Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: picking fruit from a tree

WARNED MEMBER Cadet

picking fruit from a tree

i go to patong - some fruit trees grow from the sidewalk/walkway/ pavement--
    i went to pick a ripe mango from a tree, aim(my thai g/flein) said "cannot!-- i said why cannott? she said "cannott"
    end of
    maybye a more learned expat can throw some light on the subject?
    i,ll never understan the thais

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    It is stealing. You must do this in darkness when no one can see you.555555555555555
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    i went to pick a ripe mango from a tree, aim(my thai g/flein) said "cannot!-- i said why cannott? she said "cannott"
    end of
    Dats because fruit tree belong to other peeple. like jonty say it,s steeling. So you gotta steel at night also if you pay them they;ll let you steel. but thats just thais for ya.

WARNED MEMBER Cadet
    seems odd though,theres hundereds of fruit trees in the forests yet you can,t take any
    i,ll have to go to big c and buy some like i always do!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    It's the same as Big C just fresher.... You should be paying a premium!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    seems odd though,theres hundereds of fruit trees in the forests yet you can,t take any
    i,ll have to go to big c and buy some like i always do!
    Even in a forest someone will lay claim to them as most Thais live hand to mouth but you were talking about Patong?.
    I spend a lot of time out in the forests and wilderness and just when you think you`re way out back someone always seems to pop up and if there`s a laden fruit tree or 2 around they`ll know exactly where they are how many on it.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Even in a forest someone will lay claim to them as most Thais live hand to mouth but you were talking about Patong?.
    I spend a lot of time out in the forests and wilderness and just when you think you`re way out back someone always seems to pop up and if there`s a laden fruit tree or 2 around they`ll know exactly where they are how many on it.
    That's because they have already stolen the forestry/national park land 55!

In Phuket any Thai shop renter considers the footpath and road in front of their shop to be their territory.
    If there's a fruit tree there, it's theirs 555!

end of
    Just re-read this - maybe "cannot" because it was ripe? 555!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    About two or three days after Mrs M first moved here to Oz with me I came home to find she had picked every grapefruit from the tree in our backyard (about 5 buckets worth) because she was sure someone would steal them if we left them on the tree.

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    About two or three days after Mrs M first moved here to Oz with me I came home to find she had picked every grapefruit from the tree in our backyard (about 5 buckets worth) because she was sure someone would steal them if we left them on the tree.

Enjoy...

Did she learn green grapefruit are not like mango or papaya? 555!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    It is stealing. You must do this in darkness when no one can see you.555555555555555
    Ah, but that comment brings back fond memories of when I was a kid. I had the whole neighbourhood mapped out and knew were every fruit tree and garden plot was. I would get up bright and early before dawn and go on a hunting and gathering mission. I never took too much from any one place so nobody would know I was there. I made friends with every nasty dog in the area and they all loved me because I brought them biscuits. MY mother always wondered why I wasn't hungry for breakfast during the fruit season. I loved fresh peas in their pods and baby carrots.

While riding my motorbike on trails in Thailand I've come across bananas and mango trees, but the fruit is usually too green for picking. We picked a hand of bananas one time but it took about 3 weeks before they were ripe enough to eat.

We came across this great LOOKING fruit tree, but found out that the fruit is not edible.

I thought this was breadfruit, but I never tried any. They were kind of rough like Durian, but without as many bumps.

These mangos weren't quite ready to be picked. Unlike Thais, I don't like green mangos.

There was a lovely orchard right across the road from my hotel, but the following year they cut it down and built a bunch of those cheap row buildings with the slide down door on the front.

I love my fruit and for a few dollars in Thailand I can buy enough to keep me happy..

I'm not sure what these were, but they looked like pomegranites. In any case they were too green to pick.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ i don` mind some of the fruit fit for plucking from Loi Kroh road occasionally
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ i don` mind some of the fruit fit for plucking from Loi Kroh road occasionally
    At least the ones on Loi Kroh are obvious which are worth plucking. There are more than a few that are past their best before date.

WARNED MEMBER Cadet
    thanks for repys i,ll post pics soon

Cadet silver
    I saw a few nice melons I would like to pick yesterday!

" I really like those peaches - wanna shake that tree"

Some how I think we are talking about different things... 5555

For mine there's something wrong with this "fruit" ...