Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car camera - extra insurance!

Car camera - extra insurance!

The Hi-lander is ready for a 2,000 km trip, next week, and we've installed a windscreen mount mini HD video camera for added insurance.

Few days back a m/b ran a red light and crossed our bows, passing between us and a car in front, missing both by a miracle and prompting this purchase.

I bought locally for 1200 Bt, but this is the same product: > LAZADA <

The camera can support up to 32gig storage (via SD card) equal to 6 hours of HD vid or 20,000 5mB stills or 400 hrs of audio. Programmable video capture in files up 10mins duration and will over-write once card is full.
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 28th May 2013 at 15:24.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Make sure you tell the BIB to smile when they pull you over!....
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    After seeing the spate of idiotic driving captured in Russia with these cameras i`m seeing it as a practical idea around the roads of LOS.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 23rd February 2013 at 20:16.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 17th July 2013 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
    I got one somewhere that is similar, but has GPS tracking and g shock sensor in it. So it will track you trip and you can look at it on google maps and also records speed. The g shock records any event where a g force shock is involved such as sudden braking or impact. It automatically saves the footage 20 seconds before the shock in a seperate folder.

They are really good insurance and just for recording your trip.
    I've seen more sophisticated units advertised, probably cheaper to buy in Oz than here. This cheapie unit has an IR motion detector which would be ok for car park or street hit and runs provided the camera is pointing the right way...

It come with a Nokia cell-phone battery pack (and car power supply) which means I can have spares, always charged, for either car or phone.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

record the tips you give to BIB as well... for tax purposes... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    record the tips you give to BIB as well... for tax purposes... 555
    Tips? Tax? ... tea money? Got that one covered pretty well
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Looking good KR. I've been holding out for the technology commerce cartel to deliver something cheap, user friendly, effective and easy to use. I'm going to check it out.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I've seen more sophisticated units advertised, probably cheaper to buy in Oz than here. This cheapie unit has an IR motion detector which would be ok for car park or street hit and runs provided the camera is pointing the right way...

It come with a Nokia cell-phone battery pack (and car power supply) which means I can have spares, always charged, for either car or phone.
    Hi Rob,

For anyone who is interested I buy a lot of gear from these guys in China, they also offer free shipping. They sell just about anything you could want and cheap. Free shipping took about 28 days to Australia, but you can pay a few dollars fro express shipping.

Here is a link to their car DVR's

Cheap HD Digital Video Recorders Camcorder for Cars at Dealextreme - DX

Plenty of decent looking stuff at a good price but hard for me to see what would be best for using here in LOS...any ideas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    The Hi-lander is ready for a 2,000 km trip, next week, and we've installed a windscreen mount mini HD video camera for added insurance.
    Where did you get that one from KR?

Would be nice if it mounted to a helmet too

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Much of the Russian vids actually capture the camera/car owner being the idiot.
    Have the Russians not heard of braking?

Id be interested in one of these as well , WITH the sat nav maybe.
    Darn cheap.
    Not sure if it would have helped you Rob if the green light wasnt in the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Where did you get that one from KR?

Would be nice if it mounted to a helmet too
    Icon Plaza upstairs have them in stock. No reason why you couldn't attach to m/b or helmet although there may be better suited models.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Much of the Russian vids actually capture the camera/car owner being the idiot.
    Have the Russians not heard of braking?

Id be interested in one of these as well , WITH the sat nav maybe.
    Darn cheap.
    Not sure if it would have helped you Rob if the green light wasnt in the frame?
    Testing today showed up a few points: REC on highest HD setting only; ensure no reflection on windscreen such as dash mat/ciggy packet etc; sun shroud (hood) to protect lens from glare would improve pic. Otherwise, it does show a fairly wide-angle across an intersection and playback on PC was good, even with medium reso tested. Enhancement would easily show T/L colour and read rego plate numbers.

This is a real cheapie... there's obviously better on market but I thought I'd start here... only 1200 Bt after all.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    These are generally accepted as the best for helmet mounting but work well in cars too.

These are what Blokesworld use to record their motorbike road trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    These are generally accepted as the best for helmet mounting but work well in cars too.

These are what Blokesworld use to record their motorbike road trips.
    A lot of guys around CM use GoPro cameras for recording from their bikes with great results...usually chest mounted the best.
    Last i heard they were available here.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    GoPros are obviously more expensive than Rob's 1,200 baht camera but they are acknowledged as the best action camera available at the moment. You can get some amazing clips from them.

I think I'm gonna get myself one for my birthday.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Hey Moo, Chest mounted? We had the best result with helmet mounts and they did withstand the occasional bashing from a branch off a tree and the ocassional get of ours were mount on the side of our lids, not the tops so you get an actual eye level view. All riders watching our vids were leaning or leaning and ducking thier heads in the tight stuff vids.

Helemt mounted at eye level aslo gave you exactly what the rider was seeing, ie turn around an look behind or look at the view etc.

Cheers China,

Great Idea KROB good luck on the trip.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Hey Moo, Chest mounted? We had the best result with helmet mounts and they did withstand the occasional bashing from a branch off a tree and the ocassional get of ours were mount on the side of our lids, not the tops so you get an actual eye level view. All riders watching our vids were leaning or leaning and ducking thier heads in the tight stuff vids.

Helemt mounted at eye level aslo gave you exactly what the rider was seeing, ie turn around an look behind or look at the view etc.
    ^ that`s just the thing the head moves all around the place while the chest is straight on all the time and doesn`t get the same jolts on the bumps.

Some samples from one of my mates up here.

I picked up one of these cameras for the car the other day.

By my estimation a 16 GB SD card in the camera will record roughly 4 hours of vid. 140 MB files (highest HD resolution) divided into 16 GB = 117 files x 2 mins = about 4 hours.

I`m running a 2 GB SD card i had at home in it and if something happens i can take it out and put the 16 GB in it which i will keep in the glove box.....sound about right?

Is it possible to kill the audio on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast