Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Job Security Bonds

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar

Job Security Bonds

Helping out a family member. She needs to get a job. She has secured one at a bank. The banks wants a security bond from her of 60 K baht before she can handle cash.

Is this normal? Is stealing really that bad?

Dao has told me that in the past when she had cashier jobs at eateries or department stores it was usual for her to pay 5-10 K as a security deposit. Even then if the till was out it would come out of her wage.

I have no reason to doubt Dao or her cousin. I am just wondering though is a part of the 60 K part of a kickback for her getting the Job.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Never heard of this JM, ill ask TG when I get home this arvo if she has heard of this.

You want to get the coin back when you left, with interest IMO
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Mrs M has not heard of it but says it sounds likely - "the system not the same as Australia, here if you steal from them they will find you but in Thailand they can just disappear."

Her second comment would cause me more concern -"You cannot be just anyone to work in a bank (in Thailand). She must know someone to get job."

My scam radar went off the moment I read your post - apologies in advance to the cousin - as good scams contain the most truth.

If it were me I'd expect that if the job is real then the 60k bond is real ...... Oh and to state the obvious ...again if it were me .... I would not really expect to see that money again
    (even if everything was above board the 60k would come back in name only to the Mrs before being redistributed to some other "need" in the family.)

Enjoy.

Edit in: Had to write that post a bit quick so it sounds a bit harsh.

To explain why my Threat/scam radar went off here...

The culture in Thailand clashes with the reality of the 21st century - credit cards, mobile phones, western influences on fashion, and the internet to name a few, lots of young Thais get themselves into financial jams the same way young people do in the West - but Western culture allows them to be bailed out by the parents/relatives after a barely cap-in-hand admission - heck, most parents expect it. In Thailand it is not so easy to admit the mistake - I am in trouble because I have been foolish with my credit cards and need 60k real quick - no going to make anyone look good is it?

So - face - telling people things that might make them unhappy etc - not good - so better to get creative and tell them something that makes them happy - eg: I've got a great new job - and then add the small problem of the 60k. .... later I lose the job, the evil bank people keep the money and even deny that I ever worked for them ... no hurt, no foul, no loss of face... especially if the 60k comes indirectly from "Lung" Farang who will never miss it...

I don't know the cousin but I know that "good" jobs in Thailand - jobs in Government, jobs in banks, actually any half decent job - have "a fence" around them that only get climbed by relatives, friends, favours etc - so back to my basic point - if the job is real then the bond is probably real to.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Minder; 25th February 2012 at 12:36. Reason: Took a shower in between the two
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Yes it is through someone. Not family though. Some bloke tied up with the bank & teaching part time economics at Uni. Sounds like he wants a bit of pants down action to me but I could be wrong.

We will not be handing over 60K she has saved 20 and her sister (in UK) has sent her 20 so it will be 20K from us. Collectively still a lot of money to get a job! And as always will not expect anything back but gratitude.

Dao does not usually fall for scams and her cousin would not be game to scam Dao. I will leave it up to her.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    ....Dao does not usually fall for scams and her cousin would not be game to scam Dao. I will leave it up to her.
    Yes, same same for me - thank god - I think any guy who does not have the safety net of his Thai partner keeping the family seagulls away would not last long in or out of LOS.

Good (and bad) to hear the real reason she is landing the job ... but your theory at least explains how she made it in the door ...

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    ... The very reason Dao is in LOS ATM. Her cousin that has had a free ride from Dao (and others) for accommodation and education is over. She still has the illusions that the trash magazines and soap operas have filled her head with that a Korean movie star that she is saving herself for will sweep her of her feet.
    Your avatar may be on a beach but you are not Robinson Crusoe. (How I wish you were 555)

Enjoy.
    Life is the unexpected ...