Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: - A Farangs Guide To Preparing For Thailand -

- A Farangs Guide To Preparing For Thailand -

The goal of this post is for members to load up the thread with..

- Tips on saving money for a trip
    - How to stay motivated before leaving and what practices you take
    - How to prepare mentally and physically
    - List mistakes you made in the past you wish you could have changed

Looking for personal and unique responses

A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    1) Book flights and hotel
    2) Pack bags
    3) don't leave common sense behind
    4) have fun

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post

Jeez .......It's a holiday....Just relax and have a good time.

Cadet Gold

1. Personally I took on a second job so I can go more often.
    2. How to stay motivated?? That is the last problem I face before leaving
    3. Masturbate furiously so you train your body to have more sex per day.
    4. I wish I had kept in touch with the girl I met on my first trip. I will never meet anyone like her, but I only know that now when it is too late.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Depends where you are coming from, but with flights use skyscanner or the like to find a decent fare. And don't just grab the cheapest option every time.. Most times the cheapest are cheap for a reason.. Sometimes you will get a decent deal from a great airline... But not always

If you are travelling, your local version of el cheapo airlines, the savings in the fare, may be illusionary... (it depends) If you are bringing booked luggage, the el cheapo mob will charge extra... if you want food, same same .... want a beer on the flight? same same.. My point is, it all adds up.. and suddenly the el cheapo fare doesn't compare so well to the full service airline.. And I find, that the el cheapo airlines seats are usually way smaller, so if you are a big bloke, that is something to consider on long haul flights.

Use one of the many aggregators available today to find the best deal on your hotel room. It doesn't take long and you will save big bucks at times.

Don't use travel agents. DIY.. you will save bucks

Don't book any tours offshore... do it there... again a pretty decent saving

buy your money in Thailand, not offshore

If you are heading for Patong, ask if your hotel provides a pick up from the airport.... I know of one that does it for free... If they don't, I use meter taxis. I have never had a problem with them at all.

I travel light... carry on and laptop... That's it.

Don't bring bathroom stuff with ya... buy it there.

Once in Patong, just go with the flow and plan not to plan. Things change by the minute.

there are the obvious things about Indian Tailors, and very attractive young English women on Bangla through the day, but I reckon, that is all part of the learning process.. it doesn't take long 55

Staying motivated? Isn't warm weather, nice beaches beautiful women, great food, cheapish grog enough motivation?

I think an important thing in actually enjoying the place, is to accept it for what it is. Sure they do **** we wouldn't do in our home countries, but it is their joint to do what they want. I think another thing to take out of your kitbag (if indeed it is in there), is don't judge the joint and the people, based on your experiences at home... It is just different... U either like it or ya don't.

And the most important thing?? Enjoy yourself.... IT'S A HOLIDAY afterall!!!

1) dont spend your money on crap, only spend your money on bills, rent, gas and necessities only. if your on 50k or more a year then yeah the money aspect wont be a problem
    2) Its Thailand 555. not hard to stay motivated thinking about it
    3) not to sure about mentally but physically i like to do long walks and jogs a couple of months before i leave so im reasonably fit by the time my trip starts
    Last edited by wabbits; 9th June 2013 at 12:04. Reason: respect the rules

Only one thing to say, you are right !
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Depends where you are coming from, but with flights use skyscanner or the like to find a decent fare. And don't just grab the cheapest option every time.. Most times the cheapest are cheap for a reason.. Sometimes you will get a decent deal from a great airline... But not always

If you are travelling, your local version of el cheapo airlines, the savings in the fare, may be illusionary... (it depends) If you are bringing booked luggage, the el cheapo mob will charge extra... if you want food, same same .... want a beer on the flight? same same.. My point is, it all adds up.. and suddenly the el cheapo fare doesn't compare so well to the full service airline.. And I find, that the el cheapo airlines seats are usually way smaller, so if you are a big bloke, that is something to consider on long haul flights.

Use one of the many aggregators available today to find the best deal on your hotel room. It doesn't take long and you will save big bucks at times.

Don't use travel agents. DIY.. you will save bucks

Don't book any tours offshore... do it there... again a pretty decent saving

buy your money in Thailand, not offshore

If you are heading for Patong, ask if your hotel provides a pick up from the airport.... I know of one that does it for free... If they don't, I use meter taxis. I have never had a problem with them at all.

I travel light... carry on and laptop... That's it.

Don't bring bathroom stuff with ya... buy it there.

Once in Patong, just go with the flow and plan not to plan. Things change by the minute.

there are the obvious things about Indian Tailors, and very attractive young English women on Bangla through the day, but I reckon, that is all part of the learning process.. it doesn't take long 55

Staying motivated? Isn't warm weather, nice beaches beautiful women, great food, cheapish grog enough motivation?

I think an important thing in actually enjoying the place, is to accept it for what it is. Sure they do **** we wouldn't do in our home countries, but it is their joint to do what they want. I think another thing to take out of your kitbag (if indeed it is in there), is don't judge the joint and the people, based on your experiences at home... It is just different... U either like it or ya don't.

And the most important thing?? Enjoy yourself.... IT'S A HOLIDAY afterall!!!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ I would agree that Dave01 has got it pretty well summed up.
    Just to add two things.
    Even though you are on holiday, you are still a representative of your own country, try and remember that and not act like too much of a d1ckhead.
    Learn a little bit about the local culture and try not to offend.. Walking about Patong during the day shirtless may be okay, but it is definitely not okay in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or any of the other places...

Usually its only done by Russians..........but Pete is right. Always good to learn the usual rules . never get loud, do not touch peoples...(except BG, Kt and anything else available...lol..) and NEVER get in a fight with a Thai, you always loose.............
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Just to add two things.
    Even though you are on holiday, you are still a representative of your own country, try and remember that and not act like too much of a d1ckhead.
    Learn a little bit about the local culture and try not to offend.. Walking about Patong during the day shirtless may be okay, but it is definitely not okay in Bangkok, Chiang Mai or any of the other places...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Just to add two things.
    100% agree! Sadly, the numbers that seem to forget this (or, more likely, are just not bothered) are proportionately quite high IMO, goes with the territory I suppose

[QUOTE=PeteGill;79904
    Learn a little bit about the local culture and try not to offend...[/QUOTE]

Agreed. In Thailand I'm often disgusted at the way some of my own countryman and women carry on.

I remember my last time in Patong. I was sitting having breakfast with my son at Baan Lai Mai and next to me were two Aussie woman, one in particular was whinging about everyone and everything Thailand. The whinger was then trying to ask a waiter for some more milk, he didn't understand her so I translated for her. There was no thank you or anything, she just went into a tirade and said "these Thais have terrible language skills", well that was it for me. I gave it to her saying that this was Thailand and that their language skills weren't the problem, throwing in several expletives along the way. It's often just the arrogance and ignorance that gets to me.

Good on you Tyrion ,loved to have witnessed that

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    Agreed. In Thailand I'm often disgusted at the way some of my own countryman and women carry on.

I remember my last time in Patong. I was sitting having breakfast with my son at Baan Lai Mai and next to me were two Aussie woman, one in particular was whinging about everyone and everything Thailand. The whinger was then trying to ask a waiter for some more milk, he didn't understand her so I translated for her. There was no thank you or anything, she just went into a tirade and said "these Thais have terrible language skills", well that was it for me. I gave it to her saying that this was Thailand and that their language skills weren't the problem, throwing in several expletives along the way. It's often just the arrogance and ignorance that gets to me.
    I can't stand farangs who literally convince themselves they are Thai and just try way too hard its so pathetic lol...I guess they were clowns in their own country and needed a place to be accepted...every single one of them thinks they are on some high horse in Thailand and act big I'd love to drop one

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    I can't stand farangs who literally convince themselves they are Thai and just try way too hard its so pathetic lol...I guess they were clowns in their own country and needed a place to be accepted...every single one of them thinks they are on some high horse in Thailand and act big.
    I'd love to drop one......Frrrrrrpppp........Hmm seems to have cleared the room
    There's typing and thinking out loud...you have to separate the two

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post

the lowest rates at Baan Lamai are 6400 in high season and 3700 in low season
    it doesn't matter what country you are in, the staff should have passable English or whatever may be the predominant tourist language if you are charging those rates
    there will always be language mishaps and confusion

but Thailand is the only country where i have stayed in 4-5 star hotels and had such language issues come up. with the exceptions being the true 5 star hotels like Shangri-La, Mandarin and the like
    i don't get too fussed about it, but it does happen on a fairly regular basis in Thailand

let's just use SEA countries, didn't have the same problems in Bali, Vietnam, Malaysia

two examples of many;
    we stayed the Le Meridien in BKK which is a solid 4 star hotel. we were at the pool and i ordered a Caesar Salad from the menu. The pool menu was limited with maybe 10 items. The waiter brought me the wrong thing 2 times before getting it right the 3rd time. I was pointing to the Caesar Salad on the menu. If you are charging 200usd/nt you should be trainer your staff that is servicing the pool to learn the limited menu

we stayed ay Anantara in BKK, rated as 5 star. I think around similar, 200usd/nt. I would say 20% of the staff knew passable english. But they would never hire someone like my wife because she doesn't have a degree even though she is fluent in English

so i agree that people should be patient and respect the culture but if a hotel in an international tourist destination is charging 6k/nt and bills itself as a 4-5star hotel, they should have capable staff

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDK View Post
    13. Masturbate furiously so you train your body to have more sex per day.
    5555 I thought I was the only one that did that.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    5555 I thought I was the only one that did that.
    Taking these supplements will increase your performance and paint job 10 fold via volume, intensity etc...

(1) L-Arginine, 1000mg Strength, Taken 1 time daily = 1000mg
    (2) Zinc, 50mg Strength, Taken 1 time daily = 50mg
    (3) Pygeum, 100mg Strength, Taken 2 times daily = 200mg
    (4) Lecithin, 1200mg Strength, Taken 1 time daily = 1200mg

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Taking these supplements will increase your performance and paint job 10 fold via volume, intensity etc...

(1) L-Arginine, 1000mg Strength, Taken 1 time daily = 1000mg
    (2) Zinc, 50mg Strength, Taken 1 time daily = 50mg
    (3) Pygeum, 100mg Strength, Taken 2 times daily = 200mg
    (4) Lecithin, 1200mg Strength, Taken 1 time daily = 1200mg
    If a young man like yourself wants to improve his performance, I think the focus should be on the mental part...
    Way more to gain there than in supplements..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    If a young man like yourself wants to improve his performance, I think the focus should be on the mental part...
    i just love the term "paint job" 5555

i am starting to like the new trapflex!!

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Ya gotta have both...'more more more more' is my philosophy...gotta take whatever and do whatever it takes to progress and to never be satisfied.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast