Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thai gold is better

  1. #1
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962

    Thai gold is better

    Just a quick lesson on Gold

    I have analysed some of my wife's Thai gold (not happy because I melted it to fit in the spectrometer) and all is not what it appears. So very Thai. It is supposed to be 23 K (96%) but this particular sample was more like 18K and alloyed with Copper Zinc & Nickel to give that colour which they so lust after

    For example, alloys which are mixed 14 parts gold to 10 parts alloy create 14 k gold, 18 parts gold to 6 parts alloy creates 18 karat, and so on.

    There are hundreds of possible alloys and mixtures, but in general the addition of silver will color gold white, and the addition of copper will color it red. A mix of around 50/50 copper and silver gives the range of yellow gold alloys the public is accustomed to seeing in the marketplace. A small amount (0.2%) of zinc is added to harden the alloy.

    Pure gold would just wear away or be indented so easily as it is soft. You see in the movies people biting gold to see if it is real or not.

    The most common grades of gold, in addition to pure 24K(Never commercially get 99.6 best), are 22K (92%), 18K (75%), 14K (58%) and 9K (38%)

    The strange thing is 9K is the best alloy for the job.

    Oh and BTW the majority of all the jewellery gold I have ever given Dao is in MIL's safe keeping. It is like money in the bank for MIL. As Dao puts it and thinks over long year it up price better than bank.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  2. #2
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    Jonty,
    Just curious why you would have a spare mass spectrometer lying around, 5555

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Metallurgist my friend. It is not a mass spectro it is an atomic absorption spectro. An argon muncher. It excites the electrons in the n and p obits to give out photons of light at different wavelengths. Then through defection is split up and sent to photo multipliers that covert to a voltage an computer does the rest. Very different to a mass spectro
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  4. #4
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,555
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Metallurgist my friend. It is not a mass spectro it is an atomic absorption spectro. An argon muncher. It excites the electrons in the n and p obits to give out photons of light at different wavelengths. Then through defection is split up and sent to photo multipliers that covert to a voltage an computer does the rest. Very different to a mass spectro
    I had one of them ... never used it much, gave away to Lifeline in Southport. Prolly being used in some homeless refuge to make porridge or wash dirty socks We got another one tho, a pink speccleaner, FREE with Jo's reading glasses. Can put gold rings in it and fill with water, it makes little waves too. Made in China so I don't think its atomic, uses 2 AAA batteries.
    Cilla likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, Victoria, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,170
    Mine is a 2009 model was thinking about upgrading.... Dont you have one Cilla? They are going cheap on Ebay lately... newr Chinese ones are bringing the price down but not sure of quality and how long they will last...

    Actually Jonty I was wonderring why Thai gold was so gold in colour, mine is with Sureeporn so I can't test it here.....

    The colour of the gold i pan locally is more yellow in the light spectrum.....
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

  6. #6
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Mine is a 2009 model was thinking about upgrading.... Dont you have one Cilla? They are going cheap on Ebay lately... newr Chinese ones are bringing the price down but not sure of quality and how long they will last...

    Actually Jonty I was wonderring why Thai gold was so gold in colour, mine is with Sureeporn so I can't test it here.....

    The colour of the gold i pan locally is more yellow in the light spectrum.....
    Mine's still in the mail, bloody Aussie Post.......

  7. #7
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Mine is a 2009 model was thinking about upgrading.... Dont you have one Cilla? They are going cheap on Ebay lately... newr Chinese ones are bringing the price down but not sure of quality and how long they will last...

    Actually Jonty I was wonderring why Thai gold was so gold in colour, mine is with Sureeporn so I can't test it here.....

    The colour of the gold i pan locally is more yellow in the light spectrum.....
    Actually Jonty I was wonderring why Thai gold was so gold in colour, curious

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, Victoria, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Mine's still in the mail, bloody Aussie Post.......


    555555 no flies on you mate, 555
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

  9. #9
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    555555 no flies on you mate, 555
    Now just because I'm in a good mood today, the big 51 today and got a big skype kiss from A last night,5555 fftopic:

    Now Jonty, does the ratio of alloys affect the price by weight and how would a buyer/seller know the ratios to indicate the karates ?????

  10. #10
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Actually Jonty I was wonderring why Thai gold was so gold in colour, curious
    Thanks for your interest... shall I go into correction using a least-squares algorithm for you. 5555555

    Spot is correct in saying elemental Au is more yellow then Thai jewellery.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  11. #11
    RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Thanks for your interest... shall I go into correction using a least-squares algorithm for you. 5555555

    Spot is correct in saying elemental Au is more yellow then Thai jewellery.
    No thats what they invented computers for, 555.

    I take it from that is that elemental Au is the purer form of Gold. The orange gold in Thailand is from the copper alloy added ???

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Now just because I'm in a good mood today, the big 51 today and got a big skype kiss from A last night,5555 fftopic:

    Now Jonty, does the ratio of alloys affect the price by weight and how would a buyer/seller know the ratios to indicate the karates ?????
    Happy birthday... nothing better than a Skype kiss well there is but you will get soon enough.

