Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thailand Does Have Road Rules

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Thailand Does Have Road Rules

After I visited a Police Station in Chiang Mai in August this year I snapped a pic of the penalty board, we had been charged with our TG's not wearing helmets and the cop who spoke no english took us outside and pointed to there sign, 200Baht each and the off you go 555

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

^^^ Number 6, Driver or Passenger not wearing seatbelt, no mention of the 10 x passengers in the back of the ute 5555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Compare to here then average income
    Unlicensed driving offences
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Compare to here then average income
    Unlicensed driving offences
    Seems fair..........
    Spent 3 hours in Patts central Police station waiting to pay a 200bt fine on Xmas eve once.....that was fun after being done for no licence at a road block South Patts..

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Penalties? If only they had something to do with people's driving habits.
    It's organized anarchy out there. More and more cars, bigger bikes and pavements that exist only to mount power poles and advertising. Temporary annexation of roads by mobile sellers, idle taxis parked in every available space.
    Ironically, the reason I now take the bike every time I step out the door is that there is no place to walk anymore.
    Crossing the road, you need that multi target radar they have in F16 fighter jets, you know the one that can track 16 individual targets at once, except that this is the defensive model and you are the target. This trip we brought two bike helmets and hab international license, roadblocks everywhere.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Penalties? If only they had something to do with people's driving habits.
    It's organized anarchy out there. More and more cars, bigger bikes and pavements that exist only to mount power poles and advertising. Temporary annexation of roads by mobile sellers, idle taxis parked in every available space.
    Ironically, the reason I now take the bike every time I step out the door is that there is no place to walk anymore.
    Crossing the road, you need that multi target radar they have in F16 fighter jets, you know the one that can track 16 individual targets at once, except that this is the defensive model and you are the target. This trip we brought two bike helmets and hab international license, roadblocks everywhere.
    Speaking of road rules Mr C you and everyone out there take care tonight....Wabbit orders.5555555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    only one road rule here. if its bigger than you and can hurt you more get out of it's way
    Quarky, G4orce and Rivo like this.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I'm a professional driver by occupation ... 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, roughly 1,800 hours a year. All that to say, Thailand roads scare the crap out of me!! 555 Being a pedestrian crossing a busy street requires a combination of courage, faith and blind luck. It seems so natural to the Thai's, but I found it completely daunting. I did not find driving up Phitsanulok way all that difficult, but I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to drive anywhere near Bangkok.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

There are the official rules, which are applied intermittently, usually at a checkpoint..... which seems a bit pointless.

Then there are the unwritten rules, the driving as it is. For someone coming from a place where people are taught to drive, and what to expect, it is all a bit daunting. Once you get familiar with it there is a pattern, but you do have to keep your wits about you all the time. It is no place for a Sunday drive.

I have ridden over 120,000 km on motorcycles on Thai roads, without an accident or a fine.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Touch wood!
    Welcome Mick
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    There are the official rules, which are applied intermittently, usually at a checkpoint..... which seems a bit pointless.

Then there are the unwritten rules, the driving as it is. For someone coming from a place where people are taught to drive, and what to expect, it is all a bit daunting. Once you get familiar with it there is a pattern, but you do have to keep your wits about you all the time. It is no place for a Sunday drive.

I have ridden over 120,000 km on motorcycles on Thai roads, without an accident or a fine.

WTTB Mick, has most of your riding been in the country or city ?

Whats your favourite bike for Thailand, if its city and a bit of country my choice is the Honda PCX.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    On Bribie Island this week.

Licence / Grog / Drug test.

I actually like this as some people seem to go crazy on the beach. Crazy speeds and young children do not mix.

My belief is, as with a Boat and Jet ski you should have a different class of licence for beach driving.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^^ Agree with you for sure. I also think there should be an aditional extension of a licence to tow a caravan, or boat.
    How can a 17yr old get a licence and go hook up a van or boat, with no experience in towing, or an old couple, retire, buy a van and never having experience, get out on the highway and travel at 100kph with no understanding of loading it, wind effects or breaking.

I can't just go along and jump on a bobcat or backhoe without a licence to operate.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I find riding a bike through Patong/Bangkok a thrill and all a part of the holiday :P I have to admit riding in BKK is a very different experience....

I can not understand why people are fined for not wearing a helmet as the helmets they provide would do nothing if you were to have an accident :S

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Rules say you got to have "approved" helmet, but most likely the guy that made it approved it.
    Amazing sights now, like four people on the one bike all wearing helmets...555
    Another funny one if you got to wear a seat belt as front passenger. But you can roll around in the back all you want, or even carry 12 of your friends on the back of the D-Max.
    On the serious side, still far too many deaths due to senseless drinking and riding.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Rules say you got to have "approved" helmet, but most likely the guy that made it approved it.
    Amazing sights now, like four people on the one bike all wearing helmets...555
    Another funny one if you got to wear a seat belt as front passenger. But you can roll around in the back all you want, or even carry 12 of your friends on the back of the D-Max.
    On the serious side, still far too many deaths due to senseless drinking and riding.
    It is amazing what is acceptable and what is not... and it is amazing that people will continue to drink and ride without a helmet, risking there life in LOS when it costs next to nothing for a taxi or Tuk Tuk.
    Toby and Arada likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    WTTB Mick, has most of your riding been in the country or city ?

Whats your favourite bike for Thailand, if its city and a bit of country my choice is the Honda PCX.
    Years ago in Issan all my motorcycling was in the country, and a lot of it was on unsealed roads. I was provided with an ancient Honda CB90 S, and then a Yamaha YB 100, both of which were ok for my needs.

Now it is a mix of city and country. Most of the time I use a bicycle for around town. For weekend trips to the beach and the like I have a 15 year old Honda Dream, which I bought as an ex-rental 9 years ago. It has done 195,000 km now; engine overhauled at 170,000. Again it is OK for my needs; very practical.

I have ridden a couple of those scooters with CVT transmission, and cannot say I go them. I am probably a bit conservative, having started riding on a CT90 (a trail variant of the Honda Cub) in 1965. I have always used 2 wheels in preference to 4 wheels, and have ridden bikes of 50cc to a litre. I have come to prefer small to medium sized bikes for practical transport.

When I was working in the UK I had a Honda CB250RS for several years. I used for day to day transport as well as tours of the British Isles and Central Europe. Based on that experience, I reckon the new CBR250R looks well suited for getting around a bit more in Thailand, and reports tend to confirm that. I would be tempted to get one and tour a bit if I was staying around a bit longer. However as it is I will probably be on my way later this year...... might get a CBR250R when I get home!

A guy I know has several bikes, including a Harley, a Kawasaki 250 dirt bike, a BMW 650, and a Honda Wave. He uses the Wave to get around town, and reckons the BMW is ideal for touring in Thailand.
    Last edited by Mick; 11th March 2012 at 16:00.

^I always wish i had my WR450F in LOS but a DR400 would do just as well for all those back roads and such.
    G4orce likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post

Same comments from me elswhere Mick. Radar On! Expect the unexpected and above all be courteous was what i noticed the most around Udon. So what If they decide to turn left from the right lane, just back off and give them space. I never noticed any road rage, But I really wished they knew how to keep roundabouts moving smoothly....

Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    ^I always wish i had my WR450F in LOS but a DR400 would do just as well for all those back roads and such.
    Wabbs i posted elsewhere about Phuket traffic and thinking I could have had a ball on my coat hanger, but then thinking about it I settled on, "I could get into a lot of trouble a lot quicker with something that was faster than the local traffic".

Up in Isaan, yeah Baby, but how hard are the Buffalo to see in the dark
    Toby and Arada likes this.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast