Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Under your skin? What annoys you more than it should?

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

Under your skin? What annoys you more than it should?

Annoyances? I think we all have one that seems to bug us out of proportion to what it is.

What is that little thing that really annoys you in Thailand?

Mine is rude touts - yeah, most are annoying but now and then one pushes a button.

Last week I walked between Sala Daeng and Chong Nonsi sky train stations. I did this for two reasons, one was to kill time so I was not too early for my dental appointment and the other was to see what Patpong looked like during daylight.

Knowing when you are getting close to Patpong is easy - by the number of massage parlour touts - even at lunch time on a weekday.

Most take a simple shake of the head as confirmation that you are not interested - "Happy hour" or not.

Some need that and a wave of the hand and a "Mai Ow, Khap" (not want) ...

And now and then one will still shove that little colored flyer right in your face no matter how uninterested you appear - which he did so close it blocked my vision - adding (in quite good english I'll admit) "Look at it."

As I had already said "Mai ow" as he approached I now added "Mai son jai" (not interested) the omission of the polite particle khap was intentional and I continued past him (fighting off the urge to push him).

Funny how a little exchange like that could annoy me so much ... I think it is the total lack of respect that gets to me ....

So...Which, if any, of the multitude of annoyances seems to get under your skin more than others?
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Farang price- Thai price
    G4orce likes this.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Lack of completion. Bit like the movie the castle and the extension.

Na na that project has stopped waiting on some cheap cladding.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Nothing really annoys me in Thailand... except the delays at BKK airport... but most airports annoy me...

Oh... the behaviour of some farangs annoys me from time to time... their disrespect of locals...
    Spot and NamTanMot like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Big one for Dao. She often gets here.
    Oh but it is a happy simple life over there.
    wabbits likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Mrs C had a good chuckle over a radio commentator who was so exasperated by some annoying niggle he said "Oh what's the point!". Has been used by her for repeat laughs a few times this week.
    jontymate likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

I love negotiating to buy stuff in the markets or plazas, and when it is a good experience/fun, I sometimes give them a bit more than agreed to show my respect or appreciation for the experience, even though some think I must be crazy. But I hate when I walk off, either as part of the negotiation strategy or because I am not interested in pursuing further, and they grab me by the arm and wont let go. If they do that, then I don't care what the price is, I'm not buying.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Indian tailors for the most part especially when they try to do a oz accent.

You have walked past 5 times and each time its the same same.

That and taxi drivers arranged by the guy at the hotel done it twice and twice tried the 600bt to airport....
    G4orce likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Double lady drinks scam - offered the girl a LD and then it cost me 400 baht - a standard cola LD plus a shot of something (water?)

No please or thank you - just take the mug for all you can as quick as you can
    I was not impressed
    That came close to being my last ever LD

That was in Spice Girls agogo in Soi Cowboy - about a year ago - the scam of the moment I guess...
    ... and it seems it did not last long as I've since been back - several times now I think about it
    (Last time with Gazmac as Long Gun was too crowded)
    - and bought an LD or two there without the same problems

Noted however that the mamasan in Spice Girls loiters around and really pushes the girls to get another drink etc - no wonder the place will have a half dozen customers when Long Gun and Shark are standing room only. Great place to work -not - my girl said she was on 5k a month salary (IF she got her minimum 8 barfines a month) and got zero days off a month.

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I really hate the Tailors, Touts, Men treating the women like they are not human and I cant stand the yound drunk "newbies" who disrespect the Thai way and people. On one trip tere was a Footy team on a end of year trip. They went from Bar to Bar in Soi Easy ringing every bell and not paying the "fine". You could see the staff getting very angry. That just pushes my buttons
    Spot likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    I cant say it is just Thailand because they are everywhere. Loud mouthed drunk Tourists that do not show respect to themselves, thier country of origin or thier host countries.

I can say the same for the squat Dunnies, hate em wherever they are, even more now with a fckd ankle. Agree with Farang Price - Thai Price.

But the biggy for me is revenue day by the local traffic coppers.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Touts would have been the biggie for me too, but I learned to deal with them. I learned not respond, to act like they don't exist. Now in my mind they don't, and have ceased to be a bother to me.

The same principle can be applied to some other things, and I can't think of much that really bugs me now. If something is a bother I tend to avoid it if possible, or ignore it.

Toby and Arada
    The unfortunate habit of throwing trash away anywhere. A beautiful country littered with plastic bags etc etc etc

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Touts is deff the one for me ! Especially the go go touts on Bangla Rd ! Every 3 meters ! Nothing against the go go shows (yes Minder that was a great night in Cowboy ) Just the touts ! A friend of Tane's is a tout on Bangla and every time she gets people into Secrets gogo , she is paid 4oo baht ! ( have sat there at a bar in that soi and have seen her drag up to 5 lots of people in there in an hour and a half ) can see why she does it ! She makes big money !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Ambivalnt sevice.
    I select a bottle of water marked 14 baht in the Family Mart.
    Take it to the check out girl, "22 baht sir."
    "Its marked 14 baht."
    I go to walk off and swap it for Chang Water which is always near cheapest.
    She sighs.
    "Now I have to change this!" , she huffs.
    No suggestion it may be me inconvenienced , and that labelling the product correctly might save us all some energy...

No respect for our age difference either.
    When I turned and gave her a threatening smile and said . "Arai nah?" she dropped her head and wouldnt reply.
    Real tourist area stuff...
    Minder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby and Arada View Post
    The unfortunate habit of throwing trash away anywhere. A beautiful country littered with plastic bags etc etc etc
    Plastic in LOS a ticking Thai bomb, never seen the use of plastic like it.....Bag of coke etc.

Watched the bahn kids just peel off there ice cream wrappers and just open their fingers where ever they may be.

Its a brow furrowing thing as inside the home its usually spotless.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Ambivalnt sevice.
    I select a bottle of water marked 14 baht in the Family Mart.
    Take it to the check out girl, "22 baht sir."
    "Its marked 14 baht."
    I go to walk off and swap it for Chang Water which is always near cheapest.
    She sighs.
    "Now I have to change this!" , she huffs.
    No suggestion it may be me inconvenienced , and that labelling the product correctly might save us all some energy...

No respect for our age difference either.
    When I turned and gave her a threatening smile and said . "Arai nah?" she dropped her head and wouldnt reply.
    Real tourist area stuff...
    Service i think gets better the further away from Farang frequented spots.

Not just a Thai thing though maybe a Teen thing, well here it is with facebook and chatting to the other checkout chicks etc....
    Changone likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Yep , its , "You are Falang. You have money. Why you not just pay ( what I mislabelled) for a more expensive one and leave me alone?"

Gets up ma nose...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Yep , its , "You are Falang. You have money. Why you not just pay ( what I mislabelled) for a more expensive one and leave me alone?"

Gets up ma nose...
    Its an extension of the same overriding attitude to Falang in that be it a careless motor accident, or sloppy work of any kind, your place is to accept your place, and that is beneath anyone from Thailand, in the same way that Hiso's are always to be believed over "Ling Isaan" and the like.

Now im not saying that this is the way to live, but faced with this, One way to deal with it is to continually remind anyone that adopts this attitude that you can "Buy and Keep" as many of them as you like for as long as you like, and in their particular case that likely won't be for very long at all.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Oh... the behavior of some farangs annoys me from time to time...
    Like a few other folks chimed in, when visitors from another country, especially spoiled young 20's with too much money in their hands think the world is there to serve them and that everyone is in love with them.... And yes, it is not just in Thailand, and its not just with falangs, but something you see far more often when there are big differences in perceived standings between two groups of people.... For example, southern Thais vs northern Thais... Just agitates me to no end...

I think everyone needs to experience the feeling of both being poor and serving someone else at least some period of their lives... Its all about understanding the other perspective.....
    Quarky and justcruzing1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast