Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: The most content person in Thailand is the rural rice farmer

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

The most content person in Thailand is the rural rice farmer

This comes from Khon Kaen forum. I see this all the time. Your thoughts??

The most content person in Thailand is the rural rice farmer. He is the head of a family that is hard working, independent, and almost self-sufficient. He grows his own rice, tends his chickens, picks fruit from his trees, and barters his labor. His need for money is not great. He does have to buy fertilizer, seed, and a small amount of fuel. He does not have nor require electricity at his house and many times does not have running water indoors. But he is happy with his life until someone tells him that he needs a television set.

The farmers life will never be the same after he buys a television set. First he will have to get electricity to his house and the monthly bill that accompanies it. Then he will have to borrow the money to buy the television which he will have to pay back at an unusually high interest rate. And if the farmer thought before he had a hard time keeping his children from leaving the farm and going to the city for an "easier" life and higher paying jobs, he now has to compete with the television sending this message.

After the television is bought he then buys a new farm machine he saw advertised with those easy credit terms. For his wife he will buy a rice cooker he saw advertised on another channel with no payments for 90 days. His son will soon want some designer footwear and his daughter will want that cellular phone she saw on television.

Now that the farmer is finacially ruined, he sells the farmland that has been with his family for at least three generations and moves to Bangkok. One day while looking out his small shanty, he will recall the days when he owned a farm, the air was clean, and he will say "it all started with that first television set".

The rural farmer in Issan makes around 10,000 baht per year.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    mmmm Capitalism strikes the heart of every man eventually no matter how simple his needs are!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I read this thread and think what price for contentment .... bring back that life one more simple! Great post.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Hmmmmmmmmm...not sure I buy the noble farmer on 10K baht a year in today's world.
    They'd be lucky to get any money for their rice over and above the cost of raising it.
    The kids'd be long gone and by now sending about 10K baht a month back to the farm to keep them in nam pla.

Agree with the sentiment though, just seen a picture of a new mega yacht which is essentially a bunch of grass huts around a pool on the top.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Nothing wrong with capitalism just as long as i got all the capital.....
    Self sufficient on some land.....Would be nice but how achievable....

The above post is not my words but an indicative story. I guess I am one of the few that accepts that Dao married me for money. If I did not have I would not have her. These are just plain facts that most western guys will not accept.

I have no problem with it. (I spent 9++++ years at Uni mostly part time to get some letters before and after my name) Get real why would a stunning young girl want an old fat farang??????? When I ask her why does she love me? We talk in circles for a short time but it always comes back to the fact I am generous with her family.

Yes we love each other mak mak mak. For me it comes to light the way she takes care of my children. What she does for me and my family and her adopted home.

If I was to fall on hard times. As long as Dao and her family knows I tried to provide that will be enough for her family to take care of me and my children.

I think Mrs M put it well. We all need air to breath. We all need love. We all need money. Sorry Mrs M but it is not verbatim.

What I have concluded after spending time with My Thai family is that we are all same same just different.

Long after the Sin sot etc is forgotten. It is a standard Joke with MIL when I answer the phone. She says Morning Good with a smile in her voice. MIL wants my time more than money. She does not understand time is money for me.

MIL does not understand that it is cheaper for me to pay for 8 Thai workers for a month to help plant rice than for Dao to go back and help. But what price do you pay for a good feeling in your heart?????

Cheaper to have a good feeling in your loins in LOS.

I am a happily married man to a Thai girl and would not change for anything.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    The above post is not my words but an indicative story. I guess I am one of the few that accepts that Dao married me for money. If I did not have I would not have her. These are just plain facts that most western guys will not accept.
    I don't know about acceptance. Personally, I just wouldn't be happy knowing that. But... It suits a lot of people and that's fine for them. But I don't think it's an acceptance... it's more a choice in life...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    very interesting Post Jonty, is a good read too

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I don't know about acceptance. Personally, I just wouldn't be happy knowing that. But... It suits a lot of people and that's fine for them. But I don't think it's an acceptance... it's more a choice in life...
    I guess I could tone down the words. Instead of she married me for money I could say she married me for an elevated status in society. Be it Thai or western. Western people dance around the fact of separating love and money. But the underlying fact is it is not. I will give you an example.
    My daughter. One of my treasures in life. When she has a boyfriend apart of his suitability for my daughter is he a decent guy with a decent job? Will this boyfriend enrich her life or take her backwards?

I just want the best for my daughter because I love her. The same as Dao loves her family and wants the best for them.
    contrarian likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Personally I am happy knowing that the woman I love thought I was a good prospect and finacially viable right from the outset....

It is an early checklist item nothing more - but an important one.

As Changone says, an item every Dad ticks off when his daughter brings home her latest BF.

And be honest, how much respect do you have for women - asian or farang - who attach themselves to guys who are clearly long term losers?

Love will conquer all?

Not from what I have seen.....

Yes, it is a choice in life....a wise one....and personally, I have an automatic respect for people who are clear-headed and wise enough to make that choice from the outset.

The alternative is just too Mills and Boon for me....

Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Personally I am happy knowing that the woman I love thought I was a good prospect and finacially viable right from the outset....

As Changone says, an item every Dad ticks off when his daughter brings home her latest BF.

And be honest, how much respect do you have for women - asian or farang - who attach themselves to guys who are clearly long term losers?

Love will conquer all?

Yes, it is a choice in life....a wise one....and personally, I have an automatic respect for people who are clear-headed and wise enough to make that choice from the outset.

Enjoy.
    I best get myself a better job!!

This comes from Khon Kaen forum. I see this all the time. Your thoughts??

The most content person in Thailand is the rural rice farmer. He is the head of a family that is hard working, independent, and almost self-sufficient. He grows his own rice, tends his chickens, picks fruit from his trees, and barters his labor. His need for money is not great. He does have to buy fertilizer, seed, and a small amount of fuel. He does not have nor require electricity at his house and many times does not have running water indoors. But he is happy with his life until someone tells him that he needs a television set.

The farmers life will never be the same after he buys a television set. First he will have to get electricity to his house and the monthly bill that accompanies it. Then he will have to borrow the money to buy the television which he will have to pay back at an unusually high interest rate. And if the farmer thought before he had a hard time keeping his children from leaving the farm and going to the city for an "easier" life and higher paying jobs, he now has to compete with the television sending this message.

After the television is bought he then buys a new farm machine he saw advertised with those easy credit terms. For his wife he will buy a rice cooker he saw advertised on another channel with no payments for 90 days. His son will soon want some designer footwear and his daughter will want that cellular phone she saw on television.

Now that the farmer is finacially ruined, he sells the farmland that has been with his family for at least three generations and moves to Bangkok. One day while looking out his small shanty, he will recall the days when he owned a farm, the air was clean, and he will say "it all started with that first television set".

The rural farmer in Issan makes around 10,000 baht per year.
    Just more "ohh for the good old days" in another form.....

Times change, the world changes whether you like it or not, you adapt or you go under - I didn't make the rules but that does not make them untrue.

Suppose that "lost" farmland now produces ten times as much food under modern techniques on some new mega-farm, and that creates work, industry and flow-on to the local community - was the change still a bad thing?

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I best get myself a better job!!
    Like I make what you do an hour?

Love will conquer all?

Enjoy.
    The point I was tying to make but you put it so much easier.

I guess I could tone down the words. Instead of she married me for money I could say she married me for an elevated status in society. Be it Thai or western. Western people dance around the fact of separating love and money. But the underlying fact is it is not. I will give you an example.
    My daughter. One of my treasures in life. When she has a boyfriend apart of his suitability for my daughter is he a decent guy with a decent job? Will this boyfriend enrich her life or take her backwards?

I just want the best for my daughter because I love her. The same as Dao loves her family and wants the best for them.

Love will conquer all?

Enjoy.
    I guess I will always be Mills & Boon.... 555

I understand completely where you guys are coming from. And this way of thinking works for a lot of people. It's an interesting topic that we could debate for hours as there is no black or white... just various shades of grey....

Though I hate to think of love and meeting the right person as ticking off a series of tick-boxes. Though I know subconsciously it probably does come down to that. (I still hate the idea!)

But I still hold on to the belief (or hope) that the wealth of a man (or a woman) is intangible...
    Last edited by Quarky; 30th July 2011 at 15:38.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I guess I will always be Mills & Boon.... 555

I understand completely where you guys are coming from. And this way of thinking works for a lot of people. It's an interesting topic that we could debate for hours as there is no black or white... just various shades of grey....

Though I hate to think of love and meeting the right person as ticking off a series of tick-boxes. Though I know subconsciously it probably does come down to that. (I still hate the idea!)

But I still hold on to the belief (or hope) that the wealth of a man (or a woman) is intangible...
    What brings people together may not keep them together!

Love is the glue that will make a relationship endure............

She wanted a good life i wanted a beautiful wife........simplistic but cuts both ways.
    Annie and jontymate like this.

I'm hung like a horse.... got nothing to do with money!

Oh I have to laugh and share. But Dao is blunt. "Lucky for you PBB if you have horse wife"
    Quarky and PatongBeachBoy like this.

PBB please do not take offence at the comment. It just came out and she did not think I would post. Just now I am in the sh1t

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    It's the computer that's changed lives the most for the Western world I think.
    I remember the days of all sitting together watching Bambi, Lion King, Grease, Love Actually etc on a cold evening. Now the girls are on their laptops and phones and hardly ever put the tv on.
    I have never been a fan of tv, hate the soaps with a passion, but would love for us all to get together to watch a film now.
    Just life with two teenagers I suppose. Mind you we love the Internet too.

Great thread though.

I'm very much Mills and Boon too 5555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast