Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus crash - Chiang Mai

Bus crash - Chiang Mai

Yesterday evening a school bus crashed off the road 46 km north of Chiang Mai and rolled down an embankment after colliding with a pick-up.

From Thai-English translation it appears that 2 bus passengers, a teacher and student, died along with a pick-up passenger although from this photo I'd say the driver was probably killed.

Details are sketchy but I believe 40 others were treated for injuries and or hospitalised. The same section of road has previously claimed 21 persons.

Chiang Mai region has the 3rd highest road toll in Thailand after BKK and Korat. Most deaths are 15 - 35 y/olds, with motor-bike/head trauma being the worst contributor.

Since moving to CM I have frequently noted proactive Policing of helmet-use with road-blocks in the city almost a daily occurrence.

I had heard of the 'Digital Policeman' and only just spotted him yesterday ... a lone cop armed with a digi-cam waits at busy intersections and then wanders out among stopped traffic taking photos of mb rear licence plate and helmet-less riders.

Cadet Gold
    Recently there was a young woman killed when a motorcycle and the one she was on collided when returning to the hotel ,the rider nor the pillion as i understand it were wearing helmets i dont know the full reason the young lady died ,but it may have been through just that head trauma ,as she was thrown from the motorcycle .One of my first questions is why ,why dont people were helmets in thailand., would you do it in sydney ,melbourne ,adelaide? no this is why they brought these regulations in because it was the main contributor to road deaths on motorcycles in the 50's ,i have ridden for a good many years and the traffic i have seen in bkk worries me and also the way they ride i think it will be taxi or bus for me .

^I don't understand why people don't wear helmets either Crispy... madness!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Same reason that people do not think it is a problem to get on their bikes after a few beers....

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Recently there was a young woman killed when a motorcycle and the one she was on collided when returning to the hotel ,the rider nor the pillion as i understand it were wearing helmets i dont know the full reason the young lady died ,but it may have been through just that head trauma ,as she was thrown from the motorcycle .One of my first questions is why ,why dont people were helmets in thailand., would you do it in sydney ,melbourne ,adelaide? no this is why they brought these regulations in because it was the main contributor to road deaths on motorcycles in the 50's ,i have ridden for a good many years and the traffic i have seen in bkk worries me and also the way they ride i think it will be taxi or bus for me .
    93% of CM city accident fatalities over the NY festive season were motorbikes. Head trauma is the biggest killer. Several well publicised incidents involved alcohol and/or high speed with riders and (one) pillion slamming into the canal road concrete barrier. Bodies were fished from the canal.

CM Police are very pro-active in helmet crack-down with signage, Digi-cops on major intersections, and frequent road-blocks. It is still common to see bare-headed riders (with up to 7) pillion, some babes in arms, tearing down the highway at 80 kmph and weaving in-out of traffic. Sheer madness!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet Gold
    From what i understand the guy (american) had been at a bar picked up a young lady and smacked into the wall ,she was found but he wasnt found for a couple of days in the canal ,i beleive he had been in country for about 2 days

From what i understand the guy (american) had been at a bar picked up a young lady and smacked into the wall ,she was found but he wasnt found for a couple of days in the canal ,i beleive he had been in country for about 2 days
    There have been 2 recent incidents like that + another 'body found in moat' which appears suss but no vehicle involved.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    That young lady worked at number 1 bar. I didn't know her but she was well known and liked by a few of my mates. Very sad.

I'm convinced all Thai bus and minivan drivers are homicidal lunatics.

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    That young lady worked at number 1 bar. I didn't know her but she was well known and liked by a few of my mates. Very sad.

I'm convinced all Thai bus and minivan drivers are homicidal lunatics.
    Lemon was a nice girl. No 1 bar is similar to KAP in Kamala. Some nice friendly talkative girls that always make themselves known.
    She moved to somewhere in the middle east with the guy last year and they returned to CM together and he hired the big bike and second night out on the town when returning to their resort type accommodation near Hang Dong he went straight into the concrete barrier and both into the canal. She was found fairly quickly near the scene and he was fished out days later a few k`s away.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Lemon was a nice girl. No 1 bar is similar to KAP in Kamala. Some nice friendly talkative girls that always make themselves known.
    She moved to somewhere in the middle east with the guy last year and they returned to CM together and he hired the big bike and second night out on the town when returning to their resort type accommodation near Hang Dong he went straight into the concrete barrier and both into the canal. She was found fairly quickly near the scene and he was fished out days later a few k`s away.
    Always a tradgedy big bikes ,small roads and possibly drink dont mix,it is a shame people have to lose there lives this way ,i have ridden for many years and i to have ridden whilst under the influence (a long time ago) thankfully i am still alive today even through some foolhardy behavior,they wont be the last dont know what the answer is just ride carfull.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Yesterday evening a school bus crashed off the road 46 km north of Chiang Mai and rolled down an embankment after colliding with a pick-up.

From Thai-English translation it appears that 2 bus passengers, a teacher and student, died along with a pick-up passenger although from this photo I'd say the driver was probably killed.

Details are sketchy but I believe 40 others were treated for injuries and or hospitalised. The same section of road has previously claimed 21 persons.

Chiang Mai region has the 3rd highest road toll in Thailand after BKK and Korat. Most deaths are 15 - 35 y/olds, with motor-bike/head trauma being the worst contributor.

Since moving to CM I have frequently noted proactive Policing of helmet-use with road-blocks in the city almost a daily occurrence.

I had heard of the 'Digital Policeman' and only just spotted him yesterday ... a lone cop armed with a digi-cam waits at busy intersections and then wanders out among stopped traffic taking photos of mb rear licence plate and helmet-less riders.
    So what is it about this section of roadway that makes it claim so many lives ? Is it speed ,poor trackion,blind corners there has to be a reason why ,mobile phones are a huge distraction now adays ,just have to answerr that call WHY? if my phone rings i dont even bother about it i am sure the caller can wait 10 mins for me to pull over and stop to answer there call .This is what the police need to look at why is this stretch of road so dangerous .

WARNING > Full story here < WITH PHOTO!
    Cheers, Rob.

^ i read that at the time.I think they later worked out that the incident didn`t happen there but further up stream where the dead girl and bike were found.

My version comes from one of the dead girls friends/former work mates...doesn`t mean it`s accurate though but it seems it was her BF that she met at No 1 and moved OS to be with from the year before.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Always a tradgedy big bikes ,small roads and possibly drink dont mix,it is a shame people have to lose there lives this way ,i have ridden for many years and i to have ridden whilst under the influence (a long time ago) thankfully i am still alive today even through some foolhardy behavior,they wont be the last dont know what the answer is just ride carfull.
    Crispy as I have said many times before, the golden rule is...if you ride at home, don't hire anything bigger than you normally ride, if you don't ride at home, don't hire anything.

Unfortunately because it is cheap to hire bikes in LOS and the holiday mentality, so so many people that have no idea hire a bike. Same with jetskis never ridden one but on holiday so lets do it. At least they only hit water, a bit more forgiving than tarmac.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Crispy as I have said many times before, the golden rule is...if you ride at home, don't hire anything bigger than you normally ride, if you don't ride at home, don't hire anything.

Unfortunately because it is cheap to hire bikes in LOS and the holiday mentality, so so many people that have no idea hire a bike. Same with jetskis never ridden one but on holiday so lets do it. At least they only hit water, a bit more forgiving than tarmac.
    This is so true as we have seen just recently with a young woman being killed when the scooter she was a passenger on was struck by another passing motorcycle ,ive ridden bikes from 200 trail bikes to 1500 vulcan cruisers i think it would be a challenge to ride something like a pcx honda as it has smaller wheels and a different weight distribution but once mastered i think it would be an ideal machine for city traffic and doesnt look to shabby either .

^ a PCX is a piece of pi55 to ride C.

Getting use to the way Thais ride and drive and keeping out of trouble is the hard part.

If minder can make a comment on this it would be good I think.

I learn to driver in Australia. Have many many professional lessons and it cost a lot. Top secret maybe I fail 4 times. This is Ok. Because I never start till I am old.

After I get the card licence. I have much more lessons ok with my children to be professional safe. The lesson are called "Unconscious awareness"

It is just sad that so many people die in Thailand because of driving.

Cadet Gold
    ^ a PCX is a piece of pi55 to ride C.

Getting use to the way Thais ride and drive and keeping out of trouble is the hard part.
    5555555555 so i have heard and seen" but this is a one way street not in thailand"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    This is so true as we have seen just recently with a young woman being killed when the scooter she was a passenger on was struck by another passing motorcycle ,ive ridden bikes from 200 trail bikes to 1500 vulcan cruisers i think it would be a challenge to ride something like a pcx honda as it has smaller wheels and a different weight distribution but once mastered i think it would be an ideal machine for city traffic and doesnt look to shabby either .
    Crispy, if you look at my avatar it is a 1500cc Vulcan the last bike I had. 55555

I hired baby Vulcan's when I was there 600cc as I was worried about riding any scooters. My main concern, apart from me looking like a pimple on a pumpkin due to my size, was I thought in an emergency I would automatically grab the clutch lever which in reality would have been the front break so I could see me going base over apex. Also I like a little power to get out of tight spots.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Crispy, if you look at my avatar it is a 1500cc Vulcan the last bike I had. 55555

I hired baby Vulcan's when I was there 600cc as I was worried about riding any scooters. My main concern, apart from me looking like a pimple on a pumpkin due to my size, was I thought in an emergency I would automatically grab the clutch lever which in reality would have been the front break so I could see me going base over apex. Also I like a little power to get out of tight spots.
    I had the earlier one with the 1.5 on the side cover i removed it filled the holes and resprayed it ,it was the blue and black design ,i have seen a few farangs on them they dont look to bad(cpx) but that is a good point ,also the power as well thats why i hated small trail bikes poor braking and no power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast