Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hua Hin ??

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar

Hua Hin ??

I have been away from here for a while, spending most of my time and energies on other things. We have enjoyed a couple of trips to Vegas/USA during the last year.......but now, guess what, Thailand calls again.

I have booked flights for October to BKK and haven't made any firm plans about our destination yet. We fancy something different this time and as my 18 year old daughter is also coming with us, it will be different, thats for sure. 555.

We are seriously thinking about Hua Hin / Cha-am area this time. Anyone on the forum with any helpful info about hotels, best area for bars, shopping ,massage etc.
    Not looking for a 5* hotel or a giant Hilton , but somewhere in the centre, close to the beach, with a nice pool. Any ideas?
    Annie.

VanGuy spent time in Hua Hin not too long ago, but he's in LOS at the moment. One of his trip reports talks about the hotels he stayed in while there...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Hey Annie. nice to have you back !!

I am sure someone here has being and can help.....or try PI...5555 just kidding
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Hi Annie - I stayed at thipurai city hotel Christmas 2012 and it wasn't bad. The pool wasn't resort quality but did the job. The plus is, it's in the heart of everything and not bad for what they charge. The only issue I had was no free internet in the rooms - you had to buy time.

The next Soi over (Binta) I think it's called, has all the bars and you can always get a ****tail or 2 after hours across the road next to the Hilton - all within a 100 metres of the hotel.

Hope that helps a little.

Tex.
    Good times are a coming - 3 months until touch down in LOS !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Stayed at the Ibis in Hua Hin a couple of times. I have stayed at many ibis hotels around the world, and this one is definitely the best, and great value for money. However, it is about 2km south of Hua Hin, which is not ideal as no cheap transport and away from any activity.

I have also stayed at Veranda Resort and Spa Cha Am, but a long way from Cha Am. I have only visited Cha Am for the day. My guess is that it is way too quiet for most.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    somewhere in the centre, close to the beach, with a nice pool.
    The Hilton may well be worth a look as it is in the location you are looking for.It also has the after hours FL disco on it`s premises.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 3rd April 2013 at 15:05.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

I have stopped off in Hua Hin for a couple or three days several times, and would do again. It is more a "genteel weekend out of Bangkok" kind of place than "party central for night-owls".

Quite small, you can meander your way around the main shopping and bar area (more or less between the railway station and the beach) in a couple of hours...... more or less depending on what takes your fancy as you wander. Arriving by train from Bangkok seems to be a good way to start the Hua Hin experience; not quick, but in keeping with the place.

There is a variety of accommodation available in central Hua Hin, from fairly fancy to fairly basic; all reasonably priced. Most times, outside peak periods, I doubt that booking would be required. I stayed in a simple room near the end of a pier, but checked out a few other places.

There are more flashy lodgings and a shopping mall a bit away from the centre; you really need transport to access them, whereas around the market and bar area Shank's pony is fine. Bars are low key, mostly quite small and quite friendly. Enjoy a drink, play pool, make friends, find company if that's your fancy; they are not pushy.

On my visits I have rented a motorcycle and explored out of town, enjoying less frenetic traffic than in some other parts of Thailand.
    Last edited by Mick; 3rd April 2013 at 15:06.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I always find it difficult when trying to find out about a new destination, but after many questions and enquiries we tend to get it right.

I assume that the Hilton is the hub of the area, with the main bar area across the road. There also seems to be plenty of boutique style small hotels in the town. Boutique style can mean many things, not all good.555.

I have been told the beach at Hua Hin is ok but its more of a long stretch beach rather than a pretty cove. Also the water is not that clear, but a trip to the beaches south of here well worth it. More research called for. Annie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Hilton is right in the middle and has a good pool. Bang Saphan about 2 hours further to the south has some much nicer and cleaner beaches.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I'd vote for the Hilton as well if you get get it at a reasonable price....

proximity is perfect....everything is on your doorstep....nice pool area and they keep the beach at the front clean there as well....which is a big problem in HH....especially from pony droppings

IMHO the sea quality is very poor in HH so you may well prefer to spend your time by the pool

Yes I can believe the water quality in HH is not that good. It seems to be the same near any large built up areas in Thailand from what I have seen. Patong beach was poor and from the Amari Hotel we could see the water changing colour as effluent was added daily, normally early in the morning. yuk. Pattaya was very dirty and god knows what is floating around in the bay.555
    For sea swimming I guess we will have to travel to other beaches further south, but for sunbathing, HH will do me fine. Annie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I always find it difficult when trying to find out about a new destination, but after many questions and enquiries we tend to get it right.

I assume that the Hilton is the hub of the area, with the main bar area across the road. There also seems to be plenty of boutique style small hotels in the town. Boutique style can mean many things, not all good.555.

I have been told the beach at Hua Hin is ok but its more of a long stretch beach rather than a pretty cove. Also the water is not that clear, but a trip to the beaches south of here well worth it. More research called for. Annie
    HuaHin litterary means "stone head" and the reason for the name is the rocks on the otherwise sandy beach.. Not to good to walk in to the water, many (including myself) hurt themselves..
    These stones have been cleared in front of the Hilton.. and stop south of HuaHin, so you have about 8 km of sandy beach towards Kao ta Kiap (monkey rock, worth a visit!)..
    Water is OK, but the beach is not spectacular..

Downtown is small, and though there are many hotels, none (besides the Hilton, Sheraton and some more of the large ones) have large pools or a decent pool area.. Rooftop pools and small pools are there, but I can't help you there..
    If you don't go for the nightlife and like some relax by the pool time, go expensive (Hilton is great, but 7000 bath per night if not in a package deal) or go a little further outside the centre..

If you travel with a family, my suggestion would be to rent a house, condo or villa...
    There is plenty of choice, from really cheap to very expensive, but when you need a few rooms it works out better value for your money in any case..
    When I travelled with my kids I stayed at Baan San ploen (spelled different on different sites!), had a 3 bedrrom / 2 bathroom appartment with fully equiped kitchen and livingroom with DVD etc. for 24000 bath / week.. (2 bedroom is cheaper)
    15 min walk from downtown, 10 min from Market village, which answers your question about the best shopping..555
    Nightmarket (daily) is also a must for a stroll, a bite and some touristy shopping..

Cha-am is similar to Huahin, but much smaller, less bars, no after hour area (everything closes at 1 am).
    The boulevard / beach is very nice though, clean as well..

Whatever you decide, Huahin is nice to visit, but nothing like Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok!

Enjoy!

Thankyou RakThai for your reply. I haven't really given much thought to a condo/villa but I will check on a few of the rental websites to see if there is something suitable. The more I read about HH the more I think I will enjoy it there. Not so in your face as Patts and Patong, but if you look hard enough you will find what you want there. A visit to Cha-am and some other the other towns south of HH is also in our plans. Annie

Well we have decided on a smaller, newish hotel on the beach front just south of the Hilton. Its got a nice pool and it comes recommended. We will probably spend a week in Hua Hin, then venture on a day time train trip to Bangkok and stay there for a few days.
    I am not sure where to base ourselves in BKK (last time we were in Soi 11). I don't want to be too far from the fun and massage parlours, but I want my daughter to see some of the sites too. Plus I don't want to get recognised. 555. Annie

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^ If you want to stay near the oily massage parlours in BKK, try around Phrom Phong near the Emporium.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    My kids liked the Kaosan road area, walking distance to wat phra Keauw, Wat Po and the royal palace, close to the river where you can take a boat..
    Area has many restaurants, bar and massage places..
    But, all in a backpacker kind of setting.. No adult night life..

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    ^ If you want to stay near the oily massage parlours in BKK, try around Phrom Phong near the Emporium.
    Yes Bawdy, on our last visit we walked around some of the Soi's in that area and also went to the Emporium shops. (expensive).Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Yes Bawdy, on our last visit we walked around some of the Soi's in that area and also went to the Emporium shops. (expensive).Annie
    Did you like the fountain just outside? If you stand near it when it fires up... you get a nice local fountain breeze which cools you...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

We enjoyed the whole mall experience in BKK. I was really surprised at the quality of shops there and also at Central World. They are as good as any shopping malls I have seen on my travels, including the US. Some of the brands are well out of our price range and it is window shopping only, but it doesn't cost anything to wonder around and enjoy the attractions. Annie

I've just been looking on another site and saw some pictures of the old railway station in Hua Hin. It seems to be very active there with trains running all day, and the actual station is a bit of a tourist attraction on its own. It may bring out the train spotter in me yet. 555 Annie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast