Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Free wifi is expanding

  1. #1
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662

    Free wifi is expanding

    Used this in Isaan, very fast! All the more reason to buy a tablet

    BANGKOK, Dec 15 – The government’s free wifi service will cover 80 per cent of the country by May next year, according to the Information and Communications Technology Ministry (ICT).

    ICT Minister Anudith Nakornthap said the ministry was allocated a new budget of Bt831 million to expand the free wifi coverage which is currently available at 200,000 spots nationwide ......
    Free Wifi Spots To Be Expanded Almost Nationwide: Thailand - Internet, computers, communication, technology - Thailand Forum
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  2. #2
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    Well i was right annoyed in BKK we stayed at Imperial Queens Park on soi 22 can you believe only free wifi in the lobby.........Never even thought to ask as it has not been a question I have need to ask..Wifi in the room....Silly me.
    .

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Once again technology moves ahead of the game.
    Wired internet is just about redundant as so many "Connected" devices don't use it any more than a public phone booth.
    When I can stay in a tourist place in Thailand for 750baht a night with free 24/7 unlimited wifi and I won't accept any less now. No wifi? OK, how about you take off 100THB per night?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  4. #4
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Once again technology moves ahead of the game.
    Wired internet is just about redundant as so many "Connected" devices don't use it any more than a public phone booth.
    When I can stay in a tourist place in Thailand for 750baht a night with free 24/7 unlimited wifi and I won't accept any less now. No wifi? OK, how about you take off 100THB per night?
    Frightening to think what we'd do without it! As Wabbits said it's become so entrenched as the 'norm' in Th hotels, even more so elsewhere in SEA, that we get very annoyed when not available.
    This new free hotspot Wi-Fi system is being rolled out all across the country and only requires a monthly 'renewal'. Goes to show how cheap it really is to provide such data services once the infrastructure is in-situ.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  5. #5
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,517
    ..and meanwhile back in Oz, I've recently had 200 dollars plus a night hotels in Sydney and Brisbane still want to charge an extra 30 or so dollars a night for a slowish cable connection ....
    Life is the unexpected ...

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, Victoria, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,170
    Its something that I have noted minder et al. The cheap mobile phone vs here, the free wi fi most places I was in LOS...

    I have given the tablet to S she is far more proficient at using it than me and a friend put the thai keyboard on it... If it is so damned expensive here why is it so readily available in LOS?

    I also read some where about the undergrounding of cabling going on in LOS so maybe the birds nests of wires on poles everywhere will dissappear, yet here especially in Bushfire prone areas as recommended by the coroner it is too expensive to undergound our aging electricity infrastructure???
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

  7. #7
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    ..and meanwhile back in Oz, I've recently had 200 dollars plus a night hotels in Sydney and Brisbane still want to charge an extra 30 or so dollars a night for a slowish cable connection ....
    Here i take my own hot spot where ever i go.

    Up country was good as clinics and hospitals all have free wifi.
    .

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Beechworth, Victoria, Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Its something that I have noted minder et al. The cheap mobile phone vs here, the free wi fi most places I was in LOS...

    I have given the tablet to S she is far more proficient at using it than me and a friend put the thai keyboard on it... If it is so damned expensive here why is it so readily available in LOS?

    I also read some where about the undergrounding of cabling going on in LOS so maybe the birds nests of wires on poles everywhere will dissappear, yet here especially in Bushfire prone areas as recommended by the coroner it is too expensive to undergound our aging electricity infrastructure???
    Population density? sure.. But we pay taxes? I dont have any knowledge of the Thai taxation system, or where the money comes from for infrastructure projects...
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

  9. #9
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    What is internet coverage like in different places in Thailand?
    ie better in CM or Phuket?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  10. #10
    Cadet Bronze bobdown48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brizzie
    Posts
    71
    Here am I 30 minutes from Brisbane and the Gold coast in Oz and still on Ipstar Satelite dish coz nobody can do better.....unbelievable!!

  11. #11
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,662
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdown48 View Post
    Here am I 30 minutes from Brisbane and the Gold coast in Oz and still on Ipstar Satelite dish coz nobody can do better.....unbelievable!!
    Jimboomba area from memory? It sucks huh ... in a theoretical 1st World country.
    Remote Isaan villages now have wifi or cable. Not uncommon to see peasant farmers driving (walking) cattle back to the baan in the evening whilst talking on an iPhone.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  12. #12
    Cadet Bronze bobdown48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Brizzie
    Posts
    71
    Yep.Jimboomba sleepsville......mate of mine lives in a small village in Ubon Ratchanthani..(think thats right) has high speed internet better than mine...ridiculous. Supernetworks coming.......2015 if we are lucky...only ten years behind..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •