Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Interesting article on Issan economy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Interesting article on Issan economy

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    had to eventuate under this govt, return of loyaty and the area has been held down too long

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    had to eventuate under this govt, return of loyaty and the area has been held down too long
    although it seems to have been happening for a while? Though I guess Thaksin got the ball rolling years ago...

Monthly household income rose 40 percent between 2007 and 2011, the biggest jump of any Thai region. Interviews with businessmen and investment data suggest the trend is continuing.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Most of Isaan's rise from poverty may be attributed to the Royal family and pre-Thaksin government initiatives. This is often distorted by pro red-shirt-reporting which forgets to note the implementation of Isaan-wide village water and electricity supplies was already under-way before Thaksin came to power. Thaksin claimed 'proprietorship' via his extensive propaganda machine.

Improved village living conditions, power & TV, + mobile phones brought Isaan out of the dark ages and many young single and married Isaan people headed to the 'big smoke' for work ... sending almost all income and savings home ... to Isaan. Thaksin capitalised on this.

That is changing. Government policies have pushed up purchasing power by subsidising agricultural products such as rice, tapioca and rubber. Under Yingluck's government, farmers have been paid 15,000 baht per tonne of unmilled rice, a 50 percent premium over market prices, according to exporters.
    Rubber subsidies were introduced by Abbhisit in the form of low % loans to acquire more land and cheaper (sometimes FREE) sapling supply. The Yingluck rice pledging scheme has the potential to damage Isaan's economy in the near future as it's unsustainable and costing 100's of billions of baht to build unsaleable stockpiles.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Most of Isaan's rise from poverty may be attributed to the Royal family and pre-Thaksin government initiatives. This is often distorted by pro red-shirt-reporting which forgets to note the implementation of Isaan-wide village water and electricity supplies was already under-way before Thaksin came to power. Thaksin claimed 'proprietorship' via his extensive propaganda machine.

Improved village living conditions, power & TV, + mobile phones brought Isaan out of the dark ages and many young single and married Isaan people headed to the 'big smoke' for work ... sending almost all income and savings home ... to Isaan. Thaksin capitalised on this.

Rubber subsidies were introduced by Abbhisit in the form of low % loans to acquire more land and cheaper (sometimes FREE) sapling supply. The Yingluck rice pledging scheme has the potential to damage Isaan's economy in the near future as it's unsustainable and costing 100's of billions of baht to build unsaleable stockpiles.
    all good remarks KR
    you seem pretty read up on it

^ with most reporting, one must look beyond the bias.

I wonder what Ao's take on it is? Many in Jo's baan have forgotten the sequence of events and hail Thaksin/Yingluck as their heroes without qualification.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^ with most reporting, one must look beyond the bias.

I wonder what Ao's take on it is? Many in Jo's baan have forgotten the sequence of events and hail Thaksin/Yingluck as their heroes without qualification.
    Ao is not from Isaan
    Born in Petchaburi near Cha Am, then Suphan Buri from 10-13 and BKK since she was 13yrs old

but she was home for 5 weeks recently and remarked how expensive all the food was and all the thais were pinning minimum wage as the culprit

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    There is a little bit more to this story...
    Cassave grows fast and has a high energy value, that's why it is so popular as lifestock food in the the west (where lifestock farming is susidiesed).
    Same time, it takes this ebergy away from the soil, so fertile land can become very infertile within years.. Still farmers chose to farm cassave for short time higher profits..

Other thing is water management and the regular flooding. Besides to obvious, water containment upstream has major effects downstream. Rice growing is all about containing the water in the farmland, the alternatives are not..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Cassave grows fast and has a high energy value, that's why it is so popular as lifestock food in the the west (where lifestock farming is susidiesed).
    Same time, it takes this ebergy away from the soil, so fertile land can become very infertile within years.. Still farmers chose to farm cassave for short time higher profits..

Other thing is water management and the regular flooding. Besides to obvious, water containment upstream has major effects downstream. Rice growing is all about containing the water in the farmland, the alternatives are not..

Add to this that the Govt. rice subsidies mostly don't fall into the poorest farmers hands.
    They have to get their crop to market (the Rice millers) to claim the subsidy.
    They can either borrow the money to get their crop in and off from the local Chinese lady @ 5% per month (x5 months = 25%) or pledge the crop to a middle man, transporter, miller who then collects the subsidy.
    Some villages have collectives where the subsidies are decided by the Poo Yai Baan on the basis of redshirt voter or not.

My understanding is a major % of the rice subsidies fall into the hands of the five major Thai-Chinese milling families - which completely defeats the purpose of empowering the poor farmers.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Ao is not from Isaan
    Born in Petchaburi near Cha Am, then Suphan Buri from 10-13 and BKK since she was 13yrs old

but she was home for 5 weeks recently and remarked how expensive all the food was and all the thais were pinning minimum wage as the culprit
    Well if they tipped......then.....55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Ao is not from Isaan

Paul, I wasn't inferring Ao was from any particular part. These historical events affect nearly ALL rural areas, mainly Isaan and Central lowlands but Thai's have forgotten, or choose not to remember history.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Same time, it takes this ebergy away from the soil, so fertile land can become very infertile within years.. Still farmers chose to farm cassave for short time higher profits..~
    Cassava is a very low value crop and usually grown where rice or sugar cane cannot. My family put it on poor unproductive land as an extra between season crop but it's so labour intensive one must use family to plant and harvest or there's no profit at all.

Cheers, Rob.

Abolishing the scheme may have caused short-term pain but this will help ease ultimate agony > PM to keep 'sustainable' rice-purchase programme | Bangkok Post: news

Yingluck's minions must now shift old rice stockpiled at mills before it's value erodes to stock-feed level, preferably before this seasons end-of year harvest.
    Cheers, Rob.

Abolishing the scheme may have caused short-term pain but this will help ease ultimate agony > PM to keep 'sustainable' rice-purchase programme | Bangkok Post: news

Yingluck's minions must now shift old rice stockpiled at mills before it's value erodes to stock-feed level, preferably before this seasons end-of year harvest.
    it is not in that article but i think they have lost 2.3billion dollars on it, i think i read?

it is not in that article but i think they have lost 2.3billion dollars on it, i think i read?
    I think those were Gov't figures, the opposition says it's double.

Just found this > Review & Outlook: Thailand's Ruinous Rice Subsidy - WSJ.com
    Cheers, Rob.

Responding to criticism of her rice program's losses, Ms. Yingluck said this week that what really matters is how her scheme has improved farmers' livelihoods. In reality, the rice subsidy has only created dependence on unsustainable handouts. Now that the government plans to scale back its assistance, farmers' groups have threatened to shut down Bangkok with protests.
    Many farmers have gone on a spending spree; uni for kids, new car, m/bike, home improvements etc. Trouble is many capital expenses, such as the new Hilux, are financed.

Similarly, many young people (and some not so young investors) have been buying up rice-producing land (with mainly borrowed money) in order to cash in on the bonanza ... we all know what pain lies ahead in that regard!

My family have modest land holdings, 70% leased long-term, and also manage a friends smaller 'investment' farm of ~12 rai. 18 months ago we were offered it @ 600k. This year the price went to 800k and along came a cash buyer but the Bangkok friend upped the price to a mil. Another buyer came along and it was bumped to 1.2mBt. I think Isaan farm values may have plateau'd.

As I write TNN are showing stockpiled rice in some of the biggest mills and talking about the mad rush to build extensions .... sheer madness!
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    With the rise in prices can there be a rise in girly bars be far behind? Maybe all those pretty Issan gals will soon be staying home to reap the benefits.

Just funning with you lads. I think there are enough to go around.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    With the rise in prices can there be a rise in girly bars be far behind? Maybe all those pretty Issan gals will soon be staying home to reap the benefits.

Just funning with you lads. I think there are enough to go around.
    Maybe just the opposit, Ian..
    With the Isarn spending upped, the money required to keep the "normal" life going a lot more is needed...

If subsidies are gone.. Probably not a girl left in the Isarn..555