Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Canadian sisters died from drinking DEET

Canadian sisters died from drinking DEET

The death earlier this year in Thailand of two sisters from Quebec was caused by drinking a ****tail that contained the insect repellent DEET, an autopsy concluded....

Quebec sisters died in Thailand from drinking DEET - Health - CBC News

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Hmm wonder what the Canadian autopsy results will be...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Who in there right mind would drink something with insect repellent in it, but I have the same thought why people fcuk around with ice and the likes.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I wonder if they knew what was in whatever they might have been drinking?But if it was from DEET it must a fairly powerful poison compared to arsenic etc for them to die so quickly from it?
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 2nd September 2012 at 14:58.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    According to the report, 20-year-old Audrey and Noémi Bélanger, 25, had DEET in their bodies that they had ingested.

Though the chemical is a potentially neurotoxic mosquito repellent, it is used as an ingredient in a euphoria-inducing c0cktail that is popular among youth in Thailand. The drink contains cough syrup, Coke, DEET and ground up kratom leaves, which are a mild narcotic indigenous to Thailand.

Sounds like a dumb thing to do ... but I'd be dead a hundred times over if doing something stupid whilst in Thailand were always fatal.

RIP..
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I wonder if they knew what was in whatever they might have been drinking?But if it was from DEET it must a fairly powerful poison compared to arsenic etc for them to die so quickly from it?
    DEET's active ingredient is a neuro-toxin and when applied externally is quite safe, even in higher than normal doses. Taken internally. absorption is ~ 10x greater and goes direct to the brain. Death is very S.L.O.W.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!