Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Sonkran yes or no

Cadet Bronze

Sonkran yes or no

This is not my video just off youtube, I've never been but dont really think it would be for me. seems great fun for the kids though. what do you guys think do you fancy it or have you been.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Two days max and it is fine, anything else is overkill IMO.

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    If only you could watch it without getting wet....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    It is a great party! As long as you want to play along and participate, it's good fun..
    Only if you had enough, need to do something or have to go somewhere not Sonkram related...
    That is impossible.. and a good party becomes terror..

The problem is when it stretches over five or six days like it does in some places.. But it is something to experience at least once.
    As long as you are prepared to join in the festivities and get a little wet.

I think I could handle maybe 5... or 6 minutes.... that would be enough... 555

Seriously, I could not go to Songkran... I WOULD kill someone....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I think I could handle maybe 5... or 6 minutes.... that would be enough... 555

Seriously, I could not go to Songkran... I WOULD kill someone....
    You would be too drunk to... 555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Been involved in Songkran only once in a tourist area (Patong) and hated it ... too many farangs trying to throw powder or water on people who clearly don't want to be involved ... just too many drunken d:ckheads running around making it impossible to really relax and enjoy yourself ... did I mention I hated it...

Been twice now to a Thai area in Bangkok near the in-laws and had a great time both times ... would go back any time .... the Thais respect the rules and non-participants can walk thru the mayhem carrying food and children with no fear of being assaulted because it is obvious they are not currently playing water games ....

That said, give it a try once - you could still have a great time

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    I find devoting(or avoiding) my whole day to ANYTHING is tedious, much less a week. That being said, one day of 'the world s biggest water fight' is a bucket list thingy...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    First time I have experienced it was this year. Was a lot of fun and good to share with kids also.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Been involved in Songkran only once in a tourist area (Patong) and hated it ... too many farangs trying to throw powder or water on people who clearly don't want to be involved ... just too many drunken d:ckheads running around making it impossible to really relax and enjoy yourself ... did I mention I hated it...

Been twice now to a Thai area in Bangkok near the in-laws and had a great time both times ... would go back any time .... the Thais respect the rules and non-participants can walk thru the mayhem carrying food and children with no fear of being assaulted because it is obvious they are not currently playing water games ....

That said, give it a try once - you could still have a great time

Enjoy...
    Yeah, I might try it in a Thai-only area... but it's the farangs that would put their own safety at risk if I were about...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Done Songkran a few times , first time in Pattaya for all seven days ( too much for me .. ) the last day was brilliant though , twice in Patong , the second time I slipped on the wet tiles and smashed my head on the base of the GoGo pole ( sober ... ) in Bar Louis , Soi Crocodile ended up with three stitches and having to wear a shower cap for the rest of Songkran ... The worst experience was arriving in Bangkok on the 19th April and jumping in my taxi to Patts , journey took me one hour to Pattaya and five to my hotel ....

So for me it's fun for a couple of days , any more is too much

Cadet Bronze
    A couple of replies sounded like i would be 5 or 6 minutes would be enough before wanting to kill somebody (but would be to drunk), and would proberley slip and crack my head. Not seen any figures on deaths yet i think most years there are a lot most from moterbike accidents.

The best way I found to experience it was to find a favourite bar where you can retire to the back and out of the action when you need to take a break and just watch the action.. And then shoot out with your loaded water cannon and squirt that real hot TG in the tight top, before returning to the safety of your bar stool and cold beer..
    It just gets difficult to do that for more than a day or two at the most.

Cadet Bronze
    I'm 50 & well past my party days but really enjoyed an hour or 2 during the afternoon sitting in Blue Lotus opposite Soi Crocodile and played the game a bit then retreated behind the plastic for some sanity breaks. Later in the evening was up in the little patch of bars that has the Sailor bar & Irish bar out the front watching the bar girls have a ball, rules up there was no water in the actual bar but the path between them was fair game. This suited me as you could venture into the madness in short bursts but you could not go for a piss without going through the middle of the water fight.
    All in all a good party but if you have chosen to venture into Bangla Rd you have commited yourself to at least play the game as a target. I was staying at Patong Rose guesthouse which between McDonalds & Burger King on the Beach Rd, I found I could walk down the beach side of the beach Rd and stay relatively dry, even managed a couple of beers with some freelancers that had grabbed some beers & a bag of ice from 7-11 and set up shop using an esky from one of the closed beach bars.

Summary great street party but pick your exposure to your tolerance level.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Yeah,boring as...

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by MickM View Post
    Summary great street party but pick your exposure to your tolerance level.
    Exactly. It can be great fun if you are prepared to join in. But if you think that it is not your scene stay well away...

Cadet Bronze
    The true Festival;

April 13th -- Wan Sangkhan Lohng. People clean their houses and prepare for the new year festival on this day.
    The Chiangmai Songkran parade traditionally takes place on this day involving revered Buddha images from the city's temples, floats,
    representative groups from the various districts of Chiangmai province, one of my favourite places to be at this time, musicians, and traditionally costumed beauties all of whom are liberally
    drenched all along the parade route by the spectators.

April 14th -- Wan Nao.
    On Wan Nao people prepare cooked and preserved food to be used in Buddhist merit making on the next day. On this day people also go down
    to the Ping River to collect buckets of sand which is used to construct mold sand chedis, decorated with cut paper streamers and flowers, in the
    temple compound. When demolished, the sand from the chedis raises the level of the temple courtyard.

April 15th -- Wan Payawan.
    On this, the first day of the new year, people gathered at the wat in the early morning to offer the food prepared the previous day, fruit,
    new robes, and other goods to the monks. Traditionally this was the day when subdued water play started, but this has devolved to the exuberant
    water throwing that stretches over the four days of the festival.

April 16th -- Wan Paak Bpee.
    On this day people pay respect to their ancestors, elders, or people worthy of respect due to advanced age or senior position. Scented water
    is poured over the hands of the individuals being paid respect who in turn bless the participants in the ceremony.

The overenthusiastic water play in which visitors to Chiangmai heartily participate on their first experience in Chiangmai represents a development of customs
    relating to the celebration of the Thai lunar new year. In some people's viewpoint it has become excessive and many prefer to remain at home
    with a good book or a video rather than expose themselves to a daily drenching.

In the past people might sprinkle a bit of scented water on your shoulder to wish you a happy new year, but this has deteriorated to getting dowsed with a bucket

of ice water by an individual on the back of a moving pickup truck.

One of the important customs of the festival was to pay respect to elders and persons worthy of respect by pouring lustral water over their hands in the ceremony
    called rod naam daam hua. Family members and subordinates will approach those who are to be honored during the ceremony with a vessel called a khun oh

containing water that has been scented with dried flowers, cumin, and other ingredients. Participants in the ceremony then pour a small amount of this lustral water

over the hands of those being paid respect into a large red lacquered bowl while saying formal words of respect. Those receiving respect were also presented with

an indigo-dyed traditional mor-hom shirt, the multipurpose length of plaid cotton call a pakamah, and other items.

A representative of the participants in the ceremony will then address the elders receiving respect asking them to excuse any disrespectful
    attitudes or misbehavior by the participants in the ceremony during the previous year. The elder would then dip his or her hands in the lustral
    water and rub them along the sides of his or her head while blessing the assembled participants in the ceremony.

Finally, the entire group goesto the temple for a seub chadta, or ‘life prolonging' ceremony. Later, there emerged the habit of gently sprinkling scented water on the

shoulder or back of friends as you wished them Sawasdee Pee Mai (Happy New Year!). From these humble beginnings has now evolved the
    current practice of the liberal and vigorous throwing of water; drenching, soaking and dowsing any and all who venture forth during the
    four days of the Songgran Festival, from morning until sundown.

No one is immune, not even the participants in the traditional Songgran parade,which ends at the official residence of the Governor of Chiangmai, nor the governor himself,

who gets drenched when he and his wife address the assembled sopping-wet marchers at the conclusion of the parade.

Nowadays the focus of Songkran has become the wholesale water play throughout the four days of the event. It is a wet and wild Songkran
    water throwing. Inside the city limits water play is restricted to the official days of the festival, but rural children dowse unwary motorcycle riders at country road

intersections for as long as two weeks in the days surrounding the festival.

The gentle customs of former times have changed, or even gone ballistic in the present day Songkran festival. Come on get into the spirit of things. Get wet, "keep
    a cool heart" as the Thai say, and enjoy one of Thailand's more frenetic, fun festivals.

I found this on another web site not my work, but have heard similar but in less detail. I wonder what some of the old folk in the villages would think about some of the goings on in the toursty areas.

Yes..... for the village style Songkran I experienced not long after I arrived in Thailand for the first time many years ago. First everyone went to the temple, and washed the Buddha images. They also respectfully poured water over the hands for the elders. After that there was a bit of a low key free for all among people who knew each other.

OK...... for strangers to have a more raucous free for all, along with a few drinks, in areas closed to traffic.

No...... to god's drunken gift to mankind dancing out and sloshing large amounts iced water in the face of a passing motorcyclists.
    Last edited by Mick; 22nd April 2013 at 14:03.