• 1 Post By Spot
  • 1 Post By Gazmac
  • 2 Post By jontymate
  • 1 Post By Mick
  • 1 Post By Mick
  • 1 Post By Gazmac

Thread: Is Thailand worth visiting?

Is Thailand worth visiting?

I would like some convincing that I should visit Thailand rather than some other destination.

I am not interested in meeting a Thai girl, so wondered if you would still visit Thailand if you had no interest in Thai girls or the famous Thai "nightlife"?

I like beaches, but Australia, NZ, Bali, Vietnam, Brazil and Scotland all have great beaches...

I like being warm... but most countries within 40 degrees of the equator are warm for some part of the year...

So what's the big appeal? And would most of you still visit Thailand if you had no interest in it's women?

I must admit... my first visit was as a stopover... only a few days. I didn't really know about the ladies. But I just loved the energy of the place... the ladies were a nice bonus though once discovered... but Thailand is a country of variety. It has something for everyone...

Then there is the food... the friendly people... the nice inexpensive hotels... the warm sea... and dammit... those girls are just put there to deliberately distract you... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    If you are a young or old drinking too much cause its cheap, rascist, loud mouthed, rude obnoxious, "my country is better than yours" type traveller. Stay home.

You will either A, Not enjoy it anyway. B Give the rest of us a bad name C. Come back the self appointed expert on all things Thailand and run the place into the ground. - Stay home.

If you want to learn or get a taste of and see a new culture, history, magnificient landscapes and seascapes. If you can go into the place with yours eyes and mind open (and your mouth shut?) then please spend your dollars in LOS.

And the magic of this approach is you will definitely come back with more than you took there..
    Gazmac likes this.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    On my first trip to LOS it was deff as a tourist ! No intentions of meeting or doing anything with the girls even though i had heard about it ! And i didnt until the 2nd last night when my now wife cornered me ! I had an absolute blast , just doing touristy things and trips ! I would go back just for the food and the friendly people that make up Thailand if for no other reason . Its an amazing country with a lot to offer !
    Spot likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Its the vibe. I have been to Thailand for holidays for years before I was a single guy. But I never seen the "real" Thailand. My ex wife and I would alternate between Thailand and Malaysia every year. She preferred KL for shopping I preferred Thailand for the people and the vibe. Tourist resorts though is not Thailand as I have come to know it.
    Quarky and Spot like this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    On my first trip to LOS it was deff as a tourist ! No intentions of meeting or doing anything with the girls even though i had heard about it ! And i didnt until the 2nd last night when my now wife cornered me ! I had an absolute blast , just doing touristy things and trips ! I would go back just for the food and the friendly people that make up Thailand if for no other reason . Its an amazing country with a lot to offer !
    Isn't it exciting to know... that behind every corner... lurks a possible future wife! Love it!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    I first went there only for the women and the night life .... but soon found a lot more ... now I return regularly looking for neither .... the place has a chaotic energy that draws you back ... the climate, the food, the value for money and the people ... maybe all those things can be found elsewhere but I stopped looking a decade ago .... Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thai info geek View Post
    I would like some convincing that I should visit Thailand rather than some other destination.

I am not interested in meeting a Thai girl, so wondered if you would still visit Thailand if you had no interest in Thai girls or the famous Thai "nightlife"?

I like beaches, but Australia, NZ, Bali, Vietnam, Brazil and Scotland all have great beaches...

I like being warm... but most countries within 40 degrees of the equator are warm for some part of the year...

So what's the big appeal? And would most of you still visit Thailand if you had no interest in it's women?
    Is anywhere worth visiting? You can learn new things, if you want to, wherever you go. You can find interesting places, try different food, meet new friends and so on in just about any country. Most are probably worth a visit. Whether or not you return depends on your interests and your experience.

Thailand has a decent bit of variety in its different regions. Islands, beaches and diving in the South, mountains, forests, trekking, motorcycling and culture in the North, history and ruins in the Northeast, shopping and nightlife in the cities. It is what you make it. Though no longer the cheap destination it was, but Thailand is still far from expensive.

I came to Thailand to work, and have worked three stints each of several years. I visited several times between periods of work here, mainly to catch up with old friends. I cannot really comment from the point of view of a tourist, but people generally seem to have a good experience in Thailand, and many visit several times, for whatever reason.
    Spot likes this.

^Hi Mick, if you hadn't of been offered a job in Thailand, do you think you would have ever come? Or had you been to Thailand before?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^Hi Mick, if you hadn't of been offered a job in Thailand, do you think you would have ever come? Or had you been to Thailand before?
    It was in 1980, and my skills were in agriculture. There were a couple of other possibilities. One in the Pacific Islands, which didn't interest me too much. The other was in the highlands of Papua New Guinea, which I found most interesting, but the outfit that was sending me reckoned Northeast Thailand was the place for me. I knew very little about the place, except that a lot of planes that bombed North Vietnam (and Laos and Cambodia) took off from bases there.

If I hadn't come to Thailand..... who knows? Like one or two of my friends, I might never have left the country I was born in..... and would probably have not really have regretted that. As it is I have travelled to and worked in a few other places. About the only place I could not really get along with was Tokyo, but that may have been the outfit I worked for, more than the place. None the less, from there I landed up in a far more rural setting in Japan for a stint that I enjoyed immensely.

Which I guess reinforces the first paragraph of my previous post.
    Last edited by Mick; 1st May 2012 at 20:26.
    Quarky likes this.

1980... there's a man who would have seen a lot of changes in Thailand... especially in Phuket! Funny where life takes us...

Scotland has good beaches? what a crock of ****e....

We have the BEST beaches here ... just don't let on where I am ... ok karp?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Scotland has good beaches? what a crock of ****e....
    Scotland has some fantastic beaches... you just got to know where to look... ;-)

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    You just need a 8mm thick wetsuit to brave the water temp ! 555
    Quarky likes this.