get!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    The TrueMove FREE SIM's expire in 30days if NOT USED, (after 1st use).
    I used my TrueMove sim from the HKT Airport(freeby) the last 3 trips and had gaps of up to 4 months between trips, never having a issue with it expiring. The credit on it would expire but could recharge and reuse. Could not get reception in Issan so changed to 12 Call, so VG would not recommend TrueMove for you as you will be going to Nui Home area. I have heard 12 Call has the best national reception and you can use internet with them but have to buy the right simcard and then call the cust service to set it up (very good english). Be careful as the smart phones use the credit very quickly so turn data/internet off when not using it. I went through 300B in 12 hours without doing anything...