Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of the Thailand/Cambodia Preah-Vihear temple conflict

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar

Pictures of the Thailand/Cambodia Preah-Vihear temple conflict

Thailand vs Cambodia: The Preah Vihear Temple Conflict >> TotallyCoolPix
    hope this link works, there are some great pics here....

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    there are some great photos there. Have you seen the comments at the bottom of the page? I am sure the people posting don't even care of the outcome and are just Keyboard Warriors.... Would love to see them out on the line fighting for it....

yeah I read the comments and thought... an invisible line exists on the ground dividing two countries of the same origin, religion and beliefs.... what a sad situation it is that that invisible line creates!
    Last edited by PatongBeachBoy; 26th August 2011 at 19:22.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Yeah I know where you are coming from. War should be fought with the 2 leaders of the countries to save all the blood and loss of lives....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The temple dispute has stirred emotions on both sides of the border and the reality of war has come a little too close for comfort for some on this board. I'd say 99% of the people in those photos if you asked them would rather do with out it and have better things to do.

Politicians first to fight I say.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I didn't believe things were that bad in that area. Looking at the military build up from those photographs makes you think this could have turned nasty. Lets all hope it settles down again.

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    Has it flared up again? Or are they old photos. Yes, too close for comfort, and such a waste.
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I didn't believe things were that bad in that area. Looking at the military build up from those photographs makes you think this could have turned nasty. Lets all hope it settles down again.
    these were taken a while back, before the election even!... still it has been ongoing for years, flares up every now and then...

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    At the negotiation table this week.
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Worse than you might know....its just not news worthy most of the time.

Joys brother is still in hospital from this last little flare up and we believe will be retired from the army when he eventually leaves hospital.

The disruption and fear is still much in conversation when Joy calls home...

Preah Vihear Border Dispute Judgment - Nov 11

this may kick-off again over the next few weeks, with the International Court of Justice (ICJ) rules on disputed territory surrounding the Preah Vihear temple on November 11th.

[SIZE="3"]Locals fear border violence[/SIZE]
    19 October 2013
    SI SA KET : Locals at the Thai-Cambodian border village of Ban Phum Srol want the government to repair bomb shelters amid fears fighting could erupt again following the International Court of Justice's ruling on the Preah Vihear territorial dispute on Nov 11. Many of the bomb shelters in Kantharalak district were damaged in past fighting between Thai and Cambodian troops, while others are flooded inside and are covered with weeds, making them impossible for residents to take refuge in.

[SIZE="3"]Military installs loudspeakers on border [/SIZE]
    Bid to ease tensions in temple ruling run-up

24 October 2013
    SI SA KET : The 2nd Region Army has set up 10 loudspeakers along the Thai-Cambodian border where the Preah Vihear temple is situated to communicate with Cambodian soldiers on the opposite side.
    The government has instructed the army and Foreign Ministry to devise preemptive measures in case of any undesirable developments in the lead-up to the ICJ's ruling on Nov 11.
    Even though the date of the ICJ's ruling is getting closer, Thai authorities are still allowing both Thai and foreign tourists to visit a vantage point on Pha Mor E-Dang in Khao Phra Wihan National Park in Kantharalak district from where they can clearly view the temple.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Good opportunity to drag up some old pics.

I spent a night at Preah Vihear with the Cambo troops 5 years ago as part of a dirt bike ride through the north of Cambo...quite by mistake/misunderstanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ They look friendly enough, especialy the one in black in the last two photos..

^ Yes,some hired help to soothe some shattered nerves after a night on the front lines..

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Good opportunity to drag up some old pics.

I spent a night at Preah Vihear with the Cambo troops 5 years ago as part of a dirt bike ride through the north of Cambo...quite by mistake/misunderstanding.
    I seem to remember a trip report you posted on PI with those same pictures. At the time, I thought you were crazy, but then did the trip myself a year and a half ago in rather calmer times, and it was not too bad.

Cambodia may have the smaller army, but those guys have been fighting in active combat for most of their lives. It is only the last 12 or so years that there has not been active battle in Cambodia. They look like, and probably are, seasoned veterans that you really would not want to mess with, and on average have probably seen far more actual combat then the average Thai soldier.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

^ the guys i`m sitting with having brekky are the Cambo army Commander (1st left) and his henchmen...all ex Khmer Rouge.

First encounter with the Commander was a bit tense as he wanted to know who the westerner (only one up there) was. When he found out i was doing a tour he wanted my interpreter/guide to take a pic of us together with my camera.
    Certainly broke the ice and made me think i`d be safe there as he`d accepted me and the rest would follow suit...but was still a very tense night,especially after a very loud bang in the early hours of the morning....didn`t get back to sleep after it 555

They rule on sovereignty next month do believe there is a build up of troops going on at the mo on both sides of the border..

Children in Si Sa Ket's Kantharalak district play in a bunker which has been reinforced amid concerns of renewed violence on the Thai-Cambodia border when the International Court of Justice rules on the Preah Vihear Temple case on Nov 11
    1 Nov 2013 Bangkok Post Photos of the Week

Army has gone around our village and done a head count women children etc so they know how many trucks for evac.
    Family is quietly prepared..All this some fair distance from the temple!

two from the news today; I expect the ICJ ruling will be in Cambodia's favour - just hope they can accept that ruling as final.

Prayuth visits Si Sa Ket ahead of ICJ ruling
    BANGKOK, 31 October 2013 Army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha will visit Si Sa Ket today in a bid to hold talks with security units ahead of the International Court of Justice ruling on the Preah Vihear temple dispute next month. The discussions will include plans to evacuate residents in case violence erupts and plans to control the flow of traffic and planned rallies in the area.

Army leads attack drills near disputed border region
    2 Nov 2013
    SI SA KET : Soldiers have been deployed to the border area of Si Sa Ket's Kantharalak district to conduct attack drills and evacuation training for residents.
    Officials want residents to be prepared if clashes take place following the ruling.
    Soldiers of the Suranaree Task Force's civil affairs unit yesterday began the training at Ban Sokkhampom School in Kantharalak district's tambon Phuphamok.
    "The soldiers told residents not to worry about the situation on the border," said Sgt Maj 1st Class Prayong Nuansanit, 52, one of the trainers. "There will be no conflict since we can hold talks, but we must not lower our guard."
    The troops yesterday taught children how to identify the sounds of incoming rockets, artillery shells and mortar rounds.
    During the training they practised attack drills by sounding alarms prompting the students to head to emergency shelters.
    The troops and villagers also helped clean the shelters. There are 810 scattered in the area.
    A Suranaree Task Force source said yesterday that Cambodian soldiers and armoured vehicles had been redeployed around the Preah Vihear temple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast