Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Building Your Thai Holiday Itinerary with meaning

Building Your Thai Holiday Itinerary with meaning

When taking trips to Thailand do you base the whole vacation around sitting on the beach and soaking up the sun? Nothing wrong with that of course. Perhaps you base it on good food and seeing the sights.

This week the post is based around building an itinerary around your interests and passions. What do you enjoy to throw in to the mix when you visit Thailand and where in Thailand do you most enjoy to go.

10 Ways To Build Your Thailand Holiday Itinerary With Meaning engagingthailandtips Blog

Sight seeing for me and in the evening trolling bars and restaurants.
    I am no-one in Australia and a VIP in Thailand. I pick the latter.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Really good article, giggsy. This is pretty much the way I plan my holidays. I have 7 weeks holidays per year, and I really want to get the most out of them.

Most of the points I really agree with, tho "learning a new skill" really does not appeal to me at all while I'm on holidays. Obviously, tho, it does to a LOT of people, as Cooking Courses are consistently ranked high on the list of "Things to Do" in Thailand on sites like Trip Advisor. For me, that would just be a brutal use of one of my precious holidays ... cooking??? 555

Everyone is different, tho, and each person approaches a holiday with different goals. There are some who want to come to Thailand strictly for the nightlife, and sleep through the day, party all night and every night, and go back home in a semi-drunken haze with very blurry memories about what they actually did. If that is what makes them happy, then they should go for it, but I like to be able to recall and savour each and every day.

Thailand is such a big and diverse country, with such a fascinating culture, that I want to take as much of that in as I can, and still have time to enjoy the nightlife. Maybe that is why I like Thailand so much, because you can tour all day long, but then at night the cities really come alive. For me, a lot of the enjoyment is in the planning. I have months to fill between trips, so why not do it by really working out what I want to do, look for the best tours, the best guides, the highly recommended hotels, etc. I have always been suspect of the person who says, "Oh I always stay at Such-and-Such Hotel ... its great! ... you should stay there." I like to do my research and read review sites like Trip Advisor, which has reviews on hotels, restaurants and activities/tours. Agoda is also a great site for hotel reviews.

I am budget conscious, but not where it sacrifices comfort or convenience. I will splurge a bit if I can save half a day, because time is the most precious resource when I am on holidays. So unless it is an experience I want to have ... like taking a trip on a train in Thailand, for instance, I'll fly. The same with tours ... if I have waited 9 months to get back to SEA, why do I want to go through the agravation of joining a Group Tour when I can book a great private tour for just a few hundred baht more. You see more, learn more, move faster, and are not slowed down by grossly fat "Ethel" with the bad knees who moves at a snails pace and never, ever shuts-the-hell-up!!! I am serious ... why put up with that crap when on holidays? Private Tours in Thailand are cheap, and hardly make a dent in the budget. When I do go with a group, its usually a specialty tour, and I've really researched it carefully. Simba Boat Tours comes to mind, who work with small groups of up to 12, and do trips to Phi Phi Islands, Phang Nga Bay, etc, and are totally first class.

Sometimes I just like to make a "3-Week Millionaire" type decision, simply because I can! 555 For example, why ride the bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, when you can hire a private car to take you there more quickly and in far more comfort .... and for just a few dollars more, especially if you cost share with a friend.

Finally, hotels are a huge part of any trip. I've experimented a bit, and even did somewhat on my last trip, but find that what I really like is a mid-priced hotel of really good quality. I don't like spending over $100/night, yet still want a place that is well kept up and does not have that "old and tired" feeling. The Jasmine in Pattaya was an experiment on this last trip. I knew it was an older, bargain hotel, but it had fantastic reviews on both TA and Agoda, yet I found it just a bit too tired. I like to feel that I'm "treating myself" a bit with where I stay, yet keep the price in the moderate range. It is very possible in Thailand, which abounds with great hotels at really good prices.

I am still over 2 months away from my next trip to Cambo & LOS, but I am already starting to work out in my head where I'll be going for the two trips in 2013. The possibilities are endless and something awesome to look forward to!
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

We all plan trips different, depending on what we want out of the journey or destination.

I enjoyed the bus trip PP to SR but would do different 2nd time around, perhaps private car or enter via Poipet....
    The bus was excellent for having a great vantage point, sitting up top at the very front, we saw everything.

Re hotels:- check TripAdvisor's actual number of reviewers, and if very low, ignore! Also, read the actual reviews and ignore ones from ONE-OFF reviewers. Narrow it down to a short-list and then ask for comments from a forum such as TD or Thai Visa. I have just done this to locate a hotel in Hanoi for my son's honeymoon ... found a real gem too!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    We all plan trips different, depending on what we want out of the journey or destination.

Re hotels:- check TripAdvisor's actual number of reviewers, and if very low, ignore! Also, read the actual reviews and ignore ones from ONE-OFF reviewers. Narrow it down to a short-list and then ask for comments from a forum such as TD or Thai Visa. I have just done this to locate a hotel in Hanoi for my son's honeymoon ... found a real gem too!
    Great advice on the use of Trip Advisor ... I give most cred to people with at least 10+ reviews to their credit. I have not sent many pm's to other members, but I have received a few about reviews I've written, so that is another handy way to cross-check. Also, tho I find threads of hotel reviews on forums a bit across the board ... some like super-economy digs, while others like staying at top end hotels ... it helps to find someone who seems to have roughly the same taste in hotels, and ask for their personal take. Good example of this, when I was determined to check out of the Jasmine onthe last trip, and found Areca Lodge booked right up, I sent a pm to DP who recommended Pattaya Bay Resort, which I found just perfect ... good quality but not overpriced, and in a decent area. Also, as I mentioned, Agoda also has a great review section following each hotel, so that also works well ... tho there are no reviews for hotels that do not use the Agoda booking service.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]