Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: 25% of Si Sa Ket drivers drunk

25% of Si Sa Ket drivers drunk

We were in the baan last year when family arriving by coach were maow maow after a night of partying all the way from BKK. Even the bus driver was drinking!

This report from Si Saket is hardly surprising, though very frightening >>> 25% of Si Sa Ket drivers drunk | Bangkok Post: breakingnews

Nearly one-quarter of the drivers stopped at police checkpoints in Si Sa Ket province on Thursday were drunk, officials said on Friday.

A total of 1,844 people were charged with drunk driving on Thursday during inspections of about 7,500 vehicles, said the provincial office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM).

Suksan Boontohsang, the chief of the provincial DDPM office, said that 1,713 people were arrested for not wearing motorcycle helmets and 3,935 were arrested for driving without licences.

During the busy New year travel season when accident risks increase, he said drivers and motorcyclists need to strictly follow the traffic laws.

People should rest immediately if they feel fatigued or drowsy, and should never drive under the influence of alcohol.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I find that hard to believe only 25% seems low.55555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Bear in mind the cops can't be everywhere and this was just the organised police check which turned up the results. At other times I would bet the number is higher as people still see getting pulled over as an inconvenience which may see them out of pocket a few hundred baht, nothing more. Helmet and licence checks have long been regarded as a local revenue boost. Why should drink driving be seen as any different? We lost a member of our family to a road accident this year. If a change in attitude could somehow be brought about it would save lives.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

And that was just the 1st day ...
    The centre said that as many as 314 accidents took place on Thursday, causing 33 deaths and injuring 322 people.
    Around CM the digi-cops are out in force and fines are sent in the mail to those who run red lights or ride without a helmet. Not so much tea-money made around here but in Isaan ... a different story ...
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I wonder if a further few % at least found the money to not be defined as drunk?