Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Tell Me About Korat,Roi Et and Khon Kaen ?

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Tell Me About Korat,Roi Et and Khon Kaen ?

Have been talking to TG about our next trip in LOS, was going up to CM again, although I want to go their again in January 2013 for the better motorbike weather so maybe I need to have a look somewhere else.

TG wants to take me to Korat first then up to Khon Kaen and Roi Et, I have never been to Isaan so what can I expect, I will start and finish the trip in Bangkok and have 3 weeks in total in LOS. I have access to a car in Korat, although I prefer to hire incase something goes wrong.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I have been through Korat a number of times... but never really explored it. Lovely drive over a hill range from Bangkok to Korat, with nice lakes etc near the main highway. Roi Et province is just nice and relaxed and full of rice fields... it strangely enough reminded me of parts of NZ. Very green... and I just like that relaxed slow vibe you feel when you reach a rural farming community.... Roi Et City itself was more modern than I expected. The province is quite flat...

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I only visited Korat, didn't explore anywhere as it was just 3 days and was to see the kids.

As DP has said it is a steep mountainous road before some very nice lakes, before you get to Korat.
    We went by bus, and I have to say, the driving by everyone is really out there. I was glad we were on something as big as the bus, although it's driver was pretty wild as well.

Korat was much larger than I expected, more a small city than a town. It has army and air forces based there.
    It is about the size of Phuket, but in the middle of nowhere.

Expect to be looked at like a man from the moon, little kids will point at you. They don't have many falang there. Street sign's are in Thai only, and not many people speak English.

The trip by bus Korat to Bkk was 4.5hrs if I remember corectly.

I heard there was a lot of resort type buildings gone up around the hills and lake, but there was a drama that they were built on crown land and may have been demolished, aparently it was a very nice holiday destination for people in BKK. Only in Thailand can a company go build a resort in the forestry land 55555

I understand there is some nice mountains to the North East but haven't any knowledge myself.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    I heard there was a lot of resort type buildings gone up around the hills and lake, but there was a drama that they were built on crown land and may have been demolished, aparently it was a very nice holiday destination for people in BKK. Only in Thailand can a company go build a resort in the forestry land 55555
    I could be wrong with this but I heard a story of them being built into the fringe of a National Park...
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I could be wrong with this but I heard a story of them being built into the fringe of a National Park...
    Yes PBB, as I said they were built on government land, and once one was up others followed and the was many of them. Then some official checked and found the land wasnt' theirs to build on.

It is a little bit more involved than just that. The land had some sort of title that is in Thailand, where the king gave it for occupation only many many 100,s of years ago to settle farmer's and families that were poor.
    It is a decendant lease, where the right to occupy the land passes on to the direct main blood line of the origional holder.

It has been so long, the prople believerd the land was theirs and sold it. A friend of mine who he and his Thai wife and son live and work in NT mining. They have rebuilt mother's house in Korat and also purchased a new home for themselves.
    They decided they like being out of the city and went up to the mountain area where ther were offered a small acreage for a good price and in the location they like.
    He buldozed the old tremite ridden hut and built a big dam. Hasn;t started the house yet because he has now been hit to apear in court over the ownership of the land.

He has no idear what the outcome will be, he tells me there are many in the same boat.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Khon Kaen

Silk Village

Cobra Village

Tortoise Village

Museum is great if you are into history and Pre historics.

The univeristy is a town within the town and have a market every Tuesday. Great for ummmm "Studying Ornithology"

Easy day to go into Laos if you want.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Khon Kaen

Silk Village

Cobra Village

Tortoise Village

Museum is great if you are into history and Pre historics.

The univeristy is a town within the town and have a market every Tuesday. Great for ummmm "Studying Ornithology"

Easy day to go into Laos if you want.
    All I remember was the Dino statues leaving the airport. We were travelling to Maha Sarakham about 1 hr away. Very nice drive, flat and dry. Went through Korat on the bus back to Bangkok, very large town. Only saw the bus station and the highway, very busy place though. The lakes and mountains were a surprise from the flat country where I just was. I remember there was a huge white temple on the way, impressive. One day I will stop and look at it closer....

January is not the best time to visit Isaan; rice harvest is over and fields are turning brown with the dry season. Central regions, all the way westward from KK are littered with National Parks. Note: November is best month to visit Isaan when rice fields are in transition from green to gold.

Jo and I will traverse the central region next week on our way to Chiang Mai … approx 900km’s via Roi Et and Khon Kaen. The latter is quite a nice city although little to do there. My favourite spots in KK are Central Plaza shopping centre and the University for ornithology plus Ratchawadee Resort Hotel near the airport for cheap but luxurious accommodation and magnificent food. The lake, just south of city centre is surrounded by good restaurants for romantic evenings.

Korat (Nakon Ratchasima) region is famous for its superb noodles which can also be purchased at most OTOP stores in Isaan.

The roads are all excellent, far superior to Australia, and you can get a very good Tourist Road Map from the tourism bureau at Suvarnabhumi – you have to ask for them, they’re kept out back. Get two, they beat the pants off anything in bookshops or servo’s that you pay for. Note: Throughout Isaan, Jiffy/Amazon servo’s are large clean sites with 7-11’s and OTOP shops and free wi-fi
    Quarky likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Thanks for your suggestion's everyone, looks more and more like happening, I should of mentioned this trip will be for June/July this year, Chiang Mai is still on for January 2013.

Thanks for the tip on the road map KR, I like to look where I am going on the map aswell, much prefered than a GPS. I will pick one up for sure.

I have a great road map of the North of Thailand, very detailed, I have been thinking of sending off for a new one and getting it laminated and put on the wall.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"