    There are small inexpensive testing devices that gives an approximation. +/- 2% On a gold ring / chain of a few grams who gives a rats. When you are talking KG's it matters.

    Like anything
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  13. #13
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    No thats what they invented computers for, 555.

    I take it from that is that elemental Au is the purer form of Gold. The orange gold in Thailand is from the copper alloy added ???
    Yep...... Elemental gold is 99.99 % is yellowish. The addition of Cu gives it a gold colour then add more and you get rose gold.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,815
    Very informative JM.
    I can now see your expertise is ...expertise 555
    For a layman, which of the 2 countries gold do you think is more valuable, assuming the same karott?/
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  15. #15
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Gold is gold worth the same all over. London metal exchange sets the current pricing.

    If we are talking gold jewellery it is in the eye of the beholder. 22 K here and Thailand same same price just different colour. The difference is the retail mark up.

    So you have the gold price and the value added crafting it into jewellery price and then the retail mark up.

    Therefore Thai jewellery gold is better value until you want to sell it. Then is it the current gold price.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  16. #16
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Thai version of "Honey I shrunk the kids!".
    "Honey I just spectroanalyzed all your gold!".

    All that old flannel they give you about the 'Workmanship' in jewellery when its a mass produced machine made chain, or stamped out in a factory. Its the second oldest profession, gold tampering.

    Next time we walk past gold shop "Honey gold price go down, we buy now nah?".
    "No honey, only some of the price go dow, I need to do a quick market survey of basket of base metal alloy prices before we call it a bargain".

    Oh, where's the romance?

    OK, now I want to see the prices broken down by the baht:

    14K thai gold = 30,000 1Baht
    18K thai gold = 40,000 1 Baht
    23K thai gold = 50,000 1 Baht

    I like the Dubai Gold souk. Nice big collection of gold shysters there...555

    Just interested Jonty, can you get a portable liquid displacement tester and computer to tell you the exact amount of liquid displaced by say 1 baht of pure gold then compare that with the liquid displaced by your piece of gold according to its stated weight?

    Last edited by Changone; 23rd June 2012 at 14:21.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, Victoria, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Now just because I'm in a good mood today, the big 51 today and got a big skype kiss from A last night,5555 fftopic:

    Now Jonty, does the ratio of alloys affect the price by weight and how would a buyer/seller know the ratios to indicate the karates ?????
    Happy Birthday Nong Cilla from P Spot

    Have a great day Matey
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

  18. #18
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Thai version of "Honey I shrunk the kids!".
    "Honey I just spectroanalyzed all your gold!".

    All that old flannel they give you about the 'Workmanship' in jewellery when its a mass produced machine made chain, or stamped out in a factory. Its the second oldest profession, gold tampering.

    Next time we walk past gold shop "Honey gold price go down, we buy now nah?".
    "No honey, only some of the price go dow, I need to do a quick market survey of basket of base metal alloy prices before we call it a bargain".

    Oh, where's the romance?

    OK, now I want to see the prices broken down by the baht:

    14K thai gold = 30,000 1Baht
    18K thai gold = 40,000 1 Baht
    23K thai gold = 50,000 1 Baht

    I like the Dubai Gold souk. Nice big collection of gold shysters there...555

    Just interested Jonty, can you get a portable liquid displacement tester and computer to tell you the exact amount of liquid displaced by say 1 baht of pure gold then compare that with the liquid displaced by your piece of gold according to its stated weight?

    Why would you try to test in a liquid state???? If you are talking about specific gravity testing. No. The density of pure 24K gold is about 19.3 g/ml, Look at the periodic table not hard to alloy with substitutional elements surrounding it. (Similar weight) Old portable tester used a gel. Containing phosphoric acid and the employed grams to moles to moles to grams theory. Modern is a sectile test is basically hardness verse electrical conductivity. Not hard to fool with the correct alloying elements.


    Oh satire front. Yes I pick it up.

    Romance. Is that possible with aTG. Yes of course it is.

    Our romance consisted of a lesson of buying 100 troy ounces of gold (Dao) and 100 troy ounces of Silver(Jonty)

    For every Dollar the one made over the other favours were in order. After 2 years. I am in favour city. Now that is romance and will be in credit for some time.
    Spot likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  19. #19
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    So just to break this down to simpleton terms..... I buy a ring from shop A for x.... I give to TG who then goes to shop B to sell for Y....
    Surely shop B just weighs and looks at stamp that shop A put on the ring to give TG a price of Y instead of putting it in a spectrometer.... so this original ring would be valued on the current gold price minus a handling fee!
    Spot likes this.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

  20. #20
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399

    This is what I was getting at with the displacement test, probably well out of date?

    The Golden Crown (Introduction)

    Engineers, just like Accountants aren't famed for being Lotharios...555

    The Engineer's Guide to Romance: An Orientation Dating Guide - The Tech

    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •