Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Thailand Mailing service and Importing tax

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Thailand Mailing service and Importing tax

I had been thinking about this for a while but Noy is very serious about getting into this very soon. I was going to buy t-shirts and other items in bulk and send them home via post and sell them online and at local market from time to time. Noy's sister lives in BKK and said she will do the shopping around and sending to us but does anyone know of any good and reliable International Couriers from BKK we could use for this?

Also does anyone know what sort of Importing taxes/charges are involved in doing something like this?

This is pretty much to give Noy something to do while I am not around and so she can make a little bit of money at the same time.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    When I went to JJ market there was at least a dozen couriers there... and all the main ones DHL etc etc...
    a very cheap place to buy knock off's from especially in bulk, but only open on a Sunday

I found that Pratunam was very cheap for individual items and even cheaper for bulk.
    I guess it would be safe to go with a well known company, then there are less worries.

I've been to Pratunam and JJ would be at least 1/2 the price with most goods... it is so big 10x Caribbean Market maybe even 15x, you will find at least 100 places selling the same goods all trying to make the sale... and they offer all the courier services there and then...

Thanks for that. I am guessing JJ and Chatuchak are the same place? I just did a quick quote on DHL for International shipping and you pay by the value. For 10000B worth it will cost 9600B I have to say i was not expecting though figures..

there are that many courier companies that you might find one does a better deal to Oz... there is a whole strip of them there, the big one and some much smaller companies.... I'm sure you will be able to land them here and still turn a good profit.... 10,000bht is a lot of T-shirts.... and you could probably fit a sh1tload in a suitcase and bring them on a plane cheaper than posting!

A word of advice if your going to go there....go early... the aisle are that small and crowded that its like a sauna....

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    there are that many courier companies that you might find one does a better deal to Oz... there is a whole strip of them there, the big one and some much smaller companies.... I'm sure you will be able to land them here and still turn a good profit.... 10,000bht is a lot of T-shirts.... and you could probably fit a sh1tload in a suitcase and bring them on a plane cheaper than posting!
    10,000b was just a number I pulled out. But yeah it would be a lot of T-Shirts. I was going to pack very lite for this trip and just wash my clothes rather then having a set for every day. Then will fill the rest of the bag with Clothes and what not, but need to know what I am going to be up for in the future. Get a Budget going and stick to it.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    G4 isn't Noy skilled in tradiontal Thai massage ? And if so does she not want to massage here to earn an income. Maybe she is over it...

I only ask this because JK did a massage 1 month coarse at a temple b4 coming here the 1st time with the thought of eventually doing some work iin it here.

Since coming back this time she has looked at it closer and there are so many masaage shops ( and i proper tradional thai massage and day spas) that are trying to find thai ladies who have some experience in Thai Massage. The money seems fairly good as well with most shops paying up to $100 a day and more depending on how busy they are.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

She is a traditional Thai Masseuse and she has said she would be looking at doing something like that when/if she was to live in Australia. She has said she doesn't really like doing it any more but will if it means making money. She is more into the Acrylic Nails, Manicure, pedicure side of things and ultimatly wants to own a Beauty Salon or be a Hairdresser (of which she has a few skill in already). The problem as you would know is that she can't work on a Tourist Visa and even if you were willing to chance it not many places do "Cash in hand" any more. She said she is willing to take that risk and I guess when she gets here we will physically go and talk to some people rather then over the phone. With the selling of clothes it's all in my name online and if we go to a market she is just there and not earning money...

The other idea was to set something up at home for Massage, Acrylic nail etc and just go by word of mouth to stay on a low radar

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Yeah the Manicure, pedicure is a huge industy here in Sydney ATMoment....go pass any shop at its always packed.....doing something at home is a good idea as well espically in massage as you don't need to many clients a day when the a willing to pay $50 - $60 a hour for a decent massage....

Not sure if its a good idea though considering any work for her while she is here on a TV......you only need one disgrunted person that knows you and the ****e good hit the fan......is it worth the risk ?

G when you get to LOS this time and she still feels the same way about you....just marry her quick!!!....then work problem solved and mum can get her house faster...55555555....just kidding mate ...
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

I am not sure if I want to risk her working but she is very keen, She is saying she wants to be able to work to save money to build her mum and house so that she will be happy and we can all get along again.
    and about the whole marriage thing, hmmm..... I might comment on that later

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Bring them back in your luggage - if questioned they are Xmas gifts for your multiple nieces and nephews etc - it is easier to stick to small sizes - you get them cheaper and you carry more of them for the same mark up - current "fashion" kids T-shirts are always a good seller but come and go with each movie/trend that bombs - I'd stay away from the current big movie stuff - stick to the perennial or long term favs like Thomas the Tank, Barbie, Ben 10 etc.

I prefer Market stalls to E-bay - less costs, cash in hand and few issues over returns/quality etc.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Thanks for that Minder, will keep all of that in mind. Myself and Noy have 30kg each for luggage on the return flight so will stuff as much as I can in our bags, Most of her stuff is already at mine so hopefully she will be packing light. I know you were doing similar at one stage if not still? I hope I am not cutting your lunch.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Lots of people bring back exta suitcases of goods and just pay the extra baggage fee, still cheaper than shipping IIRC.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"