Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bangkok Floods Worsen

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Bangkok Floods Worsen

Trying to keep up with news from Bangkok regards the flooding, I am hearing that the worst is yet to come. They were saying on my local news this morning that the flooding could continue for 4 more weeks. I know the government has announced a 5 day holiday to move out of Bangkok, PBB and Kaptain have posted some info and pictures already.

Anyone else have any updates ?

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Cadet Gold
    They were saying that it was going to be bad last night with high tide and the main wall of water coming in from the north. I assume we will hear over the next few hours how bad it got. Saw on a website that many are leaving BKK. I just checked hotel bookings on Accor, and cheaper places (yet expensive for Thais) in Pattaya and Hua Hin were booked out.
    "Do not be afraid of death. Be afraid of the half-lived life!" Laird Hamilton

People evacuating to provinces
    Published: 26/10/2011 at 10:27 PM
    Online news:

In a live telecast, Mor Chit terminal sees more people waiting to travel to provinces to escape floods in Bangkok.

Tour bus operators admit that they don't have enough buses to accommodate the public and some may have to wait a few days to get to their destinations as buses have to make detours to avoid flooded highways.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is also packed with travellers who want to escape Bangkok during this time.

Foundation Member Cadet Bronze

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Well Mrs W rung her brother and family came down from Surin in their truck and grabbed him and all his household stuff should be just about back in Surin now....Just in time.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyzak View Post
    I think this about sums it up!!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I saw on SBS 24hr news, that some croc's are swimming the streets of outer Bkk, don't remember the name.

Aparently they were in a farm/park like VG showed us photo's off, and the floods have let them out. The report was they had eaten parts of recovered dead body's. If it is true, no wonder everyone wants to get out of there.

The big problem will be sanitation/health. Just walking in the floods will cause rashes, and other illness, yet alone having to drink it. They are short of bottled water everywhere, even Patts, and food is getting short, my mates in Patts, report no bread, rice, tinned fish of anykind, bottle water and even potatoe's. There is still a supply of fresh seafood, prawns, crab and lobster.

The majority of them have no insurance, so will have to rebuild from scratch, and most have no work to go to because of the floods.

Toyota and Honda factories are flooded, and the Japanese govenment is giving, emergency funds to those branches in Thai.

Having seen QLD go thru it earlier this year, I feel devistated for them, as they have so much more population per area, than we do.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Land and House has sandbagged the estate where stands the Minder Mansion - the sister-in-law has put as much as she can upstairs and up high - and it has been a waiting game for several days now. At a local level it seems that accurate information cannot be had regarding local flooding - nobody knows how bad it will be or when it will be at its worst - wait and see, and more waiting.

The in-laws are in Bang Phli and our house in Bang Bo - in the Sumat Prakan province - we are out to the east -south-east of Bangkok so if the new airport goes under I will know we probably have to.

baan3.jpgbaan2.jpgbaan1.jpg

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Minder; 27th October 2011 at 17:35.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Just spoke with Cat. Staying with sister not far from Lumphini Park. Still ok this morning i.e. not flooded. Was able to buy 2x12x1.5 litres of water yesterday.

The water is still rising.
    A large volume of water, equiv to half a million Olympic sized pools, is due to flow into the BKK system by Friday. No-one knows what will happen but are now preparing for the worst.

Viewing TV video of a very slow moving Chao Praya river near the docks, ~ 5knots, it's fairly obvious that water cannot escape as fast as it enters from the north.

I don't think we've seen the worst yet. I told Jo on Monday, she should advise her sister and aunt, along with cousins and nephews, to evacuate early as disease and food shortages would be detrimental to their health. They are safe in Roi Et.

In VMR work I often did inland flood rescues and at times had twin 200hp outboards at full power to make headway against floodwater in Gold Coast rivers.... that's how fast water flows when CLEARING the system!

Problem with BKK, is the flood plain upon which the city sits is only 2m above sea level so it's like a big shallow bowl with a few leaky cracks (rivers/canals) for water to escape thru.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Froc advises people to leave Bangkok
    Published: 27/10/2011 at 11:04 AM
    Online news:

The Flood Relief Operations Centre (Froc) advised people the capital to leave Bangkok for safety reasons, reports said.

The Froc said Bangkokkians should take an opportunity during the special long holidays to visit tourist destinations or to stay with relatives in other flood-free provinces.

The suggestions came after a prediction that the massive amount of water will soon arrive in Bangkok and that there will be high tide from Oct 28-31.

Bangkok governor Sukhumphand Baripatra on Thursday morning told people in Sai Mai in Bangkok to evacuate to safe ground as water level in the area was rising.

Mr Sulhumphand yesterday advised people in Bang Plad and Don Mueang districts to move out from homes to higher areas or to the prepared temporary shelters of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

He also declared Wang Thong Lang and Lat Phrao districts special watch zones.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post

Viewing TV video of a very slow moving Chao Praya river near the docks, ~ 5knots, it's fairly obvious that water cannot escape as fast as it enters from the north.

Problem with BKK, is the flood plain upon which the city sits is only 2m above sea level so it's like a big shallow bowl with a few leaky cracks (rivers/canals) for water to escape thru.
    The tides in the Gulf of Thailand are quite high ATM so this is stopping the water from escaping as such

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    The tides in the Gulf of Thailand are quite high ATM so this is stopping the water from escaping as such
    Correct.

Tomorrow and Saturday early am tides are the highest for the month, approx half a metre higher than average and 300mm higher than today. Most dangerous time ranges from 4am to around 10am each day and culminating with the 'wall of water' coming from the north does not bode well for BKK.

As I said before.... we've not seen the worst yet.

PS: Have a look at some of the misinformation in forums on Thai Visa... almost as bad as the Government's press releases. FYI, Bangkok has predominantly semi-diurnal tides: 2 highs/2 lows per day.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Apparently Patts in parts is up 300mm just due to the tide... not from rain!

Run wabbits run.........

More pics Very wide spread......hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    More pics Very wide spread......hmmm
    Incredible photography.

Much of that water from Ayutthaya is only now flowing into Bangkok!

People are stranded in many city areas as water rises and taxis will not venture off elevated tollways. Just as well a certain member from WA decided against visiting BKK this week.
    Cheers, Rob.

G4 posted on FB earlier that he got out of BKK at the right time as Noy's sisters house is at knee level

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    The pictures are absolutely astounding. That temple in Ayutthaya was one of the ones I visited just a few short months ago, that now sits in the middle of a vast lake. I really feel for the people who are too poor to take the governments advice to get out of the city and head for resort areas, I am sure millions wish they had the means to. How do that many millions of people evacuate a city the size of Bangkok? I can see the final death toll being in the thousands by the time this is all over, if not through drowning, then through dehydration, malnutrition and disease. Frightening stuff.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Watching TV show ppl how to make 'camp toilets' by cutting a hole out of plastic chair and sitting down on a plastic shopping bag.... no bum guns!
    Just saw video of Zeers IT shopping centre, Don Muang, and carpark under a metre of water. I know that area quite well and it should be ok if water doesn't rise too much higher ... wishful thinking?
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast