Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Kata & Karon seem empty (May 2013)

Platinum

Kata & Karon seem empty (May 2013)

Just rode back from Chalong through Kata & Karon this afternoon and we have never seen it so quiet and we are often here at this time of year.
    Any one familiar with numbers at this time of year have any ideas or opinions?

Not complaining, there was enough road room to actually lean the bike a bit.

Cadet Gold
    I go to Karon on Tuesday. I haven't been there in the low season before, but I'll share what I see when I get there.

I spent a day in Karon and Kata in June 2009... it was dead then...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    It is dead in the afternoon, but the nights are not so bad. It was actually crowded in one bar and in another, I saw 4 girls getting bar fined.

Yes
    I spent a few months there 2010 and 2011,it was very quiet,rooms that are 1500b a night go for 500/600, In 2010 the Ratana hotel on soi Centara charged 2500 B a night high season and 9000b a month low season.
    That can give you an idea of the difference in numbers.I really liked it low season,Much more enjoyable.

Spent 2 weeks there high season this year,the demographic had really changed,way less Scandinavians and much more chinese and russians.

Also vey few girls working in the bars compared to a couple of years ago.

Banned
    Phuket is pretty lame anyway. I've been in sept, oct, nov and patong was busy, karon/kata still plenty around. Maybe this year is quieter but that's a good thing because the beaches had become so crowded and resorts overpriced.

Just got back from Pattaya and some places were pretty quiet but there did seem to be plenty of people around, mind you they were mainly Russians (guys and their g/f's or wife's or 2 girls together ...???), also plenty of Chinese parties all following the tour leader holding the 'flag on stick' - always a problem when 2 or 3 groups suddenly meet ......55555.
    Quite a few Indians as well though mainly family groups and didn't see them out much at night ..!!!
    All the signs in Patts are now in Thai and 'Russian' which is very different from years gone by when they were in Thai and English .....555
    We had a great time however and took in some sights I had not seen even on my many other visits, probably cos I was single then .....whaaaaahaha
    Had a suit and 4 shirts made at Brioni Fashion Taylors at the bottom (beach road end) of Soi 7, and the service, material and fittings (3) were excellent and I would definitely recommend them to all BM's - the price was 8000baht, and as the material was a lightweight Cashmere/Wool blend the price was really good - bear in mind though it was during the Low Season.
    Bought the wife to be a wedding ring and a 1baht bracelet which made her very happy (she's a Philippina for those who don't know)
    We stayed at the Sunshine Hotel in Soi 8 in the new Tower wing and it was excellent (remember the place Chobby .....???) and the whole package deal through Expedia NZ was NZ$1480 each for return flights (Malaysian Air - excellent) and the hotel for 15 days which was very cheap from NZ. Next time we're thinking of going to Chiang Mia for a change.
    Went to 'Sensations' GOGO a couple of times and it was packed out, mind you the girls were all very attractive .......555
    My Fiancée had quite a bit of dental work done at the small dentist just up the Soi from the Hotel - 2 caps and a bridge on her back teeth, 1 cap on a side tooth, 2 root canals, a large re-filling and a complete clean - all for the cost of approx. NZ$1500, would have cost over NZ$5000 here in New Zealand so basically paid for the cost of the holiday.
    All in all we had a great time, drank a bit, ate lovely Thai food, shopped till I dropped and saw all the sights - cant wait 'till next time .......
    All who wander are not lost