Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By jontymate
  • 3 Post By Quarky
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob
  • 1 Post By Nomad

Thread: Going to LOS with your Parents ?

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Going to LOS with your Parents ?

My parents are thinking of going to LOS, they have been to Bangkok twice and hated it, only stopovers really, I have showed them many pictures of other places in LOS and they are impressed. I am thinking of getting them to meet me up in Chiang Mai on my next trip, probably January 2013, and showing them around, I want to spend 3 weeks up there and they are talking only 1 week so should have some time so we can show them some of the highlights of CM. Hopefully there impressions of Thailand will change after seeing CM.

Should they stay at the Raming Hotel where I normally stay or should we look for alternative accomodation ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

CM in January will be awesome, they'll love it.

I would not suggest Raming ... area's a bit seedy for oldies. They'd be better off in one of the quiet hotel/resorts like say, Tamarind Village, if price* is suitable. It's right in the middle of old city and easy walk to EVERYTHING. Sunday market is outside on one of the street fronts yet the location is very quiet as set back from the road(s). *(Email and try to negotiate a special rate)

There's 1,000's of hotels in CM ... have a look at the Nimmenhaemin area too: Mayflower Grand Hotel, Victoria Nimmen** etc. Nimmen~ night life is NOT seedy, it's mainly students, and loads of cheap but quality shops and restaurants ... plenty to do on foot, day or night. **(New building - room rack rate is 1200 bt).

Mercure hotel is just north of the moat and we've stayed there many times now as they have HUGE rooms and a superb on-line booking special ~ 800 baht per night. Apart from the quiet, well, appointed rooms, there's a Tops supermarket next door for coffee, beer, snack's etc. Also has good parking and FREE shuttle to Night Bazaar. Everywhere else is a 40bt songtaew ride, nowhere to walk.

Another one, opposite Kad Suan Kaew Central that I'd recommend is Chiangmai Lodge - Lodging Chiang Mai Accommodation Chiang Mai Apartment Chiang Mai Chiang Mai Lodge Hotel Service Apartment Daily accommodation Monthly accommodation
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I have read your recommendation on staying at the Mecure Rob and you were saying you were impressed, sounds like a great hotel, does that price include Breakfast ?

I am the one that suggested the oldies go to CM, I think they will enjoy it and I have been before in January, perfect weather usually in January and many flowers out and about, my oldies luv gardening.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    you mum go for wedding party. I think so

"Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    you mum go for wedding party. I think so

I think you joke me Dao 555

She still has 7 more years to wait for me 555

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I have read your recommendation on staying at the Mecure Rob and you were saying you were impressed, sounds like a great hotel, does that price include Breakfast ?

I am the one that suggested the oldies go to CM, I think they will enjoy it and I have been before in January, perfect weather usually in January and many flowers out and about, my oldies luv gardening.
    Mercure's an older property which is why the rooms are so HUGE ... I swear they have the biggest beds I have ever slept in! Provided you book a NON-Smoking floor, the rooms are clean and fresh. We did not bother eating in the hotel, seldom ever do so in Asia unless all inclusive. You can check breakfast price for yourself here: Hotel in CHIANG MAI - Book your hotel Mercure Chiang Mai

We always bought fresh cut fruit and yoghurt etc from Tops to have for breakfast or went into the Tops coffee shop. If on a budget, Mercure is great and like I've said, quiet and away from night-life, yet just a 5 to 10 minute tuk tuk ride to Kad Suan Kaew, Airport Plaza, Nimmenhaemin Road, or the Night Bazaar area.

I'd look at each one online and let your folks decide from a short-list ... nothing worse than making a recommendation and having it thrown back in your face later.

If it were me, I'd probably go for Mayflower Grand Rooms & Rates as I like the proximity to all Nimmenhaemin restaurants. Mercure is better (cheaper) if you are mobile with own car or a rental.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Did Dao post that video?

She's funnier than Jonty! ....5555555555
    PatongBeachBoy, Rivo and Cilla like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Thanks for your input Rob, you have given plenty of options.

Once the time gets a bit closer and we book I will start emailing Hotels, my parents are old school, travel agents organize their travel, you cant book flights yourself, what if something goes wrong etc?

Thanks for your input Rob, you have given plenty of options.

Once the time gets a bit closer and we book I will start emailing Hotels, my parents are old school, travel agents organize their travel, you cant book flights yourself, what if something goes wrong etc?
    No problem... only too happy to help.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    The honeymoon package at Raming is great value!!! Whilst not on a honeymoon, I booked this package for the extras. And TG got a real kick out of all the flowers on the bed shaped into a love heart, towels folded into the shape of swans, etc. Luckily I explained it before hand!!!
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

How do you feel about your folks being in LOS Rivo? Does it make you uneasy.... or are you looking forward to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    How do you feel about your folks being in LOS Rivo? Does it make you uneasy.... or are you looking forward to it?

Looking forward to it DP, ive got a great Mum & Dad, their 76/77years old now and still very active, they spend 3/4months every year on holidays, they are well travelled and have been to some oddball countries and places, they will luv CM I think, pictures can only show so much IMO

Looking forward to it DP, ive got a great Mum & Dad, their 76/77years old now and still very active, they spend 3/4months every year on holidays, they are well travelled and have been to some oddball countries and places, they will luv CM I think, pictures can only show so much IMO
    Great to see.

You weren't tempted to show them Koh Samui?

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Can either of your parents ride a motocy and are they participating in the inaugural 'Thai Dreaming Tour de Chiang Mai'?

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Can either of your parents ride a motocy and are they participating in the inaugural 'Thai Dreaming Tour de Chiang Mai'?

Neither ride now Norabunga 555, ill have to plan this break the week before my mate meets me over there, still looking good for January though, just day trips or shall we go for an overnighter ?

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    just day trips or shall we go for an overnighter ?
    Dunno. S'pose we better discuss it over a beer or three at the Downunder Pub.

Are you volunteering to be the organiser

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Dunno. S'pose we better discuss it over a beer or three at the Downunder Pub.

Are you volunteering to be the organiser
    Prolly not, but his shout whilst we contemplate roots?
    Norabunga likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    If they are also adventurous then take them to the flight of the gibbon. I did this recently and a mid and early 70's couple were in our group. They loved it.
    PatongBeachBoy likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason