Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember these 2 that shotup Patong??

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Remember these 2 that shotup Patong??

We spoke elsewhere when this happened.

From todays SMH News:

Two Australian men who faced attempted murder charges in a shooting incident on the Thai resort island of Phuket have received suspended jail sentences.

John Edward Cohen, 33, from NSW, and Adam Lewis Shea, 26, from Tasmania, were detained in January after the shooting incident in which two German tourists were wounded.

A Thai court, in a recent judgment, sentenced the Australian men to six months and 15 days in prison, but with the term suspended on condition of good behaviour for two years.

Legal sources said the men had also paid fines.

Senior Thai police had initially called for "the highest penalties under the law" after the incident which was sparked when the men pursued a Danish man they were in conflict with over an outstanding $A10,000 debt.

Cohen, a tattoo business owner in Phuket, told authorities he had feared for his life after associates of the Danish man, Dennis Knudsen, had visited his home.

Cohen had sued Knudsen over the outstanding monies, but when the Dane had failed to appear at the court, Cohen later told police they were prepared to "strike first".

On the evening of January 22, the Australians went in pursuit of Knudsen along Phuket's Patong Beach area. Upon seeing the Dane leaving a hotel, Cohen opened fire.

Two German tourists, Johann Baschenegger, 42, and Joseph Woerner, 71, were wounded by stray bullets, Baschenegger seriously. CCTV footage showed the two men running back into the Baan Pirin Hotel clutching their wounded arms.

Police later arrested Knudsen, who was detained in the same prison as Cohen and Shea.

News of the Australians' sentence comes as diplomats recently raised concerns about the safety of tourists in Phuket from crime, corruption, and dangerous road and sea conditions.

Phuket is now considered "the most dangerous place" in the world for Australians, according to figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs.

About 100 Australians died in Thailand last year. Around 930,000 Australian tourists visited Thailand in 2012, with an average of 30,000 Australians staying in Phuket in any given month.

Read more: Aussies in Phuket shooting avoid jail
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    News of the Australians' sentence comes as diplomats recently raised concerns about the safety of tourists in Phuket from crime, corruption, and dangerous road and sea conditions.
    Whilst what happened in Patong and subsequently is appalling, the diplomats need to look in their own backyard before pointing the finger.

Gold Coast might need marketing campaign to overcome crime reputation with tourists, says Mayor Tom Tate | News.com.au
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Phuket "the most dangerous place in the world" WTF. Now I have a 3km ride back to my room shortly and a trip to the Airport tomorrow morning- can I get out of here alive
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Phuket "the most dangerous place in the world" WTF. Now I have a 3km ride back to my room shortly and a trip to the Airport tomorrow morning- can I get out of here alive
    you might need a body gaurd 5555.most dangerous place in the world..who writes this rubbish

Just say you are a Kiwi... you'll be fine.... it's only the Australians that need to worry apparently...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Highest penalties under the law. Clearly Thais don't consider gun fights resulting in bystander woundings as a particularly significant crime - 6 months reduced to suspended sentence!! What do you get if you don't hit anyone - an instant fine??

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrodders View Post
    Highest penalties under the law. Clearly Thais don't consider gun fights resulting in bystander woundings as a particularly significant crime - 6 months reduced to suspended sentence!! What do you get if you don't hit anyone - an instant fine??
    Didn't you note they also paid "A Fine" as well 5555555

I noted that over 30,000 Ausie's are in Phuket in any one month, no wonder you guys keep bumping into each other at the Golf Course 5555

I'd rather walk through Bangkok or Patong ANY night of the week, at any hour, than Surfers Paradise or Southport (SE Queensland's tourism centres).
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I know that comment 'the most dangerous place in the world' appears ridiculous, however, where else in the world do Aussies have a hundred a year die? Even Iraq and Afghanistan don't have those sort of figures, assuming they're accurate.

Yeah, I've always felt perfectly safe in Phuket though. Plenty of places in Sydney that are 'no go' zones, none in Phuket that I've found, a few lady boy bars maybe.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I'd rather walk through Bangkok or Patong ANY night of the week, at any hour, than Surfers Paradise or Southport (SE Queensland's tourism centres).
    Me too and not just for the safety factor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    I know that comment 'the most dangerous place in the world' appears ridiculous, however, where else in the world do Aussies have a hundred a year die? Even Iraq and Afghanistan don't have those sort of figures, assuming they're accurate.

Yeah, I've always felt perfectly safe in Phuket though. Plenty of places in Sydney that are 'no go' zones, none in Phuket that I've found, a few lady boy bars maybe.
    In that 100 was it demographiced how many by violence, or misadventure, accident, natural causes etc.

Old press angle never let the actual truth get in the way of sensation journalism, bend it shape it anyway you can, just make sure the reader does not delve past what is in print

In that 100 was it demographiced how many by violence, or misadventure, accident, natural causes etc.

Old press angle never let the actual truth get in the way of sensation journalism, bend it shape it anyway you can, just make sure the reader does not delve past what is in print
    Yeah sure, no doubt the quote has been twisted. Many Aussies go to Thailand to retire, they're old and eventually die and Thailand would also hold one of the largest Aussie ex-pat populations in the world. But it still raises the question, where else in the world would 100 die each year?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post
    Yeah sure, no doubt the quote has been twisted. Many Aussies go to Thailand to retire, they're old and eventually die and Thailand would also hold one of the largest Aussie ex-pat populations in the world. But it still raises the question, where else in the world would 100 die each year?
    2012 Australian overseas deaths - top 10
    Rank - Country - Total deaths
    1 Thailand 111
    2 Philippines 68
    3 Greece 60
    4 Vietnam 54
    5 US 51
    6 Indonesia 48
    7 Germany 41
    8 Hong Kong 40
    9 China 38
    10 UK 28
    *Source: DFAT

Read more: Australians dying overseas in record numbers | News.com.au
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    The real question is what are the causes of their deaths, if it includes old age I would of thought the number to be higher?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    In 2012,
    illness accounted for 25 per cent of deaths
    followed by natural deaths (22 per cent),
    accidental (7 per cent)
    suicide (0.6 per cent). To protect the privacy of families or where deaths are still being investigated,
    45 per cent of deaths were classified as "unknown" by DFAT. For example, if one person was murdered in Peru they would put this down as "unknown" because it was easily identifiable.

Officials said the increase reflected a boost in the overall number of people travelling abroad.
    "There have not been any unusual trends in the figures for deaths of Australians overseas in 2012," a DFAT spokesperson said. "More Australians are travelling and living abroad than ever before, and these figures reflect that increase."
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet
    I believe there is a noticeable bias in the Oz media to all things less than perfect in Thailand.
    This bias is clearly about trying to prop up an overpriced local tourism industry.
    Even in the bush you pick up the local rag and every second newlywed couple are heading to LOS or Bali for their honeymoon.
    Put into perspective these figures these figures don't mean squat.

Quote Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
    I believe there is a noticeable bias in the Oz media to all things less than perfect in Thailand.
    This bias is clearly about trying to prop up an overpriced local tourism industry.
    Even in the bush you pick up the local rag and every second newlywed couple are heading to LOS or Bali for their honeymoon.
    Put into perspective these figures these figures don't mean squat.
    Spot on! Why do ppl even buy newspapers ... except for cleaning windows. 555

It's not just an Asian bias, more a case of putting a spin on ANYTHING to create a headline. Todays (Australian regional) Journo's are pimply-faced teenagers straight out of school with no Worldly experience.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post

Phuket is now considered "the most dangerous place" in the world for Australians, according to figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs.........
    For those not familiar with it we should mention that newspaper, the SMH (Sydney Morning Herald) is the equivalent of a Fleet Street tabloid. Total rubbish.

and I just love the logic. Australians are now being warned to stay away from a place because it is regarded as dangerous and the proof of this danger is exampled by a violent crime and shooting carried out by two Australians....

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

I agree with all that has been said, total rubbish but i found it such a shock when i read it, I just had to post it.

Imagine how many people planing a holiday, would change thier mind on destination, after reading this tripe?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    For those not familiar with it we should mention that newspaper, the SMH (Sydney Morning Herald) is the equivalent of a Fleet Street tabloid. Total rubbish.

and I just love the logic. Australians are now being warned to stay away from a place because it is regarded as dangerous and the proof of this danger is exampled by a violent crime and shooting carried out by two Australians....

Enjoy...
    yes that did make me laugh..do you think there readers picked up on that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast