Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Talking about money ...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar

Talking about money ...

Ever notice here in farangland how some people react when you try to talk anything money related with them ... even when you phrase it in general terms ... "that's a nice bike/scuba outfit/wind surfer/camera you have there, what does something like that normally cost?"

And they respond like you just flashed your private parts at them

Whereas in Thailand even virtual strangers will openly talk about their monthly salary and what they are paying/have paid/will pay for anything....

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    try the uk for talking income its a hush hush subject and not done DP ? is it still like that

i dont find that at all here in aus maybe its a west coast thing. although are you talking with friends or complete strangers. Friends here its the 1st thing out of there mouths new car new job whatever

However JK takes it to another level, she drives me a little crazy with everything she sees...how much this , how much that. i will point out a surburb that we havent being to before and its how much house cost here..ummmmmm which house the 5 bedroom with pool or the granny flat..555555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I know you talk about Sydney and minder. Before I say same. First time see jonty mum ask she how many money for house cause I like it so much. She look at jonty with she eyes why I question mark this. Different for rich and poor If have a lot of money you know because not talk about this. Not make sure for some people. Question can be how big you credit card. 5555555555 So many problem for this. I never have.

Good subject to talk about. Enjoy yourself 55555555
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    try the uk for talking income its a hush hush subject and not done DP ? is it still like that
    Yeah talking about incomes is pretty hush hush.... I have no idea what even my close mates earn...

But the cost of bought items... houses, cars, laptops cameras etc.... then price is often discussed...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Most people ask how much because they want one themselves. Why not?
    Many things have a range of prices for the same thing.
    You have to ask around so you dont get ripped off.
    Of course there are those who are just nosy or envious.

I knew an American guy once who used to ask how much everything had cost. His standard answer was always "Boy did you get ripped off!".

Last edited by Changone; 1st September 2012 at 18:21.
    Quarky likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    one of the main reasons i left Sydney...couldn't stand to be stuck at another dinner party with another bore telling me how much his house is worth

Usually how much it is worth if only they had sold it a year ago... 555
    wabbits likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    My experience in Canada is that it is normally safe to ask someone what their hourly wage is, without them getting offended, as long as they are friends. When I am working, I have total strangers ask me how much I make, but then I see hundreds of total strangers every day! Maybe the ones who ask just have no manners! 55555 Generally the way I was raised, I never ask anyone their income.

Same here for gadgets and toys tho, where purchase prices are always discussed. Another big one is cell phone plans, as people like to compare their's against what others pay.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

When someone asks you questions about your income or the value of your possessions that they have no right to know, you should feel free to bull**** them to the max.
    Arliss Michaels likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    What I hate is people who presume that you must be loaded , as in my case because I work 50+ hours week in, week out, and they tend to make it that they are resentful of this. Most of these people don't do fcuk all for work, and when they do they piss it up against a wall. So if anyone of this nature is questioning me I tend to fob them off as it is none of their business. I rarely ask these questions of others myself, my best mates, would not have a clue what they earn, only if they offer the info up themselves which is a rarity. Thats why they are my mates I guess because we are similar.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    one of the main reasons i left Sydney...couldn't stand to be stuck at another dinner party with another bore telling me how much his house is worth
    It's likely not worth any more today than it was 10 years ago... and still devaluing. 555

Aus/NZ in for a bigger (downward) correction soon perhaps ... ??
    wabbits likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    It's likely not worth any more today than it was 10 years ago... and still devaluing. 555

Aus/NZ in for a bigger (downward) correction soon perhaps ... ??
    I keep reading and hearing about this collapse in the Australian Property prices. have read up to 50 -65% will be wiped off ....but still nothing........5 -10% in the very top range maybe.....Now the mining boom is over, again many overseas economists and now saying next year house prices with go pear shape.....

Whilst there is still demand and indeed a housing shortage in Australia, coupled with high levels of immigration........i can't see a downward correction happening.....flat for a while longer yes but any correction will be small
    Last edited by Sydney; 2nd September 2012 at 22:15.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I keep reading and hearing about this collapse in the Australian Property prices. have read up to 50 -65% will be wiped off ....but still nothing........5 -10% in the very top range maybe.....Now the mining boom is over, again many overseas economists and now saying next year house prices with go pear shape.....

Whilst there is still demand and indeed a housing shortage in Australia, coupled with high levels of immigration........i can't see a downward correction happening.....flat for a while longer yes but any correction will be small
    Market is definately down and at least 10% in absolute terms and more in real terms (ie after inflation). Have sold two houses in the past year, and have been looking around again at buying. The only thing holding up prices is a lack of supply at the moment. Have been through places that are 10% off their prices 3 years earlier, thus allowing for inflation, closer to 20% off. Those that have to sell have this experience.

However, people that don't have to sell but want to sell are taking properties off the market as the properties are cash flow neutral (ie rent covering outgoings) and they can't get there heads around selling below cost or below their inflated expectations. Net result, reduced supply.

In a bull market, no-one wants to miss out and bid up prices, in a bear market everyone worries that they pay too much and you see many auctions with only vendor bids.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    ^^ Talking about Melbourne market
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Looking from the outside, NZ and Aus have been largely insulated from the GFC fall-out.

I think the US is in remission or denial mode and the real 'depression' is yet to come as private borrowing and spending is too high. Same in Aus/NZ.

NZ RE values, especially Auckland, have gone crazy. Ex Govt houses selling for record million dollar prices some say is due to returning expat demand.

As a property owner I don't want to lose, but with nett rental return @ less than 3% and no CG what to do?

No buyers.

Wait for 2020 upswing?
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

If you want to know the real value of your property then divide the annual rental by 4 or 5% (Todays return) then do the same with the return you really want overall (Lets say 14 or 15%)

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    If you want to know the real value of your property then divide the annual rental by 4 or 5% (Todays return) then do the same with the return you really want overall (Lets say 14 or 15%)
    The belief that property is always a good investment is..........Cyclic and now is not a good time to be holding.
    I was very unhappy with the return on my last one netting about 13k after all the costs were taken out...As opposed to keeping it and today if I sold it taking a loss in the region of 60k.
    Like my little profit a lot now!
    Providing I could find a buyer.....

Australians have been hardwired to accept the notion that real estate is somehow immune from risk and loss and that simply holding it for long enough will guarantee a return.
    So why doesn't this theory hold true everywhere else in the world?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I agree with Sydney and Nomad's coments.
    as i have said before there won't be any increase in value for quiet some time, depending on location and product.
    One of the problems is lack of confidence in employment security. This may change when we get a federal election.

In general terms, broadly accross Aust. the values are down 12-15% and could face a similar reduction, but i don't believe it will come to that, it does depend on factors governed by overseas actions.

As Sydney said while we have imigration and a shortage of housing, prices will be held, as despite what happens elsewhere, we still need to have a roof over our head, that roof more and more is being shared with other family or friends.

Once the election is over, doesn't mater which way it goes, everyone will get back to business and create some confidence, this will give a quicker turnover of property and even though the prices may not rise, it will slowly start to pull them up.

As for the mining boom being over, I don't think it is really. Yes there is going to be some slowdown from China but India is coming onstream big time. There is a lot happening with gas as well so we will have to see.

The other hurdle put infront of people thinking of selling and buying again is all the cost's, you tear up many $$ and if there is no capital gain then it's coming out of you savings/pocket.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Australians have been hardwired to accept the notion that real estate is somehow immune from risk and loss and that simply holding it for long enough will guarantee a return.
    So why doesn't this theory hold true everywhere else in the world?
    But we are immune to what goes on overseas because we are different.........
    Things change economies shift people have walked away from property here in the past as it was no longer tenable....As it has happened is happening now elsewhere at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast