Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Bangkok Noir Edited By Christopher G. Moore: A Walk On The Darker Side of Bangkok

Bangkok Noir Edited By Christopher G. Moore: A Walk On The Darker Side of Bangkok

On the Engaging Thailand Tips Blog today I review the book
    Bangkok Noir Edited by Christopher G. Moore

Not only is Bangkok Noir full of short stories, but you have12 different internationally known Thai and Western authors who each pen a... short story.
    During the introduction I was informed by Christopher G. Moore that I was about to meet some unpleasant characters. These came in the form of dodgy lawyers, corrupt cops, transsexuals, minor wives, killers and ghosts to name but a few. Further to them were hitmen, call girls, thieves and money launderers. Twelve terrific stories by terrific authors.
    Bangkok Noir Edited By Christopher G. Moore: A Walk On The Darker Side of Bangkok | engagingthailandtips Blog

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    On my last trip back from LOS (oh so long ago) , I purchased three books to read on the plane home and later

1. Jasmine Fever - which i thought was terrible and not very well written
    2. Thai Girl - An enjoyable read with some education into a relationship with a TG
    and 3. Bangkok Noir - which as Giggsy says is an array of short stories, some I found good.

The best two for me were Death of a Legend by Dean Barrett and The Lunch That Got Away by Eric Stone
    Last edited by Arliss Michaels; 24th April 2013 at 18:29.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Thanks Arliss, I too enjoyed Thai Girl by the way. The two stories you mention in Bangkok Noir I agree were excellent. I must admit to enjoying at least 75 percent of them. I have never read Jasmine Fever though and sound like not much point then either.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    The only book I read on LOS was Private Dancer 555

I've also come across Daughter of Isaan and read the first few pages. It's a lot like Private Dancer I believe. Not as well written but I think the story might be interesting.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Good read for those that like fiction.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Yes
    some other Thailand books
    Poke Rafferty series,set in BKK by Timothy Hallinan..( bangkok Noir )I like this series..some different sides of Thailand I don't see.

Thai Lottery set in Patts..simple almost like a TR not much new..but some good twists...enjoyed more than I expected.

Killing Plato,laundry man,big Mango,A world of trouble By Jake Needham....Hi So Bkk and Phuket

Permanent Damage,Sky train to murder by Dean Barrett ( bankok Noir)

Best of asian erotica..short stories...well written..some funny..different authors

Guy
    It is get to know some books about or happening in Thailand

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I read a book that I really enjoyed... it is titled "The last Executioner". It chronicles the life of the author, Chavoret Jaruboon, who, as the title suggests, was the last official executioner in Thailand.

It takes you from his young days, as a new prison officer right up until the execution by gun was stopped in Thailand.

Not light reading reagrding subject matter wise, that is for sure, but is very interesting.... He tells his story, and the story of the some of the people he has executed, in a way, that is really easy to read.

It is worth a couple of hours

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Do they not have the death sentence in Thailand anymore?
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Do they not have the death sentence in Thailand anymore?
    still have it. might be hangings or injections rather than shootings anymore, not sure

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    still have it. might be hangings or injections rather than shootings anymore, not sure
    2009 was last execution I believe

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    2009 was last execution I believe
    true but they still had the law as at dec 2012

Experts call for end to death penalty in Thailand - The Nation

How about this one

poo.jpg

Some delightful recipes in there. 555.

But seriously some decent books are written by John Burdett, crime novels with Sonchai Jitpleecheep as the lead.

And another of merit: Welcome to Hell - Colin Martin A story of one mans survival in the notorious Bangkok Hilton.

I think its hard to find good well written novels that are based in Thailand

Yes
    Just read Bangkok Eight by John Burdett ( Bangkok Noir) really enjoyed it.
    He writes really well,
    I think there is a lot of material for a book for anyone who has spent some time in Thailand.
    but a lot of the books by westerners are not that well written although they can be quite enjoyable to read.

He is one of the best writers in this genre.a great understanding of Thailand ,complex characters,poetic writing,and a good sense of humor.