Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Canadian sisters died from drinking DEET

  1. #1
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662

    Canadian sisters died from drinking DEET

    The death earlier this year in Thailand of two sisters from Quebec was caused by drinking a ****tail that contained the insect repellent DEET, an autopsy concluded....

    Quebec sisters died in Thailand from drinking DEET - Health - CBC News

  2. #2
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    Hmm wonder what the Canadian autopsy results will be...
    .

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,222
    Who in there right mind would drink something with insect repellent in it, but I have the same thought why people fcuk around with ice and the likes.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    I wonder if they knew what was in whatever they might have been drinking?But if it was from DEET it must a fairly powerful poison compared to arsenic etc for them to die so quickly from it?
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 2nd September 2012 at 14:58.

  5. #5
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,517
    According to the report, 20-year-old Audrey and Noémi Bélanger, 25, had DEET in their bodies that they had ingested.

    Though the chemical is a potentially neurotoxic mosquito repellent, it is used as an ingredient in a euphoria-inducing c0cktail that is popular among youth in Thailand. The drink contains cough syrup, Coke, DEET and ground up kratom leaves, which are a mild narcotic indigenous to Thailand.


    Sounds like a dumb thing to do ... but I'd be dead a hundred times over if doing something stupid whilst in Thailand were always fatal.

    RIP..
    Life is the unexpected ...

  6. #6
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I wonder if they knew what was in whatever they might have been drinking?But if it was from DEET it must a fairly powerful poison compared to arsenic etc for them to die so quickly from it?
    DEET's active ingredient is a neuro-toxin and when applied externally is quite safe, even in higher than normal doses. Taken internally. absorption is ~ 10x greater and goes direct to the brain. Death is very S.L.O.W.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •