Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life Insurance vs Sin Sot

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Life Insurance vs Sin Sot

we were having a chat about sin sot in another thread and i brought up life insurance.

why don't more people use life insurance as an alternative to sin sot?
    Thai's certainly have it with each other

i always see sin sot sort of split right in half. some give it, some don't
    if you are comfortable giving it, good for you, as long as it is reasonable

but if guys are not that comfortbale or flat out don't believe in it, why don't they think about life insurance?

the good thing about life insurance is you can increase it as you go
    seems harsh to put it in vested terms, but it is a smart way

when i 1st got married, i partially switched over my life insurance beneficiaries from my brother/sister to them all splitting it and now have started to change it to leaving my wife now 75% of the one provided for work and also added an additional that is only here as beneficiary

i just felt life insurance allows her to "earn" it ( for lack of better term) than sort of buying the marriage( some people's views)

there is always a sin sot debate, but this is a different aspect of it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    But if things don't work out.. You can simply change it back, can't you?
    So no security in any way.. Unless you die.. Dangerous move..555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    But if things don't work out.. You can simply change it back, can't you?
    So no security in any way.. Unless you die.. Dangerous move..555
    i see your point that the girls have to put some trust in it ( what a novel concept, the girl has to take a leap of faith, not just us mugs 55)
    but in sin sot, there is no protection for the guy

so if the girl REALLY LOVES you and is doing it for the right reasons, she really shouldn't object. right?
    because the reason given for sin sot is protection for the future but if you are providing it by way of life insurance, then you ahve provided that protection
    but the only thing is showing off an insurance policy at a wedding or being able to brag to her friends is not as easy or sexy as sin sot. which i believe it the biggest drving factor on why girls want it, IMO

1)Sin Sot- there is zero protection for the guy
    2)Life Insurance- there is partial protection for the girl

but if you also know them well enough and been together for a good amount of time before being married, they may be able to trust that you would take care of them in a divorce
    i will be married 5 years come Monday
    if my wife and i got divorced for any reason besides her chaeting on me, i think she knows me well enough that i would take care of her
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 8th June 2013 at 06:17.

Fair enough...

Although I had the priveledge, Cough..cough.. ^%#%(&*@.., to experience divorce..
    Speaking only for myself.. I was absolutely flabbergasted in the way things changed.. Nothing left of the mutual respect, openness, honesty or whatever values within our marriage..
    My story, but I have heared a few others..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    for the girls
    but in sin sot, there is no protection for the guy

so if the girl REALLY LOVES you and is doing it for the right reasons, she really shouldn't object. right?
    because the reason giving for sin sot is protection for the future but if you are providing it by way of life insurance, then

1) there is zero protection for the guy
    2) there is partial protection for the girl

but if you also know them well enough and been together for a good amount of time before being married, they may be able to trust that you would take care of them in a divorce
    i will be married 5 years come Monday
    if my wife and i got divorced for any reason besides her chaeting on me, i think she knows me well enough that i would take care of her
    If you turn it around ...

if a guy really loves his partner and had decided to get married , then why hold back .. The traditional wedding vows say something like "with all my worldly goods I thee endow" why does that not apply

Will you amend the policy to 100% if you decide to have children together

No personal experience with marriage myself

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    If you turn it around ...

if a guy really loves his partner and had decided to get married , then why hold back .. The traditional wedding vows say something like "with all my worldly goods I thee endow" why does that not apply

Will you amend the policy to 100% if you decide to have children together

No personal experience with marriage myself
    no, when i have children, they will have their own seperate life insurance policies

i am actually not against guys giving sin sot. i personally didn't
    but it is sort of like, how big of an engagement ring are you comfotable giving a western gf.
    all preference
    i've just never heard this discussion before

But within western relationship it is just not an issue.. Because it is regulated by law..
    Marry in the west, and you know you will have to provide even is the marriage is gone..
    Have children and they will stay your financial responcibility, even if you don't get to spent time with them..

Thai lady I met in december, had a 2 yo daughter, French father, French pasport..
    Relationship of 5 years, she had visited France 4 times.. Got pregnant, delivered in France..
    But The French dad lost interest, when she was more focussed on the baby, didn't want to go, wanted to spend more time in the baan..
    And he left her with nothing.. No support, even though there is a legal obligation..

Back home, I contacted a lawyer friend.. He said it would not be easy with different country laws, but would be a straight forward guaranteed win..
    She declined.. Not want to fight..

But within western relationship it is just not an issue.. Because it is regulated by law..
    Marry in the west, and you know you will have to provide even is the marriage is gone..
    Have children and they will stay your financial responcibility, even if you don't get to spent time with them..

Thai lady I met in december, had a 2 yo daughter, French father, French pasport..
    Relationship of 5 years, she had visited France 4 times.. Got pregnant, delivered in France..
    But The French dad lost interest, when she was more focussed on the baby, didn't want to go, wanted to spend more time in the baan..
    And he left her with nothing.. No support, even though there is a legal obligation..

Back home, I contacted a lawyer friend.. He said it would not be easy with different country laws, but would be a straight forward guaranteed win..
    She declined.. Not want to fight..
    i have to say, and no offense to anyone on here, but i here scenarios like this all the time with French guys
    they are always fcuking off on their tg's....espeically when the kids come

555.. Good point!.. But I have heared horror stories from Thai girls with many farang nationalities...
    And right or wrong.. This means all Thai girls know these stories..

So although you mean good with your solution on life insurance, I doubt any Thai girls (or her family) will see this as an adequate alternative for sin sot..

555.. Good point!.. But I have heared horror stories from Thai girls with many farang nationalities...
    And right or wrong.. This means all Thai girls know these stories..

So although you mean good with your solution on life insurance, I doubt any Thai girls (or her family) will see this as an adequate alternative for sin sot..
    ok, but why does it have to be the farang who takes all the risk?
    if a girl loves you, i don't even think she'd bring up sin sot
    wait.......let me rephrase that
    every girl will bring up sin sot 555
    but a girl who loves you won't insist on it or even stress it

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Are life insurance payments a tax deduction there?

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Are life insurance payments a tax deduction there?
    you mean the premiums you pay of the benefits the wife receives?

premiums you pay are not tax deductible
    the benefits payments are tax free

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    That's fair enough.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Look. If the girl marries an American in America. She is well protected by that states divorce laws beyond what any sin sot can offer. So in that case just play the sin sot for show and face and take the cash back. It's not rocket surgery.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Look. If the girl marries an American in America. She is well protected by that states divorce laws beyond what any sin sot can offer. So in that case just play the sin sot for show and face and take the cash back. It's not rocket surgery.
    i hate to break it to people
    but these girls that live outside thailand are learning about their rights in a divorce much more these days

Really good topic,

I married 10 years ago in Thailand. Sin Sot was discussed but I refused in the end, and it wasn't a big deal. I figured that I'd payed for two tourist visas, then the premanent residence visa, I'd supported my girl financially for over a year whilst she remained in Thailand, and I'd given her family plenty of cash and bought them plenty of things anyway. I'd paid my Sin Sot, so to speak, and wasn't prepared to fork out a heap more after marriage just for show.

I did take out the insurance policy but only after we had our second kid together. Even though we recently seperated, the policy remains, mainly for the kids, though we still get on surprisingly well.

just play the sin sot for show and face and take the cash back. It's not rocket surgery.
    Good luck with that dealing with some village families!! Besides, in these smaller communities everyone knows everything about anything, it would soon be known what you've done, kind of defeats the purpose.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Of course, there is not just one reason for Sin sod. No one is taking into the fact that sin sod is in many cases is for the parents. That is what my TG and her family and friends do with it.

Where poorer families are concerned Sin Sod is a repayment for the money invested in their daughter. Many families sell land, borrow money and generally go without to put their kids through university or to simply put food on the table; the Sin Sod is essentially a repayment for that investment. The amount paid for Sin Sod could be considered relative to that investment.
    Sin Sod - What You Should Pay To Marry Your Thai Girlfriend
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Of course, there is not just one reason for Sin sod. No one is taking into account the fact that sin sod is in many cases is for the parents. That is what my TG and her family and friends do with it.

Where poorer families are concerned Sin Sod is a repayment for the money invested in their daughter. Many families sell land, borrow money and generally go without to put their kids through university or to simply put food on the table; the Sin Sod is essentially a repayment for that investment. The amount paid for Sin Sod could be considered relative to that investment.
    Sin Sod - What You Should Pay To Marry Your Thai Girlfriend
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    at the end of the day its the groom, the bride and her family that have to be happy with any sin sot that is to be paid....there are no rules only expectations and whether they can be met/partially met....even as i said earlier a thrice married grandma of 8 and her family may try the sin sot card on...whilst a virgin doctor's family may give you their blessing and wave their hand away at any talk of sin sot...sorry mate...you are on your own here....555

Obviously common sense and some business/negotiation acumen needs to prevail here...its hard to put a figure on a girls head (whom you love) which is essentially what is being done with sinsot...at the end of the day if you think they are gipping you now you really need to be thinking of walking away....paying for the welfare of a greedy family may merely be the beginning of you shelling out at the sin sot stage...on the other hand you may never have another request...you are the only one who can make the call here with your particular TGF and family...be looking hard for the signs now whilst as you say you are still more than a year out of making any decisions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast