Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PatongBeachBoy

Thread: Thailand's Election

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar

Thailand's Election

Haven't heard much about the election the last few days... Is this the quiet before the storm?...
    I just hope for a peaceful and demorcratic outcome without any bloodshed!

Warning on Thai election violence | Herald Sun

and this

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...02/3259460.htm
    Last edited by PatongBeachBoy; 3rd July 2011 at 10:33.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    TG , is in Bangkok today, so hope she steers clear of any trouble if it arises.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Be good to see the election itself over tonight, bars and clubs are suffering enough with low tourist numbers! Yingluck has tremendous support and may win easily but what then.... the army chiefs have said 'no coup', but they'd hardly advertise the fact head of time anyway, so why were they asked???

Nothing's certain although we feel totally safe here regardless of the outcome.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I know I was in both BKK and Patong when the Red shirt riots were on... BKK was like a war zone with gun turrents set up on the FWY to the airport and major intersections in the heart of the city, with soldiers patrolling every station and major tourist attraction... Phuket was the total opposite, you wouldn't even know it was taking place except for the fact the hotel I was in had international papers, and my folks were freaking out at the coverage on the ABC news in Melbourne!!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Red shirt yellow shirt? The problem is a lot of people do not have access to media to have all the facts to make a decision. Here the media has too much power in making decisions.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I know I was in both BKK and Patong when the Red shirt riots were on... BKK was like a war zone with gun turrents set up on the FWY to the airport and major intersections in the heart of the city, with soldiers patrolling every station and major tourist attraction... Phuket was the total opposite, you wouldn't even know it was taking place except for the fact the hotel I was in had international papers, and my folks were freaking out at the coverage on the ABC news in Melbourne!!
    I was there at the start of the trouble, Pattaya had almost no indication of it, the Red Shirts had a demonstration setup outside a government building, may have been the council, but they caused no trouble, closed a road for a weekend of marches.

Back thru Bkk and as you said, armed checkpoints everywhere, the road to the airport, we passed about 6 or 7 army setups, all heavy munition's. On one of the underpass street's we could see one, and just down from it was a shot up Hi Ace van. The bus driver told us that early in the morning some guy was driving home and didn't stop when he should have ( possibly drunk) and so they blew it to pieces, it killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    ~The problem is a lot of Thai [sic] people do not have access to media to have all the facts to make a decision. Here the media has too much power in making decisions.
    That's an eminent 'quotable quote'... yours or did you hear it elsewhere? Succinctly true, and it sums up why I hate politicians and the media (the Tax Office too but that's different).

In Patong this arvo and I stopped outside the 'election tent' set up in Ban Zaan's carpark, for a look-see. They were counting the votes... all very properly too, in public and with army and police presence. Each ballot was pulled out of the box by an EC staffer and passed to an official who read out the vote, holding the ballot paper up for all to see whilst the vote was recorded on a whiteboard. Yingluck's local candidate was the only one getting any 'runs on the board' !!!

Looks like it will be a landslide win for the opposition.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    ^^With talk of bringing back thaksin........That would be very bad for Thailand.
    Notice to we have had a Thai travel warning here.

Joy has said her family are quite uneasy about the outcome of election.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    ^^With talk of bringing back thaksin........That would be very bad for Thailand.

If Thaksin comes back, which sounds inevitable... my guess is that a coup will be looming
    The Reds might have the numbers but the Yellows have the funds and the power!!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    If Thaksin comes back, which sounds inevitable... my guess is that a coup will be looming
    The Reds might have the numbers but the Yellows have the funds and the power!!
    Ever tried to explain the "Animal Farm principal"

Just looked at the FOREX... BHT is 33.15
    G4orce likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Looks like the Red Shirts are in Government in a Landslide election victory
    Thaksin party wins Thai election by a landslide: polls

I hope this will be the best choice for all Thai people. by the vote numbers I believe this is what they wanted.
    Will this change things for us as Tourists/partners?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post

Mrs M just got off the phone to the family.

Mother in Law is worried to....

....that Father-in-law is about to get drunk and start running through the streets waving a red flag......

They are delighted with the result........I hope this time around winning a democratic election by a landside might actually mean they get to run the country...

Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...

I just read this on a FB site and thought it would be worthy to share this guys views, I understand that it was a majority vote and that the people voted the Reds in... I also have a GF from Isaan that feels that this is the best outcome for Thailand..... but why???????
    What defines these 2 parties, which one really has the best interests at heart... Is it a step forward or a backward step??... Are the people really better off and is it at the expense of the economy??????

I am not happy with the results of the elections. it's going to hurt Thai businesses and western investment and ownership. It will also mean inflation, wealth redistribution and lower revenues from tourism. I do take offense to Thai's being referred to as "rice farmers"...Thai's have very industrious and entrepreneurial values, are hard working and in many ways have some of the best services on the globe. many Thai resorts and hotels are world class, the medical industry is one of the best and going fast, attracting many foreign patients...Thai's working for western countries perform in many ways better then their ex-pat counterparts..

IMO a good government has not just the wellbeing of the people at heart but also the economy with a firm grasp of the future in mind!!

Thai TV News analysts (as translated by Jo) said this morning that "Thai people are not happy under Abhisit due to poor economy and have voted for change for sake of change".

I re-write that as "Thailand's less educated masses, with little understanding of World affairs and economic difficulties, have voted for the Party with the biggest promise of personal gain".
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Thai TV News analysts (as translated by Jo) said this morning that "Thai people are not happy under Abhisit due to poor economy and have voted for change for sake of change".

I re-write that as "Thailand's less educated masses, with little understanding of World affairs and economic difficulties, have voted for the Party with the biggest promise of personal gain".
    Thats what I thought Rob.... The reds have been quite smart with getting the masses into the polling booths, very similar to Abama and the Americans