Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Thailand

Newby

Southern Thailand

Ran across a few articles on the militants attack in southern Thailand. Didn't realize it got that serious. It's part of life in the southern Philippines. But was surprised at the intensity of it all. Any advice for casual travellers like me?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    I wouldn't go near it, apart from 10 miles above.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Good reply Brio !!!! I didnt know how to respond .. But that would be my preferred way as well i think
    !qq!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Apparently one of the highest risk border crossings in the world.... even more dangerous than the Khyber Pass.

I know it has been on the Australian travelers website as a high risk area for as long as I've been going to SE Asia.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Newby
    Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll steer to the north!

Cadet Gold
    When i was in mindanou ,any bus travelling out ok ,any bus travelling into davoa city stopped everyone searched for bombs by armed infantry soldiers .read on the news site here about 4 thais being executed in east rayong ,hmm guess living by the beach aint a good idea

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Just an observation from Ban Na San just south of Surat Thani.

S's flats were full of Thais including right next door Muslim Thai's. I came away with a bad attitude toward them. Sawadee Khup and total ignoring of me and Courtney, other flat renters shared food and smiles and Wais. the Muslims looked at me like I was dirt and wouldn't acknowledge me or Courtney at all...

Previously I have stated I havent met a Muslim I haven't liked but this lo can go f##K themselves. Who the hell do they think they are....
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

But the thing is. When you meet a family you don't like... do you say... Those "Christians" or those "Buddhists" treated me like dirt...? We usually aren't specific about their religion. So why do we call them "Muslim" rather than just "that rude family" next door?

Not saying they weren't rude Muslims. But they were probably just rude people too...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    When i was in mindanou ,any bus travelling out ok ,any bus travelling into davoa city stopped everyone searched for bombs by armed infantry soldiers .read on the news site here about 4 thais being executed in east rayong ,hmm guess living by the beach aint a good idea
    Got a link for this - sounds odd for the southern insurgency - nowhere near Rayong?.

Grayspirit - google a map of Thailand.
    There are only 3 or 4 risky far south border provinces and 1 or 2 near the northern borders.
    There's a helluva lot of fun to be had in between.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ where`s the Northern ones?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Got a link for this - sounds odd for the southern insurgency - nowhere near Rayong?.

Grayspirit - google a map of Thailand.
    There are only 3 or 4 risky far south border provinces and 1 or 2 near the northern borders.
    There's a helluva lot of fun to be had in between.
    i dont know zab but i was sure it said rayong ,as this was one place i was interested in maybe i have it wrong ,i know there are futher south and about some temple in the north

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    But the thing is. When you meet a family you don't like... do you say... Those "Christians" or those "Buddhists" treated me like dirt...? We usually aren't specific about their religion. So why do we call them "Muslim" rather than just "that rude family" next door?

Not saying they weren't rude Muslims. But they were probably just rude people too...
    Maybe rude poeple,or maybe had a bad experience with farang previously .

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Maybe rude poeple,or maybe had a bad experience with farang previously .
    I agree. Could be any number of reasons for people's behaviour... not necessarily related to what Gods they believe in. That's all I am saying. When I am a rude bugger.... it aint because I am an Atheist... it's because I aint perfect... 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    News Ferret has had a number of links to trouble in the South including teachers being murdered etc.
    There was also a cane worker killed as he got of his bike arriving for work.
    I'm not sure of the locations.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ... do you say... Those "Christians" or those "Buddhists" treated me like dirt...? We usually aren't specific about their religion.
    No, but the unfortunate reality is that many do. Religion and sexual preference are the biggies.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    This is fresh from the Sunday Telegraph tonight.

Two die, 18 injured in Thailand blasts

AAP
    February 17, 2013 8:13PM

Increase Text Size
    Decrease Text Size
    Print
    Email

A SERIES of blasts in a town in Thailand's restive south has killed two people and wounded up to 18, authorities say.

The latest incidents, which began with two fire bombings of shops in Pattani on Saturday night, came just days after a major attack on a Thai military base in the insurgency-plagued region.

In total, three bombs have exploded in the provincial town since late Saturday, while police said four more devices had been defused, in the latest attacks to rock the Thai south, where thousands have died in nine years of deadly unrest.

A blast around noon on Sunday in the centre of Pattani killed a local security volunteer instantly, police said.

Hospital staff said another defence volunteer later died of his wounds, while about 18 people, including civilians, were wounded.

Thailand's southern provinces near the Malaysian border suffer almost daily gun and bomb attacks by shadowy groups fighting for greater autonomy.

More than 5500 people, both Buddhist and Muslim, have been killed in the bloody conflict since early 2004.

On Wednesday, scores of heavily-armed gunmen stormed an army base in the neighbouring province of Narathiwat but the Thai military repelled the assault, killing 16 militants in one of the most deadly incidents of the insurgency.

Members of Thailand's security forces and civilians accused of collaboration with the authorities are frequently targeted with ambushes and roadside bombs.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    No, but the unfortunate reality is that many do. Religion and sexual preference are the biggies.
    It is. And nationality. Look how we lump all the Russians together.... and I am guilty of this.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Members of Thailand's security forces and civilians accused of collaboration with the authorities are frequently targeted with ambushes and roadside bombs.
    Go back 20 odd years and these headlines were very similar in Northern Ireland... same, same but different?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    They always say 'restive South' ... that sounds calm to me.
    Why dont they say 'restless'??

The problem provinces in the South are near the Malaysian Border . They are Pattani , Yala and Narathiwat .

Satun and Songkla to a lesser extent. Ive driven around these 2 without any problems.

A large amount of traffic crosses the borders . It was a long time ago , but I caught the train across the border with no problems

It is unneccessarily alarmist to act like you wll face any real danger crossing this border along with thousands of others every day.

Is it dangerous to cross the Thailand/Malaysia border by land? - Yahoo! Answers

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/digita...nteractive.pdf
    Last edited by Chob; 25th February 2013 at 01:17.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ where`s the Northern ones?

The Royal Thai government continues to fight drug smuggling along its border with Burma. Heavily armed drug smugglers routinely have deadly clashes with Thai Border and Narcotics Police in these areas. Persons wishing to travel to the border areas should check with Thai Tourist Police.

The Cambodian–Thai border dispute began in June 2008 as the latest round of a century-long dispute between Cambodia and Thailand involving the area surrounding the 11th-century Preah Vihear Temple, located in the Dângrêk Mountains between the Choam Khsant district in the Preah Vihear province of northern Cambodia and the Kantharalak district (amphoe) in the Sisaket province of Northeastern Thailand. According to the Cambodian ambassador to the United Nations, the dispute began when about 50 Thai soldiers moved into the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara pagoda vicinity located in Cambodia's territory at about 300 meters from the Temple of Preah Vihear.[7] Thailand claims that demarcation has not yet been completed for the external parts of the area adjacent to the temple itself which was judged to be Cambodian by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in 1959.[8] By August 2008, the dispute had expanded to the 13th century Ta Moan temple complex 14°20′57″N 103°15′59″E 153 km west of Preah Vihear, where Cambodia has accused Thai troops of occupying a temple complex on Cambodian land. The Thai foreign ministry had denied that any troops had moved into that area until several were killed there in April 2011.

Cross border clashes between the Karen and the Burmese Army.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast