Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai Trots, Delhi Belly, whatever you want to call it

Platinum

Thai Trots, Delhi Belly, whatever you want to call it

It's common and can make for a few uncomfortable days if you don't get something for it and it can ruin part of your holiday.
    The good news is it is really easily fixed.
    If you feel uncomfortable and have even a hint of wanting to throw up, my advice is get down to the Thai pharmacy, most of whom have an english speaker, but even if they don't you can easily mime chundering and the other end as well, and they'll give you a short course of pills that will sort you out in about 4-6 hours to allow you to continue on enjoying yourself.
    They are really good.
    They don't work if the chundering is alcohol induced.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    It's common and can make for a few uncomfortable days if you don't get something for it and it can ruin part of your holiday.
    The good news is it is really easily fixed.
    If you feel uncomfortable and have even a hint of wanting to throw up, my advice is get down to the Thai pharmacy, most of whom have an english speaker, but even if they don't you can easily mime chundering and the other end as well, and they'll give you a short course of pills that will sort you out in about 4-6 hours to allow you to continue on enjoying yourself.
    They are really good.
    They don't work if the chundering is alcohol induced.
    The sight of customers in the chemist shops playing a sort of Charades game to try and get the assistant to understand you have a dose of the sh1ts or how you have been throwing up all day, would be a sight to behold I think.
    But the main problem is that if they do not work on Alcohol induced conditions, that the products would be deemed useless to about 99.55% of board members here 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    What I do like about LOS is you can go to Pharmacy and get prescription pills without having to go pay a doctor first, like here.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Had a terrible case of the 'runs' travelling from Chiangmai to Chiangrai and up to the golden triangle. Bloody stupidly tried to shake it off with no medication. But after around 3 days of it with no end in sight the TG I was with got a bunch of magic potions from a pharmacy and fixed me up within the hour.

Yeah the no prescription thing is handy.

Platinum
    Tyrion
    That's the worst, having to travel while ill.
    The thai pills are magic if you have to get on a plane.
    The cost for this last bout was around 150 baht including one of those revolting tasting electrolytes.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    The sight of customers in the chemist shops playing a sort of Charades game to try and get the assistant to understand you have a dose of the sh1ts or how you have been throwing up all day, would be a sight to behold I think.
    But the main problem is that if they do not work on Alcohol induced conditions, that the products would be deemed useless to about 99.55% of board members here 5555
    Chelski
    These thai chemist assistants are pretty darn quick to catch on, believe me.
    reading your post I let my mind wander as to what some of the conversation/miming that must go on in the chemists shops in Bangla Rd and Walking Street
    Some of the sights going in there are frightening enough.

As to alcohol induced, the thought of being ill in a sqat loo is enough to keep me to a fairly moderate intake

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Have had to use a squatter in desperation a few times, as better than "cacking the daks."

I must say my aim is true
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Have had to use a squatter in desperation a few times, as better than "cacking the daks."

I must say my aim is true
    It wouldn't have been if you were recent post-op from your knee recon 5555!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I alway bring Imodium instants with me , plus Dioralyte sachets.

When the Diarrheoa hits and you are travelling alone , I couldn't imagine leaving the hotel room to find a Pharmacy , just incase the grumbling starts .... so i just sit where i am and if need be call housekeeping for additional toilet roll.....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I stock up on the electrolyte sachets when I am over as they are cheaper in LOS than at home..They are good for before and after a drinking session, a bad stomach, dehydration (I often go for a long walk and do not take in enough water) And I use them to replenish after I have had a jog in LOS as I do lose so much more liquid there from sweat.
    Imodiums as you say, are in the toiletry bag as well.. But I have needed to go to the local pharmacy on one trip and they sorted me out at very little expense.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I must be lucky but I've never had a bad stomach in Thailand to date. don't eat any shellfish but everything else tends to agree with me. Carry some Imodium anyway.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    TBH , I think I've only had proper food poisoning once in Thailand , my first trip to Samui , it was coming out of both ends at the restaurant , luckily the sink and toilet were close to each other .... other times I think it's been the alcohol which has eventually taken it's toll on my stomach ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Thai Trots, Delhi Belly,... the curse of the farao, Motezuma's revenge, Bali belly...
    Love the names, but let's be clear what these names are aimed for..

travellers diarhoea is a bacterial infection of the intestine, caused by a bug called E. Coli.. And yes, this is quit common..
    But, about 90% of what is called travellers diarrhoea is not that.., but something else..

Most common causes are:
    Dehydration, heat stroke, jetlag, alcohol abuse, lack of sleep, sudden change in diet..

Symptoms are the same, so who will tell you what's going on..
    But i would suggest, start tratment according to likelyhood..

Drink plenty.. of water, no alcohol...
    sleep as much as you need..
    Stay out of the sun and out of the sea when you first arrive...

Don't use Imodium (especially when it is bacterial, you would leave these bacteria in your bowels to freely reproduce..), unless you have to sit is a bus, train or plane..
    Use ORS, but salted crisps and Coca Cola is a much tastier alternative..
    If the craps last 72 hours (3 days), then you should consider antibiotics.. Really not before..
    What antibiotics.. I would go for Azythromycin 1000 mg once only..(also easier with the drinking..555)

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    TBH , I think I've only had proper food poisoning once in Thailand , my first trip to Samui , it was coming out of both ends at the restaurant , luckily the sink and toilet were close to each other .... other times I think it's been the alcohol which has eventually taken it's toll on my stomach ...
    I had that... woke up on the bathroom floor, after blacking out... with vomit and sh1t all over me...not pleasant... no alcohol either... just pure food poisoning... oysters I think... TG slept through it all... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I had that... woke up on the bathroom floor, after blacking out... with vomit and sh1t all over me...not pleasant... no alcohol either... just pure food poisoning... oysters I think... TG slept through it all... 555
    You really think so?? She just did not want to take care you...555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    You really think so?? She just did not want to take care you...555
    I know... that was the end of her... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar

Most common causes are:
    Dehydration, heat stroke, jetlag, alcohol abuse, lack of sleep, sudden change in diet..
    I agree 100% there.

When i first moved here the first 3 months without being sick just couldn`t lay a solid chain. Definitely a lot of alcohol but more than likely a change of diet and or just different bacteria in food from living in a different country and hemisphere was the cause.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I just take one Buscopan which acts specifically on abdominal spasm.
    This allows you to clear without the projectile effect.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Most common causes are:
    Dehydration, heat stroke, alcohol abuse, lack of sleep,
    Symptoms are the same, so who will tell you what's going on..
    But i would suggest, start tratment according to likelyhood..

Drink plenty.. of water, no alcohol...
    sleep as much as you need..
    Stay out of the sun and out of the sea when you first arrive...

Don't use Imodium (especially when it is bacterial, you would leave these bacteria in your bowels to freely reproduce..), unless you have to sit is a bus, train or plane..
    Use ORS, but salted crisps and Coca Cola is a much tastier alternative..
    If the craps last 72 hours (3 days), then you should consider antibiotics.. Really not before..
    What antibiotics.. I would go for Azythromycin 1000 mg once only..(also easier with the drinking..555)
    The funny thing is that on the three occasions over the years where I have had an issue, I have thought that heat stroke and dehydration may have been part of the cause.. As on each occasion I had been out for a very long wander during the day and had no more than one small bottle of water with me.. (Once was after participating in a Hash Run)

Got a spat of the Thai Trots during my last visit. Lasted 12 hours but when something like that happens, I tend to let my body rid itself rather that plug it up with over-the-counter drugs. Lasted about 12 hours and I lost count of how many times I ran to the toilet, think it was between 15-20. I stuck to crackers, water and Gatorade most of the day and was out drinking by night time, albeit only a few drinks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast